★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App store policies regarding limited territories

07-02-2011, 06:28 PM
App store policies regarding limited territories

Howdy ya'll.

I've just submitted my long in development game BabyBubblez! to the app store for approval. I'm thinking of trying the trick of a limited release to Canada to garner as much feedback as possible before a worldwide release but I have a couple of questions/concerns regarding promo codes and the "new release" list.

--I need to coordinate as much media/buzz as possible while released in Canada as I want to release to the world by the end of July. I'll get 50 promo codes but I worry that they will only work in Canada. Is this the case?

--Regarding the app store "new release" list. Do games show up in the "new release" list upon becoming available to a new region or is that date entirely set by Apple approval? And if that's the case will releasing an update pop my game back up on the list.

Thanks for the help. I've been making games now for 18 years but this is my first indy project and my first on the Iphone.

--Goody!
07-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
I don't know if they changed it, but I think promo codes only work for the US. (Clarification would be nice )

Yes, new release works for different countries. An update will put it back on the list.

Hope that helps - good luck!
07-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Promo codes have been working worldwide for a while now.
07-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody! View Post
Howdy ya'll.

I've just submitted my long in development game BabyBubblez! to the app store for approval. I'm thinking of trying the trick of a limited release to Canada to garner as much feedback as possible before a worldwide release but I have a couple of questions/concerns regarding promo codes and the "new release" list.

--I need to coordinate as much media/buzz as possible while released in Canada as I want to release to the world by the end of July. I'll get 50 promo codes but I worry that they will only work in Canada. Is this the case?

--Regarding the app store "new release" list. Do games show up in the "new release" list upon becoming available to a new region or is that date entirely set by Apple approval? And if that's the case will releasing an update pop my game back up on the list.

Thanks for the help. I've been making games now for 18 years but this is my first indy project and my first on the Iphone.

--Goody!

they don't release game in canada to get feedback but to test usualy heavily online dependant games from a technical point of view.. how are the servers working, is everything playing out right.. etc.

since canadian customers have a similar taste as us customers but the market is alot smaller its the "perfect" testing ground for tech related stuff before going online worldwide..

if you have not such an game there is not much of a point going canada only..
07-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I've been thinking about it and I'm going to try to see if I can get enough testers from here to get meaningful feedback. If so I don't need to worry about Canada only. I don't need to worry about servers or the like. Check the upcoming games board today for my call for testers and general announcement.

This below is a test btw, I need to learn how to embed video.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FSz_a_yx9hA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hmm, that didn't work.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Ahhh. There we go!

Last edited by Goody!; 07-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.