★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

why do YOU jailbreak?

07-06-2011, 11:17 PM
#21
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Louisville
Posts: 837
The best thing from my JB?

BiteSMS. Extraordinarily useful and I recommend anyone with a jailbroken iPhone look into it.

SbSettings is awesome and I love the emulators.

I don't pirate apps n such.

ID on GameCenter: Joshnsuch

Mention you're from TA if you send a request. This would please me.
07-06-2011, 11:38 PM
#22
know some of you are thinking, “Why should I jailbreak my iPod?” Well there are many reasons.

Add applications that make the most out of your iPod such as Instant Messaging, Screencapturers, Customize options, Computer Controllers, etc.
Add awesome games such as Parking Lot, Tetris, Mah Jong, Gameboy games, etc.
Get the January Update Package with the Wiggle Feature for FREE.
Add dictionaries, Youtube downloaders, free music downloaders, etc. etc. etc.

09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
#23
I cant live without Jailbreak, there so many tweaks to make each iPhone different and cool stuff, here are some that i can live without :

SBSettings - should come preinstalled in every iPhone
FolderEnhancer - Folders like they should be
AndroidLock XT - better unlocking security
Winterboard - theming
Gridlock - place any icon anywhere on the screen
AlertArtist - welcome black notifications
Color Keyboard - custom keyboard
Alphacon - no app names
Five Column SB and Dock - a lot more apps
Perpage - a different wallpaper in every page

And an image to get an idea:
09-21-2011, 07:35 AM
#24
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: The distant future year 1999
Posts: 1,002
The four main reasons I jailbreak my iPhone are Lockinfo, Custom text alert sounds, hapticpro and SBsettings. When iOS 5 is finally released I no longer plan on keeping it jailbroken as it will cover two of those things.

The two main reasons I jailbreak my iPad are Retinapad and video mirroring. Since iOS 5 won't cover those issues I plan to keep it jailbroken on 4.1 for quite a while.
09-21-2011, 01:03 PM
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamcan View Post
The two main reasons I jailbreak my iPad are Retinapad and video mirroring.
Yes, Retinapad! This is my #1 reason for jailbreaking. Couldn't live without it.
09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
#26
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: The distant future year 1999
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghouls'R'us View Post
Yes, Retinapad! This is my #1 reason for jailbreaking. Couldn't live without it.
It's absolutely dumbfounding that Apple's method for running iPhone apps with retina graphics on the iPad is to scale them down to 480x320 and double size them. Considering the iPad has a slightly higher resolution then the iPhone 4 it makes absolutely no sense.
09-21-2011, 01:59 PM
#27
@Spamcan
It's not supposed to make sense, it's all about product strategy. Their initial wish was to avoid a flood of iPhone "retina res" ports with black borders around them to the iPad, so they simply chose to implement this "artificial limitation". The only other argument I can see is that the 1st gen iPad has less physical memory than the iPhone 4, but as Retinapad proves, it is not a dealbreaker and can be dealt with fairly easily since all games must still account for older devices.

This hindrance is purely strategic on Apple's part. I doubt they'll even backtrack now that their launch is long over, since it would bring undesired inquiries, risk hurting their overall image by revealing that they were purposefully disingenuous.
09-21-2011, 04:03 PM
#28
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,485
I originally set out to JB because I wanted to swap the files for DOOM with Goldeneye.wad. But that failed... But I have stayed JBen because of all the awesome customisation and making my device easier to use.

I didn't think it, but SBSettings is SO good! My sleep button is broken, so I can simulate it with other buttons to be able to take screenshots - and ultimately turn off my device!!

Also, menus look a lot less bland with colour customising

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.
09-21-2011, 04:51 PM
#29
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: The distant future year 1999
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghouls'R'us View Post
@Spamcan
It's not supposed to make sense, it's all about product strategy. Their initial wish was to avoid a flood of iPhone "retina res" ports with black borders around them to the iPad, so they simply chose to implement this "artificial limitation". The only other argument I can see is that the 1st gen iPad has less physical memory than the iPhone 4, but as Retinapad proves, it is not a dealbreaker and can be dealt with fairly easily since all games must still account for older devices.

This hindrance is purely strategic on Apple's part. I doubt they'll even backtrack now that their launch is long over, since it would bring undesired inquiries, risk hurting their overall image by revealing that they were purposefully disingenuous.
Oh believe me I understand that, it's still absolute bullshit on their part. Same goes for the iPad 1 not being able to do video mirroring yet one line of text added to a system file enables it. If it weren't for those ridiculous restrictions I probably wouldn't even have jailbroken the iPad on 4.1. They do the same thing with the iPhone, the 3GS is missing the extra text alert sounds added to the iPhone 4 and the HDR camera function. It's planned obsolescence taken to the ultimate extreme.
09-21-2011, 04:57 PM
#30
I recently JB my iPad 2 for iMAME4all. It all started when I got an iCade, and someone posted a video of the iCade playing MAME games. And that was that!

But I am utterly amazed at how much better iOS is now that I can use all sorts of wonderful tweaks by indie JB devs. Suffice it to say that I will be JB'ing all my iOS devices from now on. It's sad how much Apple limits iOS. For example, just being able to put as many apps in a folder as I want --- something so simple --- with JB I can do it. But Apple won't let me. Dumb.