★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Cope-Com
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 18.6 MB
  • Version: 2.0
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: In 1989 it received an amazing 109% rating... in 2012 it is the world's first 2-player split-screen shooter on iPad..

... Battle Squadron ONE, the Amiga legend, has finally arrived on iPhone/iPod/iPad !!

GAME VIDEO: http://youtu.be/v22jB0l1osY

4.5/5 @ TouchArcade.com
5/5 @ iPhoneFreak.com
"Top App" @ bild.de
"App der Woche" @ GamersGlobal.de
5/5 @ iphonegameruk.co.uk
3/4 @ slide to Play
4/5 @ maclife.de
"Bronze award" @ Pocket Gamer
9/10 @ PushStart

After just a few weeks on the App Store an amazing 92% of 50+ players rated Battle Squadron ONE with 5 stars!! See www.cope-com.com for player comments.

The iOS version:
"A fantastic shooter which beats the vast majority of its modern day equivalents hands down!", www.iphonefreak.com
"Battle Squadron ONE is excellent gaming, folks. Do not miss it", www.toucharcade.com
"I had a smile on my face a mile wide while I played the game", www.iphonefreak.com
"The split screen adaptation of this game is a fabulous addition", AppAdvice.com
"Those that love retro shooters will also enjoy this game incredibly", iphonegameruk.co.uk
"Can honestly say that Battle Squadron is probably my favorite 2D shooter of them all", www.toucharcade.com

The original:
109% - "Now Battle Squadron is the best", Amiga Computing (2:10)
90% - "It's expert execution and addictive playability", Info (31)
87% - "It's rapid-fire animation, coupled with effective sound and a long running music track", The Games Machine (25)
90% - "Battle Squadron is so addictive that you just can't stop playing", The One Amiga (56)

Your mission: Earth has been long at war with the evil alien Barrax empire, with extensive losses on both sides. Your two fellow commanders, Mayers and Bergin, have been taken hostage by a Barrax Nova Cruiser and are held hostage on the alien Barrax home world, Planet Terrainia. You must destroy the Barrax home world to rescue your fellow commanders !!

- (World Premiere) 2-player split-screen on iPad: play with, or against your friends
- Game Center Achievements: 36 in total to earn
- Leaderboard updates with player comments (through Internet link)
- Numerous control options, including new 2x direct touch
- 4 fantastically detailed levels to fight your way through
- Scores of different enemies... watch out for the predator-like ones...
- 4 highly diverse "bosses" to defeat
- 24 different weapons (4 types of 6 grades each)
- Nova Missile for when you "get caught in a tight spot"
- 4 different difficulties ("Squadron Leader" is exactly like on Amiga)
- New ber-difficulty mode: "Air Commodore" with surprise ending
- Plays on all iOS 4.0 and up, including iPhone 3G and iPod 2nd generation
- And loads more...

So engage and destroy... "Welcome to Battle Squadron !!"

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

TA Previews...

07-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I was one of the beta testers for this, really loved it. Pretty difficult game but its just like the original, practically a clone.

Loved this back in the 90's on my Amiga so very happy to get this version. Just bought this retro classic. Surprised they released it now and not close of play Weds like most other games though

07-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I have nothing to complain about in regards to the port, controls, etc...but why in the world is such a classic like this given such poor treatment aesthetically? Oh, and the apps name is officially BattleSquadr1? What's up with that? How the heck are people supposed to search for their beloved game on the appstore?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Yes, finally! Been waiting for another classic shmup ported to my small screen. The preview videos indicate a pretty solid port.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Joy! Looks pretty great.
07-05-2011, 12:48 PM
These are just my quick impressions, but so far I'd say the port really is just flawless. Although the game's original aspect ratio doesn't fit my iPod Touch's screen, you can play it easily in landscape or portrait with great controls. I had no idea it could be put into portrait mode...such a simple thing but it makes a huge difference in how well you can hold your device and play with one hand.

They also included different difficulty levels so you can play somewhat casually, or with a very steep difficulty. And Game Center leaderboards were included right off the bat, which surprisingly happens somewhat less often than it should. Kudos to Cope-Com for getting it very much right from the launch!

Gameplay is what you'd expect--classic Amiga era shmup action. You can't switch your shot in the sense of being able to use different shots with the press of a button as with a CAVE game or something but rather you have a system something like Raiden where there are a few different primary weapons you can collect and use at one time and power up. You also have a powerful "kill everything close to you" bomb attack. Graphics look retro-tastic. Obviously it's a little low-res compared to something built from the ground up for your iPhone, but being a port of a 20-something year-old game you'd expect this, and even enjoy it. If you've enjoyed Tyrian, you'll enjoy this. Excellent game; highly recommended for all shoot'em up fans.

Edit: Actually, even on the easiest difficulty level it's still not really close to casual--it's still pretty darn tough!

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

Last edited by medianotzu; 07-05-2011 at 01:23 PM.
07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Game Impressions

Great game!
I never owned an amiga, but played tons of games just like this in the arcades when I was a kid, and later on my pc.

I've been having a blast playing shumps on my iPhone and iPad, but though there's been a lot of shumps, most have been Bullet-Hell, which I'm not a big fan of. I've bought most of them anyway, and tried to get to like them, but my favourites on iOS in this genre are still games like Tyrian, Raptor, Warblade, AirAttack HD, iStriker and now Battle Squadron!

It's crazy hard, even on the easiest setting, but the great responsiveness of the controls makes up for that.

The graphics is great, don't expect miracles though, this is not built from the ground up for iOS, it's a port of an old game, but the explosions, artwork and effects are good iCandy (see what I did there?).. :-)

A special kudos for the sound effects in this game, they're very, very good.

Haven't made it far yet, it's very important to upgrade your weapons on the surface world before entering the underworlds, I've died in 2 min. top every time I've done it. Maybe my reflexes are dulled somewhat, I'm not 16 anymore, he'll, I'm not even in my thirties anymore...
I'm gonna beat this game though, it may take some time, but I'm gonna do it... :-)

Can't recommend it enough if you're into old school shumps. And even if you're usually more into Bullet-Hells because of the challenge, believe me, this game is tough as nails, and, (IMO), more diverse and interesting.
Best of all, there's no cute little manga girl in sight, which is a big plus in my book...

"To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable."
Aaron Copland
07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
A great schmup! and for iPad too! Enough already said on the above commentaries. Can't recommend it enough if you are into retro games or schmups!
07-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Great game. loving the pace, doesn't feel rushed.
Good Job.
07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
The graphics..somehow make me feel unwell...heheh, weird...:x