Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdude View Post
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Developed the game with an iPad 1 so didn't even consider the screen orientation to be an issue. The game is oriented so that the dock connecter is on the left hand side. Would it be better the other way around?
it would be best if you let the player choose, by adjusting the screen orientation based on how the system is being held. That is what most games do these days.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Not sure what to make of this. I want to like it, as the graphics are good, the subject matter appeals to me and the base mechanics/gameplay are there. However, I find it much too slow and frustrating to actually play. The first shot is generally a total waste, as without laying a protractor on the screen there is no way to get a decent angle from the short distance your finger can move and crude on screen indicator. Range/power is a little easier using the circles, and if the enemy hasn't moved after firing then his power setting should work back towards him also.

Granted it would be possible to make it too easy if the player was given much aid, but maybe a rough estimate of the angle using an onscreen protractor would help. Which reminds me...the angle numbers count the wrong way...they should increase when turning clockwise, opposite of the way they are now.

Also, maybe a semi-permanent onscreen marker of where the previous shots landed with the angle/power settings used would be useful. If the enemy shps aren't visible when the shots land the shot was totally wasted, and even if they are it's a pretty brief moment to figure out the adjustment required.

With a few additions/aids I think this could be a fun game, but as it is now it's a "could have been" for me.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Getting close to first update

We are getting close to releasing an update to Battle Fleet. Subscribe to our newsletter to find out when the update goes live or just watch this thread.

To thank you all for the great feedback and patience as we add new features, here are a few promo codes while you wait:

JXFNFLA94XR9
KLLWHP7JJNML
49PAK4TRLPMA
YMHR66M34Y33
RAF6TYKRKXX4
Old 07-16-2011, 05:30 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

I've taken YMHR66M34Y33

Thanks JJ, will get back with my thoughts on Battle Fleet in due course...
Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Default Battle Fleet updated to 1.1

Hey guys, the first update to Battle Fleet has just gone live! New features include new US Campaign missions, new narration, new sounds, fixes to ship selection.

Let me know what you think of the new missions.

New updates are in the works, including the Japanese campaign!

http://bit.ly/battlefleet
Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Has any consideration been given to adding some level of player aid/assistance? I've taken to using a clear plastic ruler laid over the screen to help with estimating both range and angle, and while a very unwieldy kludge it has allowed me to at least make it through the first few missions without wanting to smash my iPad in frustration.

As I'm also finding myself using a pen and paper to make notes about which angle/power was used by which ship (both friendly and enemy) and what corrections may be needed, I can't help but wonder if this isn't a bit of a step backwards in the electronic age.

Would it be possible to add a ship display that shows the weapons loadouts, current damage level, as well as the systems that have been damaged/destroyed (engine, turrets etc.)? A description of the various damage effects would be good too (ie what does a fuel explosion do exactly?)

Should ships be able to shoot through/over islands at other ships? I think not, as LOS would be blocked. This would add another tactical element also if ships were able to "hide" behind land.

Also, occasionally when the course/gun angle indicator is onscreen, when I touch well outside of the circle to scroll the map the angle will change instead. It only happens intermittently but might be something to watch for.

Please o please o please change the angle control & readout so that they increase with clockwise rotation (opposite of the way it works now).

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Hi Harv, Thanks for taking the time to write out your feedback. I'm always looking for ways to improve the game.

Player assistance is a difficult topic as I don't want to remove the fundamental challenge of the game, but I do understand your frustration. I am working on features that will allow for temporary aids and a salvo fire feature that will fire all guns at once (for a devastating attack). All I can say for now is to follow the tips from the tutorial, use a spread turret for your first shot. This has a much higher chance of hitting on the first shot and is the best way to fine tune your aim.

The power and angle from your previous shot are listed above the current power and angle, this way you will know what your last shot was and how to adjust it. You can also tap on those values to quickly restore them and then just modify with the + and - buttons.

Good point about damaged systems, I will try to add that in on the ship info panel (bottom right). Fuel explosion just does additional damage, no other effects.

Yes, the islands will play more of a role in future updates. There will be a distinction between small and large islands. You will be able to fire over small islands but not over large ones.

The angle indicator does have a larger hit area than just the compass shows, I am working on fine tuning that so that you don't accidentally change the angle when touching just outside of it.

I think it may be too late to change the angle rotation to clockwise, from a technical standpoint and from a user standpoint. Most people are now used to this orientation, but I'll research it further.

Thanks !
Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

I just found this game and already have sent it to 2 of my friends to buy. Really impressive and polished game. I was wondering if there were any plans for online multiplayer in the works? My first email to my friend was, let's play multiplayer after the tutorial. My second email was oops never mind.

Fantastic game though, feels like a miniature war game.

Ps I agree with the clockwise rotation for + on angle, rather confusing to me in my first game.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Thanks RangerRob! Yes there are plans for online multiplayer, but we are working on getting the Japanese campaign out first. So it is coming, just might be another month or two.

If you want to be notified of new updates you can sign up for our newsletter on the game website or just subscribe to this thread.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 AM
iPad 2

This game is upside down, it seriously needs to be fixed.

Ideally allow the user to choose the orientation, or worst case flip it 180deg so that it is in he correct orientation. Most users have the iPad/iPad2 in a case, which puts the home button on the right side when in landscape mode.