★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: We fight off host and cellular immune responses with armies of our virions, RNA genomes, and viral proteins. We steal energy and abuse cell resources to spread our infection. We are infectious, we are disease, we are the Raven Virus. We have numbers and speed on our side, use us wisely and recklessly.

Virulent is a action/strategy game that was designed and developed by the Education Research Challenge Area at the Morgridge Institute for Research, a non-profit biomedical research institute. This game was designed in collaboration with the Systems Biology research group at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery and a faculty member from the Medical Microbiology and Immunology department at the University of Wisconsin - Madison.

njpatt's comments:
Hi all, I am the designer for and a developer in a small team that created a game called 'Virulent' for the iPad (ios 3.2+). We could use more feedback than we have currently been receiving, good and bad are good for us as we build out the remaining levels. Do your worst.... but constructive criticism is appreciated

Here is the AppStore info:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virulent/id438485177?mt=8

Synopsis
We fight off host and cellular immune responses with armies of our virions, RNA genomes, and viral proteins. We steal energy and manipulate cell resources to spread our infection. We are infectious, we are disease, we are the Raven Virus. We have numbers and speed on our side, use us wisely and recklessly.

Virulent is a action/strategy game that was designed and developed by the Education Research Challenge Area at the Morgridge Institute for Research, a non-profit biomedical research institute. This game was designed in collaboration with the Systems Biology research group at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery and a faculty member from the Medical Microbiology and Immunology department at the University of Wisconsin - Madison.

We also have a build for the Unity web player:
http://discovery.wisc.edu/erca

Thanks!
06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Wow, this is really, really good!! It's very short, but it is just fantastic. The gameplay is tight and the art style is great. The game plays like flight control and some kind of starcraft micro challenge map mixed together (which for me is really good.)

A couple of things:

Cells have pretty jagged edges. Would it be possible to clean these up a bit? The game seems mostly polished and looks great except for this, and I feel like the game would be that much more impressive visually if they were a bit better.

Being a starcraft player, I'm pretty used to being overloaded by unit response sounds, but I could see this being a problem for some. I couldn't hear some of the instructions for infecting cells and ribosomes because of this.

That being said, I will play the hell out of this game when it's longer. ))
06-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks for playing and the feedback!

If you like the main set of levels, try the challenges (currently unlocked when you finish level 7). There are two of them and they are both micro challenges.

We are submitting another update to the Appstore this Friday (July 1) with 2 more levels (and hopefully an extra challenge level as well)
07-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Virulent Update

Hey all,
I am the designer of and a developer for 'Virulent' on the iPad. We just got our latest update posted to the AppStore and could use some feedback to improve on what we have and what we are still developing. The update includes a couple new levels in the storyline that we feel are our best ones yet.

It's a free download so give it a try and let us know what you think.

Thanks in advance for playing,
Nathan

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virulent/id438485177?mt=8
07-14-2011, 09:14 PM

05-25-2014, 12:42 AM
This hasn't been updated in years, but I'm pleased to report it runs beautifully on my iOS 7 iPad. It plays quite a bit like Galconn, but with more depth due to the subject matter's implementation.