★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Wouter Bijlsma
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 6.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Snipes! - A remake of the classic DOS game.

You are alone in a maze full of snipes. Your goal is to survive, and to rid the maze of those pesky snipes and the hives they are spawning from.

In the tradition of the classic DOS game, Snipes! features retro ASCII graphics, PC speaker sound effects and a huge set of difficulty settings (154 skill levels) with online leaderboards and achievements. Even though gameplay has been tweaked subtly to bring the game into the 21st century, the game stays true to its '80s roots.

Can you beat the snipes on every skill level?
06-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Anyone else remember playing this on PCs?

Was sad to see it has no network support, might pick it up anyway...

Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post

Worst idea ever!
06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Pick it up now!!!
06-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Enjoying it so far, personally I think the game is worth some attention.
07-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by alain91 View Post
Enjoying it so far, personally I think the game is worth some attention.
It really has appeal to me.
07-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm the author of the game, good to see my game was picked up by this forum and you enjoy it!

I wrote this game because I remembered playing it on my dads old XT, back when a color-screen was the pinnacle of PC technology, and because I was looking for a nice first project to learn iOS programming. The basic gameplay is still pretty good today, especially on the higher levels wiping the maze clear can be pretty challenging. So writing this game was both a nice and instructive exercise, and a way to relive a little nostalgy with a game I used to enjoy

If any of you have feedback or questions on the game, or think the game is missing something, or needs to be fixed somehow, just let me know!

Also, don't hesitate to rate the game of course

No network play, at least for now. I wrote this in my spare time, outside my day job, so it took quite a while to finish the basic gameplay as it is right now. I might consider adding network play if enough people buy the game, but I'm not planning to do so when only a handful of people actually have the game . Since the game cannot use GameCenter natively (too many leaderboards, GameCenter only supports 25 per game), adding network play is decidedly non-trivial. Maybe if manymanymany people ask for it . I have some other iOS and OS X application ideas in my head right now, so I will probably spend more time on those than on Snipes! for a while.