★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

People with FAAD experience

07-01-2011, 09:12 AM
People with FAAD experience

Hello all,

In the upcoming month to our first game coming out, I have started creating a contingency plan in case direct sales does not prove to be as fruitful as I would hope. In the event that we gain 0 market exposure and limited sales, I would be hoping to go down the free app route and monetize through in app purchases.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone had any experience with free app a day and:

What download increase did you experience?
Did you monetize with adverts or in app purchases
What click through rate did you experience?

Basically is it worth it

Thank-you very much in advance

Screen Invaders is out now! screeninvaders.com/app

Tweet us
07-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Hello, I'm glad you asked this. I'm very interested to find this out as well. So far everyone I ask either doesn't know or just will not answer. Thanks again.

07-02-2011, 12:21 PM
We tried this a few times.

If your app is any good and you make your app free for a few days, it will probably skyrocket in downloads. You don't need any 3rd party site like FAAD for this.

If you change it back to paid and you get the same downloads, like before, then you know, which way to go.

Our one game is selling maybe 10-20 times a day. When I changed it to free, we had 150.000 downloads within 24 hours. Then I changed it back and after 2 days it went back to 10-20 downloads a day.

We will change that game to free with AD and inapp upgrade.

So if your game doesn't sell well, just go with free-AD. If it sells good, never ever think to make it free.
07-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealtrebitsch View Post
We tried this a few times.

If your app is any good and you make your app free for a few days, it will probably skyrocket in downloads. You don't need any 3rd party site like FAAD for this.

If you change it back to paid and you get the same downloads, like before, then you know, which way to go.

Our one game is selling maybe 10-20 times a day. When I changed it to free, we had 150.000 downloads within 24 hours. Then I changed it back and after 2 days it went back to 10-20 downloads a day.

We will change that game to free with AD and inapp upgrade.

So if your game doesn't sell well, just go with free-AD. If it sells good, never ever think to make it free.
Many thanks for the reply, that's interesting... 150,000 within 24 hours I think we will have a go at trying to make it paid, but personally i'm more keen to just get the brand name out there rather than trying to make capital straight away. Good to see there are other options rather than FAAD. I've heard people have been quoted $10,000 which is crazy money..

Tweet us
07-04-2011, 05:25 PM
you can also just try putting your game to free for a few days without paying anyone anything.

There are plenty of places that will report on all games that drop to free automatically, and you might end up getting some 10,000's of downloads anyway.
07-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I know one game got 100,000 downloads in 24hours with freeappaday. And then another got 33,000.

Also heard good things about freeapphero.

Play Yam Yam!
Download some great music for your game projects.
Official Site | Facebook | Twitter
07-05-2011, 01:47 AM
I‘ve emailed FAAD twice(once per day), and no response. Is there any problem with the way I said or just got a wrong email adress?
07-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
I know one game got 100,000 downloads in 24hours with freeappaday. And then another got 33,000.

Also heard good things about freeapphero.
Can you change the app i.e. put in iaps or adverts before you use faad or do you have to use the current version? if you know

Tweet us
07-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow. Awesome trailer. It got my attention.
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyweird Zombies View Post
Wow. Awesome trailer. It got my attention.