★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

GameCenter High Scores hacked

07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
GameCenter High Scores hacked

My game's high score list just got hacked.
One player has 1 billion points on my leaderboard.

It is possible as the video shows.
This retard says not to releae it, but somebody already did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBvfa4JX3Tw

Anybody had the same problem? What can I do? Whom do I contact by Apple to ban those hackers and reset my leaderboard?
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Apple came up with a way for you to set a range for your leaderboards. You can specify and minimum and maximum value, and any submissions that fall outside of that range become null and won't be displayed.

From what I remember reading, it's specified through iTC.

Indie iPhone game developer

Follow me on Twitter!
@JFPro_Games

07-01-2011, 09:06 PM
07-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Yes I remember that happened to doodlejump. People on top had scores of 5 million and up. It happens alot , so dont think your the only one.
07-02-2011, 02:46 AM
game center leaderboard hacks are as common as drinking water..

apple should get their act together and allow the developer to delete specific entries on a leaderboard.. other social platforms alow for this and so you can at least clean up the boards once in a while..

its kinda annoying that pretty much any highscore hunting game is broken that way if it uses the all might ed up GC..

the range doesn't help either.. especially not if you are an open ended score game where you could reach millions of points..

what would be worse than a valid player make the best game of his life breaking the ultimate score and then only to be punched in the face because there is a score limit enabled..

well.. in this case the "ball" is with apple.. and they should do something about it..

if they don't want devs to get direct access to single entries then let them at least report those entries.. so apple can check the apple id behind it and if it has also wonky scores in other games so they can just delete the hole apple id and show the cheater the middle finger..
07-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
game center leaderboard hacks are as common as drinking water..

apple should get their act together and allow the developer to delete specific entries on a leaderboard.. other social platforms alow for this and so you can at least clean up the boards once in a while..

its kinda annoying that pretty much any highscore hunting game is broken that way if it uses the all might ed up GC..

the range doesn't help either.. especially not if you are an open ended score game where you could reach millions of points..

what would be worse than a valid player make the best game of his life breaking the ultimate score and then only to be punched in the face because there is a score limit enabled..

well.. in this case the "ball" is with apple.. and they should do something about it..

if they don't want devs to get direct access to single entries then let them at least report those entries.. so apple can check the apple id behind it and if it has also wonky scores in other games so they can just delete the hole apple id and show the cheater the middle finger..
I totally, 100% agree. They really need to get their act together and give the developer control over their own games.

I say we march down to Cupertino and give 'em a piece of our mind

Indie iPhone game developer

Follow me on Twitter!
@JFPro_Games
07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
How are cheaters submitting fake scores?

Are they sending URLs (or whatever) straight to the Game Center servers or are they hacking offline scores that have been saved to the iPhone for later submitting?

It should be easy to stop the second option by encrypting how offline scores are stored. If they are doing the first option then I don't know.
07-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter303 View Post
How are cheaters submitting fake scores?

Are they sending URLs (or whatever) straight to the Game Center servers or are they hacking offline scores that have been saved to the iPhone for later submitting?

It should be easy to stop the second option by encrypting how offline scores are stored. If they are doing the first option then I don't know.
Some games save scores in the form of data files in the iPhone's document directories. It isn't that hard to navigate there on a jailbroken phone and edit it. That's what I think anyway.
07-02-2011, 11:45 PM
You guys are all lucky that HackCenter wasn't released...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
If you check this guy's post records you see:
1. Has interests in RPG games in general and: 2. Trolls iPads & PSP 3. Abusive use of the word 'dumb' and its variants
07-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Racing Fan View Post
You guys are all lucky that HackCenter wasn't released...
Elaborate please!