★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Offering a gamer prize. Advice please

06-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Offering a gamer prize. Advice please

Hi there
I have just put the finishing touches to my latest game, BlibBlob
One aspect of the game it to try to find a certain number of hidden hearts. There are achievements and score bonuses for collecting them all in each level.
I was thinking of offering a prize of $100 to the first person to collect all hearts in the game. There is a specific achievement for this.
Social gaming is done with openfeint.

Anyway, here are my questions. Is it a good idea? Has anyone here done something similar to this? Did it work out as planned? Is there a robust way for me to know who was first to get the achievement? Are there any downsides? How about writing the rules? Any legal aspects I need to be aware of. And since I am based in Japan, any tax/currency conversion problems I might run into? Stuff like that.

I appreciate any feedback

Game source code for PC, Mac, Linux and iOS here.
06-29-2011, 06:57 AM
"Is it a good idea?"
no, keep your money!If people like your game , they will play it/buy it!100 bucks is not large enough to attract that many people!

My Twitter:@Tudor
06-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
"Is it a good idea?"
no, keep your money!If people like your game , they will play it/buy it!100 bucks is not large enough to attract that many people!
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the reply
Is that just an opinion, or do you have experience of this kind of thing?
To be honest, I didn't see it as an incentive to buy, rather an incentive to keep playing. The more people play, the more buzz there is. That was my thinking anyway.
Does anyone else concur with MrLeQuack? If it really isn't a good idea, I will just scrap it.

Game source code for PC, Mac, Linux and iOS here.
06-29-2011, 08:27 AM
yeah, I've mentioned this all over the forum as it's come up quite a bit recently (see here)