★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Solar System has become a battleground.
Multinational Corporations are going to start a war with Earth's Governments over space resources and for independence.
Which side will you choose?

DESCRIPTION AND GAMEPLAY

Project MOS is a multiplayer space combat simulation game and tactical shooter.
Battle with hundreds of players in the same scenario, divided into two factions.
The goal is to destroy the enemy Carriers while defending yours.
Lock the enemy targets. Avoid enemy locks.
Earn points to unlock more spaceships.
Support friendly ships with supportship.

FEATURES

Free to play.

Real time multiplayer with cooperative gameplay.

Epic battles with hundreds of players.

3D graphics with realistic physics.

Five unique spaceships to choose from.

Long range combat system.

Internet connection required.

TIPS:
- You can change the direction by double tapping the screen.
- Beware of enemies Hidden Drones
The closer you get to their base and more dangerous they are.
- Your ship starts directed to enemy carriers
- Supportship remove enemy locks to allies
- Ships alignment and speed influence target missing

RESOURCES
Official website and forums
-- http://projectmos.com
Facebook
-- http://www.facebook.com/projectmos
Follow us on Twitter
-- http://www.twitter.com/projectmos

Video Tutorial: http://bit.ly/MOStutorial

Got questions? Found bugs? Give us a shout on Get Satisfaction:
-- http://getsatisfaction.com/torbakgames/products/projectmos_project_mos

Torbak Games's comments:

Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

Gameplay video

Youtube link | Pop Up
07-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Space multiplayer? and free?
finally a NEW thing on the app store!

Got it!!!

07-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Full version is $3 - you can remove the ads in the main menu... the graphics are nice, but ATM, I can only see my ship in the game... =o/

Hopefully more people will check this one out and it really can have hundreds of people playing... =oD
07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Wow it's finally released
Music and sounds create atmosphere=)
07-02-2011, 04:46 PM
This game has the potential to be a lot of fun, but it lacks a lot to do, and the amount of players to make it fun. Not only that, it also lacks enough instructions to completely tell how to maneuver your ship, as well as knowing which ship is what. So I'll first detail the game information and then express what I think about it for each of the details.

This will be a long post by the way.. skip to the impressions if you already know how it's played.

Game Information:

When you start out, you can choose only one ship to begin with (which turns out to be the fastest ship, the Corvette). You can unlock and keep other ships via points that can be obtained from destroying any enemy ship, without spending them (Meaning you just automatically unlock the ships when you meet the requirement, while still keeping your points). As the list progresses to the right, you are looking at slower ships with more missiles to use at a time, despite the special "Supportship" you can buy and keep for $3 along with disabling the advertisements. They clean friendly allies instead, but also shoot 1 missile. They don't require points to unlock after purchasing them.

You then spawn in either a new game or a current game automatically after choosing the ship. You may first realize shapes around you. Green shapes are your allies, while red are enemies. The circles indicate it is a courier. Other shapes like an upside down triangle and diamonds indicate other real player's ships, i.e. Corvette and Carrier (respectively). You don't actually see other people's ship model I don't think. Just shapes.

Your ship, when spawned, will already be aiming towards where the enemy courier is, but it is quite far away to shoot at, let alone see it. In fact, it can take awhile getting there as the space arena looks quite big. You maneuver by double tapping in the direction you want your ship to go, while periodically boosting your speed with the arrow button at the bottom when it's available. You want to not change the direction of your ship, while just pressing the speed boost button when it's available if you want to reach the enemy zone and actually get into combat.

Couriers are basically the main ships each team must protect as said in the description. When destroyed, the other team wins and ends the game. They can get destroyed in one hit, but they are quite far away. And when you get close to see them, they fire a lot of missles at you, but only once they do that.

You dodge missles by tapping on the icons that appear in the top-left corner of the screen. They turn red as they get close. One touches you, you're dead. Real enemy players can attack if they see you by tapping on you once. Only ONE missle can be sent to ONE player at a time from EACH enemy. This makes it to where multiple enemies can send one missle each player to provide a bigger challenge to dodge. Realize this is information as far as I know. The game did not detail any instructions on how to deploy more than 1 missile at a time to just 1 enemy.

To detail missile information (once again, as far as I know), if you have a Corvette, you can only fire one missile at a time. If you have a Cruiser, you can fire three. List goes on. Just know that with the three missile capacity, you have to choose 3 different enemies to utilize it. You can't choose the same enemy to shoot at 3 times. They can only spread.

My Impressions:

First of all, the music and sounds. The music is quite soothing (although a bit unfitting, but it doesn't bother me), and the sounds are OK. Wouldn't care if they added on this or not.

Gameplay-wise.. oh boy.

