Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emos View Post
Yeah multitasking has never been implemented in Ascension, it can be a bit annoying. That said it loads up really quick so I've gotten used to it. Perhaps the next update will incorporate it (chat function is still the most requested feature).

I haven't ever had issues with it crashing, and I play with the sound off most of the time so I can't help with those...
I see. Thankses :-)

I must say that while the game plays really well as a realtime online game (other players can see every move I make, etc, and some side-by-side comparisons with a friend of mine has shown us that moves propagate *extremely* quickly), playing it in a normal asynchronous fashion is VERY clunky and inconvenient, since EVERY move includes starting up the game again, loggin in to the online servers, and selecting the active game.

Playdeck, will Ascension eventually support multiplayer, and (more importantly) bring us directly into a match from the associated push notification?

This is a standard for the VAST majority of asynchronous games, for very good reasons, and I am surprised to see one of the most popular async hardcore titles for iOS does not supprt this.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Send a message via AIM to onewithchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesquad View Post
My luck. I buy this game just two days ago and it goes from $5 to 99 cents. Sigh. I could have put that $4 towards Nightfall. Not anymore. Last time I ever buy a game that isn't on sale.

I do like the game, but I had thought it probably wasn't worth the $5 I spent. Now I know it wasn't
I have to strongly disagree on this. I've played this game for a good while and it's certainly worth more than the $5 spent. heck, the physical copy is about 30 I believe and if I could play people in person I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I bought the game at $5, I bought if for a friend last week for $5 and don't regret it one bit. the only thing this sale did was that I'm able to gift it to more people now. I have nightfall and while I haven't fully gotten into the game, this game is worth way more than the really low price of $5. with the .99 cent sale, it's just a no-brainer

and to the person asking about multitasking, I felt the same, but as it has even said, the game loads so fast, it really becomes a nonissue. even games that support multitasking take a lil while to load the move and I feel this game loads up incredibly fast so it almost matches other games in that sense.

so to anyone picking up this game, congrats and know there's a good online community for this. I've found that TA regulars are the best to play, but I've certainly found some good opponents using random matchups as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

They implemented multitasking in their game Nightfall, so I imagine they'll update Ascension for it as well, but it doesn't help with online play as much as you might think. You switch back to the game quickly, but it still takes you back to the title screen and then you have to wait for Gamecenter to connect. I think it saves a little time, but not as much as you'd think it would. It does work great for offline play, though.

If you are playing a single online game it can be a bit cumbersome, but if you have multiple games going at once, it doesn't seem so bad because you launch the game and then have turns in many games to play.

Also this game has been worth *way* more than $5 to me. It's my second most played game (first most played is Disc Drivin'). You will get your money's worth. I wouldn't worry about it. I ended up buying the real version as well, then Return of the Fallen and I just got Storm of Souls. I love this game.

Last edited by crunc; 04-27-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernimator View Post
Just to let everyone know, Storm of Souls in May!!!

BBG Post
Awesome!!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM

I'll get this tonight. Sometimes I have a problem with getting sufficiently into a game like this because of the learning curve. What is the best way to learn?

I know that with Hero Academy, an asynch game which I'm huge into, the learning curve is now pretty steep and it can really help to have someone explain boneheaded mistakes by chat as you play. Does this game allow for chatting with submitted turns?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
I'll get this tonight. Sometimes I have a problem with getting sufficiently into a game like this because of the learning curve. What is the best way to learn?

I know that with Hero Academy, an asynch game which I'm huge into, the learning curve is now pretty steep and it can really help to have someone explain boneheaded mistakes by chat as you play. Does this game allow for chatting with submitted turns?
there's no chat but it's probably easier to understand than something like, say, UNO ... that is to say, the learning curve is pretty flat.

just play the tutorial and some matches vs AI.
the actual mechanics are not at all difficult to understand or figure out.
because it has it's own terminology describing card types and point values, you have to learn those ... but all in all this is about as simple as you get for these types of card games.

you'll, of course, take longer to perfect your own strategy ... but learning how to play is pretty effortless.

here are the physical rules:
http://www.ascensiongame.com/howtoplay/item/how-to-play
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Unfortunately they do not have chat in their games, at least not yet. However as far as deck building games go, this is one of the easier ones to learn.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post

I would say the learning curve is rather easy when compared with the other iOS card games out there (Nightfall being on the opposite spectrum IMO). The tutorial is top notch and gives a good walk through of the basic commands and functions. There are two levels of AI, a beginner can beat the first level, once you can beat the higher level AI regularly you'll be ready for multiplayer
Unfortunately there is no chat function at this time (the one glaring omission in an otherwise extremely polished game) but I hope it'll be implemented soon. This is most played asynchronous game to date, and perhaps most played ios game of all time...it's that good!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Good news! I wish there were the promo cards.
From Gary Weis on the BGG iOS blog comments,

Quote:
The Storm of Souls update will include the first cycle of promos: Vedah, Pathwarden, Deep Drone, Void Mesmer, Kythis, and the Rat King.
Rat King!!!!

Last edited by Vernimator; 04-27-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Heh, Camzy, that was a bold move trying to get a 4 player 30 min. game going. I'd be into trying again, but night time (9pm-12am pacific time) is much better for me for playing "synchronous" style games.