★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

New Crowdfunding Platform "Games Plant"

07-01-2011, 03:11 AM
New Crowdfunding Platform "Games Plant"

Stumbled over this on the net

- its only games related (all platforms)
- it has a minimum project size of 3k
- its an all or nothing concept (like Kickstarters)
- it allows for revenue share on the finished projects income!

especially the last point is very interesting imho, because you can get something back (not a swag) for your money funding a project..
so you rather invest into projects (if they offer revenue share which is optional)
than just handing out your money..

this is a interesting twist and something i found lacking in all the other platforms.. you just gave money away without any possible benefit (except of silly swags of course)

very interesting to see how the platform evolves and what kind of projects we will see on there.. and if any will get completely funded..
07-01-2011, 03:19 AM
I've been searching for something like this!Thanks a lot!

My Twitter:@Tudor

07-01-2011, 04:54 AM
interesting idea~good news to the developers~!
07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
looks good indeed. I'll keep my eye on this one, too.

thanks for sharing!
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
well would ya look at that...
07-01-2011, 09:33 AM
It looks promising if big spenders get in there. What is bad though is the 15% they get from the total budget. I mean a good game probably can cost around 100.000, giving 15% is quite large!

Game Designer for life
07-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Ah, the revenue sharing is a pretty good idea. Coming up with ideas for rewards (and the cost of such things) can kill a project. I like this one, I'll keep an eye on it too.
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Here's my one gripe with revenue sharing on a crowd funding platform. This is after giving the idea much thought: the only reason I'd ever want to share revenue is if the people I'm sharing it with provided more than just cash.

To succeed in this business it requires more than just money. When getting funding from an Angel investor, you want more than their $$$ you want their help, experience, and access to their network to advertise and market your game. Money will only get you so far, you also need other tools to succeed. Since they have a vested interest in your success, they will do all they can to help you and put all the necessary tools at your disposal.

That's why I see a definite benefit in going with an experienced publisher who is willing to not only invest in your project, but work with you and help promote you. However, as many experiences have made clear, finding such a publisher can be a tricky process...
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Well there are alot of team out there who don't want to work under a publisher.. their creative freedom is more worth to them that "wannabe" interested publisher with their own odd ideas on how to improve a product..

i have yet to work with a decent publisher who does care equaly about the products quality and the products win margin.. i worked with 8 different publishers and there is not much good to say about any of them.. big or small..
none of the "big ones" really care about the soul of your product like for example small indie pubs like crescent moon..

as for revenue share.. well.. kickstarters is gifting money away.. which in my book is as good as throwing it away.. if there is revenue share its investing of your money with the (odd) possibility to get some money back..

and why do they need to provide you more than cash? cash is the most flexible commodity you can get.. you can hire an pro consultant with the money or do whatever you need to get your project running.. i mean hey they are giving you money.. and all the other platforms offer you some silly gimicks in return.. not my cup of tea.. i don't need to buy an t-shirt from developer x for a huge premium..

of course revenue share is something you need to consider wisely since it will involve some managing and in the current case management for 3 years.