Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Default ASYNC Corp.

Hello Touch Arcade!

My name is Matthew LoPresti, and I was a Game Designer for Powerhead Games. I just wanted to introduce to you guys our last game, ASYNC Corp.

iTunes link: http://t.co/V9paTcp

It's a fun puzzle game, influenced by games like Tetris and Lumines, as well as WipEout's Zone Mode. So if you like anyone of those games, I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy ASYNC Corp. It's only $1 and is available now on the iPhone App Store.

You can also check out the trailer:

http://youtu.be/VPYmIdosesc

And if you were wondering, the catchy song that starts at the half-way mark is indeed in the game. We worked with chiptunes artist FearofDark and got Spectronosis in the game, which I was very happy about, as it's an awesome song

Some of you may actually know our previous game, Glow Artisan. Well, this is our follow-up to that game. Glow Artisan won IGF's Best Mobile Game Design Award in 2010, incidentally.

Well, we hope you enjoy it!

iTunes link: http://t.co/V9paTcp

Matthew LoPresti

Last edited by Cronotriggers; 06-28-2011 at 06:11 PM..
Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Looks pretty neat - can you describe the gameplay a tad more? Are you just trying to swap bits to make 2x2 blocks? Are the smiley face blocks good or bad?

If I hadn't just dropped a ton of iTunes bucks on Nickelodeon apps for my daughter ($0.99 cent sale!) I'd TOFFT based on the looks/music alone...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronotriggers View Post
It's a fun puzzle game, influenced by games like Tetris and Lumines, as well as WipEout's Zone Mode. So if you like anyone of those games, I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy ASYNC Corp. It's only $1 and is available now on the iPhone App Store.
This looks brilliant, any plans for a lite version?

And, er, I really need to hear more about how it's like WipEout's Zone Mode, just for my own curiosity
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

It's a bit hard to tell exactly what the gameplay entails, but I'm almost convinced regardless.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
It's a bit hard to tell exactly what the gameplay entails, but I'm almost convinced regardless.
From the trailer, it looks like you just touch one block on each side of the screen, and if it makes a 2x2 block (at least) of the same colour on either side, it will swap the blocks over and make that 2x2, then you can tap it to make it disappear or keep making it bigger.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

@drelbs/@Gabrien Basically, you are swapping blocks between wells to create 2 x 2 blocks of the same color. A player simply selects a block from each well, and if it creates a match in either or both wells, the blocks will swap and you created a Packet. However, you HAVE TO CREATE A MATCH TO SWAP. Otherwise the blocks won't swap. The player then taps a Packet to "send" it. A player can also extend a Packet if it creates a rectangle or a full square dimension (3x3) through a swap. If you are good enough, you can create a Packet the size of the entire well, which we call an "ASYNC".

The idea is that you are working at ASYNC Corp. creating and sending Packets for them. The smiley blocks are basically ASYNC Corp's way of making you feel happy as you work for them. They're a devious bunch Beyond that it's just visual flair.

@toythatkills

Sorry, no Lite version. The actual story is that the entire ASYNC Corp. team was laid off an hour after we submitted the game to Apple. Which was a bit risky, as we would have had no one to fix it if the game bounced the submission process! There were a million things we wanted to do with ASYNC (Game Center, updates, etc), but that sort of died out, along with my job

As for WipEOut Zone similarities, we have a mode called "Zoning", which requires the player to fill a meter up by creating and sending packets. If you don't send any Packets the meter goes down by a certain speed. Reaching the next level also increases the Meter's decrease rate/speed. If you can get to the higher levels, you really need to move fast, as the Meter drops very quickly. Each level increases the speed at which you need to make/send Packets. So it's a more active version of WipEout Zone's design, where the player creates the speed. But the end result is that you REALLY need to zone in on what you're doing, otherwise you won't get to the next level. I can reach level 18, but the ultimate goal is to get to level 20. If you do, you're an ASYNC champion
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronotriggers View Post
Sorry, no Lite version. The actual story is that the entire ASYNC Corp. team was laid off an hour after we submitted the game to Apple. Which was a bit risky, as we would have had no one to fix it if the game bounced the submission process! There were a million things we wanted to do with ASYNC (Game Center, updates, etc), but that sort of died out, along with my job
That doesn't sound very nice
Old 06-28-2011, 07:39 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by toythatkills View Post
That doesn't sound very nice
Haha, no, it definitely ain't nice Ah well. All I can hope is that you enjoy ASYNC Corp. If that happens, then all is fine with the world
Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

really cute game luv the animations to bad the team was laid off this game would be great with some minor improvements