Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprunner View Post

I get a lot more RQ when I pummel them in 2 rounds. If you take them to 3, RQs happen less for me.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I really miss the first version of the game (with no penalties when you dropped the match). I feel that in proportion there was less RQ. Maybe I'm wrong and RQs like me and that's why I feel this.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Here's to SF IV Volt, the only game more than a few hours old to continuously top the list of new posts at TA on a wednesday night

Now for something (slightly) more constructive: I'm considering getting into online play in SFIV for iOS in a big way. So I'm curious: has the online community settled into some general or near-ubiquitous skill level? Is there an analogy that could be made (i.e., do I need to be able to defeat Akuma on hard to even have fun online most of the time, etc)?

In the few matches I've run online, I've mostly been badly outmatched (though internally, I'm trying to blame having Yun as a favourite character rather than my skill level ), and I am unsure if going online is actually the best way to improve enough to start having fun in multiplayer, given the lag, the vast skill divides, etc.
In my opinion online matches are too different than CPU matches. I already know good online players who can't defeat Grueling Akuma.

On the other hand it is good to play both CPU and online. With the CPU you can emulate some situations, like a training. And with online matches you will improve your skills.

It's all about practice, I think.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM
iPhone 4

Beating the grueling CPU mostly comes down to whether or not it decides to punish your 3 frame normal with ultra.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaMario View Post
Did you ever get your issue with the Battle Network updating your TPs worked out? I cleared out cookies, uninstalled/reinstalled SF4V but it's still not updated. Do I need to leave the team for it to take effect?
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner Docta. I never got it straightened out. I've deleted and re-installed about 3-4, doing it differently each time to see if something works. I haven't yet tried leaving the team though. I almost did a few days ago but after giving it some thought, I didn't see how that would make a difference. At this point, I'm just hoping that it fixes itself like it eventually did for Ken Ken (although I don't think he ever deleted the game) or wait for Capcom to fix the problem (wishful thinking). Or maybe someone in this thread finally figures it out.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprunner View Post

I get a lot more RQ when I pummel them in 2 rounds. If you take them to 3, RQs happen less for me.
I've found the same thing and it's unfortunately affected me negatively. I find that after winning round 1, I often fool around a bit more than I should in round 2 and lose more than I should. And as everyone knows, anything can happen in a round 3. The lesson I need to learn is never let up, even if it leads to a few more rage quits.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Here's to SF IV Volt, the only game more than a few hours old to continuously top the list of new posts at TA on a wednesday night

Now for something (slightly) more constructive: I'm considering getting into online play in SFIV for iOS in a big way. So I'm curious: has the online community settled into some general or near-ubiquitous skill level? Is there an analogy that could be made (i.e., do I need to be able to defeat Akuma on hard to even have fun online most of the time, etc)?

In the few matches I've run online, I've mostly been badly outmatched (though internally, I'm trying to blame having Yun as a favourite character rather than my skill level ), and I am unsure if going online is actually the best way to improve enough to start having fun in multiplayer, given the lag, the vast skill divides, etc.
I don't feel that there's any particular skill level necessary to enjoy online play, but obviously the lower the skill level, the more you will lose and some people can not have fun if losing. Players have gotten pretty good online overall and it definitely takes a willingness to continue changing and improving your game in order to win over the long haul.

As far as how to improve, I don't think that arcade mode helps. In fact, in some ways it is detrimental since arcade mode plays in a manner that humans can't and/or don't, particularly on the harder levels. You will never see reaction times in humans like you do from grueling mode.

So basically, I think the only way to improve at online play is to play online. Friendlies are the best way to start but in the end, I think the better competition is in ranked matches, even if people take themselves too seriously there.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM

I just finished a bunch of games. It was pretty fun, despite the huge lose of useless BPs. It's the first time in a while that I really enjoy the game in ranked matches

I hope there will be more series like I played today. It was a good day to play.

Last edited by slrc_91; 01-25-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:

If you get a chance, you should try and watch 0-Felix-0"s Yun replays. There should be a bunch.
As others have said, playing vs CPU and playing vs humans can be vastly different. The one useful element of playing vs CPU is practicing to punish missed moves (like a shoryuken that doesn't hit your Yun) with a good damaging combo. You'll find that the CPU doesn't always punish your own missed moves, but human players usually will, in a big way.
You'll find that different players will have very different styles, even with the same characters -- highly defensive ryus vs highly offensive ryus.

I'm sure lots of the folks here would be willing to get in some friendlies with you and show you the ropes. Just don't get frustrated! We've all had to climb that online hill .. heck i'm still at the bottom!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Default new Neo Geo Handheld

Since we were chatting about Neo Geo a few pages back ..

http://kotaku.com/5879082/the-return...+geo/gallery/1

"The handheld sports a 4.3 inch LCD screen, 2GB of onboard memory, and an SD card slot. There are twenty pre-loaded games, all of them old Neo-Geo classics."
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooken View Post
If you get a chance, you should try and watch 0-Felix-0"s Yun replays. There should be a bunch.
As others have said, playing vs CPU and playing vs humans can be vastly different. The one useful element of playing vs CPU is practicing to punish missed moves (like a shoryuken that doesn't hit your Yun) with a good damaging combo. You'll find that the CPU doesn't always punish your own missed moves, but human players usually will, in a big way.
You'll find that different players will have very different styles, even with the same characters -- highly defensive ryus vs highly offensive ryus.

I'm sure lots of the folks here would be willing to get in some friendlies with you and show you the ropes. Just don't get frustrated! We've all had to climb that online hill .. heck i'm still at the bottom!
You're definitely not on the bottom. You are mid like me