The first two ships that you get will be the most useful unfortunately (excluding talking about the support ship, I have yet to test how it's like. I'm also lacking detail here about the use of missiles). The lack of many players kind of negate the missile capacity of the bigger ships, making them more useless. Yes, they have more of a range. Doesn't mean the missiles are better. EVERY SHIP in this game can be destroyed from one missile. Just realize that as the missile capacity grows, the speed of the ship sinks. You might as well rush in with Corvettes. Couriers are not too slow though, and they actually can be protected from the lag glitch, where you are stuck being locked on to one person, preventing any more launching of missiles. This makes Corvettes become useless, but Couriers able to keep on firing somewhere else. SO, in conclusion, the bigger ships will be more useful if there was more players to shoot at.

To negate the lack of players (excluding the option of advertising), a lobby would be nice so players can join games together without having to make a new game not on their will. It would also be nice that after a game, they can still switch their ships while still sticking together.

I don't mind the shapes interaction too much. I find it a bit humorous actually, and quite lag-free. However, I'd like a legend that'll indicate what each shape is so new players don't have to wonder, as well as myself.

Actually trying to maneuver your ship is terrible if you don't always go straight. There's no brakes, meaning you have to turn around as you're still moving in the same direction, which takes awhile, then press the speed boost button a couple of times. Good thing you don't really have to deal with this as you are already facing where you need to face. That makes the game a bit dull though, and more of a race to destroy the courier, which brings me to another paragraph.

Couriers get destroyed in one hit. It can't be protected directly. And it can't dodge, meaning it's all over for a team if ONE enemy even sees that courier. You have to kill enemy ships ahead of time to protect your courier, meaning you have to race to THEIR side and destroy them to make sure they don't see it. This turns into a lame exchange of easy missile dodging if there isn't enough players. You kind of just have to hope lag surprises them, or that they don't know how to dodge the missile. I'd like it if couriers could take more hits.

Dodging missiles is incredibly easy if there isn't too much. I like the concept, don't get me wrong, but the game REALLY needs more players to make missile dodging more fun. I'd like it even more if the bigger ships could fire at the same enemy multiple times, or instructions on how to if that's already implemented.

There's a terrible bug however. This bug makes it to where your points accumulated from previous battles count AGAIN to your total points. You could even leave the game and the points would count once again to your total. That makes it quite easy to get the last ship after playing a couple of matches. The points carried over from previous battles will stop when you exit the app, but it will happen again.

Verdict, AKA tl:dr

Obviously it needs work. But it's free, a very neat concept, and quite stable even on my 2g iTouch. Never crashed once. Playing with many players at a time would be a lot of fun. It just needs more content, features and some balancing. This will assure this will be a great app. So far, it's fine. I give it a 3/5 for now.

Game Center Username: Xelorx
Notify me that you're from TA if you add me on Game Center.

Last edited by zxelman; 07-02-2011 at 05:23 PM.
07-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxelman View Post
This game has the potential to be a lot of fun, but it lacks a lot to do, and the amount of players to make it fun.
Thanks for the excellent review and suggestions ^_^.
Continue to send us feedback,
Our aim is to implement features and then adapt them to user feedbacks.
07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Full version is $3 - you can remove the ads in the main menu... the graphics are nice, but ATM, I can only see my ship in the game... =o/
We plan to make other player ships visible.
07-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torbak Games View Post
Thanks for the excellent review and suggestions ^_^.
Continue to send us feedback,
Our aim is to implement features and then adapt them to user feedbacks.
Thanks for reading through that long post though. Most of all, thanks for posting back as well.

Here's some feedback. Can we maybe perhaps see the names of other players over their heads in some fashion? Such as, have it to where if you tap and hold on over a ship, it will display their name, or something similar. Along with that, maybe put an option during gameplay to see the player list.

Also, a few questions. For one thing, what does the "supportship" actually do when they clean allies? Does it enhance some sort of stat temporarily?

And lastly, is it now possible to launch more than 1 missile towards just 1 player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torbak Games View Post
We plan to make other player ships visible.
That sounds great. Although this would be a nice visual enhancement, just PLEASE make sure it's still compatible AND stable on all the current devices it is now. (As of this moment, I played a 15 player match before surprisingly, and still didn't lag on my 2g iTouch which is VERY neat). So I beg you to clean up the code as needed when necessary.

Perhaps make it an option where you can switch between just shapes for other ships or seeing the actual ship. You could even have a mixture of both where if you reach a certain distance to a player, the ship model will display instead of the shape. This way, everyone can be happy.

Game Center Username: Xelorx
Notify me that you're from TA if you add me on Game Center.
07-05-2011, 09:30 AM
There's the possibility to go on the planets? Or there are only the "external functions"?
07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
There's the possibility to go on the planets? Or there are only the "external functions"?
No, at the moment we do not plan to interact with planets, but conflict could spread to other planets