★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Who Buys Video Games?

07-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Who Buys Video Games?

I just read this study which reveals some surprising information re the changing demographic of video game consumers and the types of games they buy:

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf

Of those surveyed, 19% apparently play on mobile/hand-held devices. I'm not sure that the App Store currently reflects this study's findings but it's food for thought, nonetheless.
07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd like to know their definition of a gamer. I suspect it includes people that play solitaire on their PC etc. Different than what the traditional definition of a game player is.

07-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Interesting article, I think I remember PopCap saying a few years ago that 60% of their Bejeweled player demographic was women over 35! Mostly in the US btw, maybe euro house wives have no computers or different hobbies

Check out my upcoming game Juice Jumpers

Follow me on Twitter
07-07-2011, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_wexer View Post
Interesting article, I think I remember PopCap saying a few years ago that 60% of their Bejeweled player demographic was women over 35! Mostly in the US btw, maybe euro house wives have no computers or different hobbies
Europeans play sudoku only?
07-07-2011, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nantas View Post
Europeans play sudoku only?
The problem with European housewives is they just want sex all the time

I remember PopCap doing a campaign back in the day saying you could 'Loose weight by playing Bejeweled'. It was run in the UK as far as I remember.

So the premise was every time you think of food play Bejeweled instead. Pure gold and a great example of what people will shallow...excuse the pun

Check out my upcoming game Juice Jumpers

Follow me on Twitter
07-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_wexer View Post
The problem with European housewives is they just want sex all the time

I remember PopCap doing a campaign back in the day saying you could 'Loose weight by playing Bejeweled'. It was run in the UK as far as I remember.

So the premise was every time you think of food play Bejeweled instead. Pure gold and a great example of what people will shallow...excuse the pun
it is genius

As "traditional" gamers and game developers, it can be frustrating to think that these are the types of dollars we are competing for, but this is exactly the case. I know of one specific company that has it fairly nailed-down "our target demographic is a bored 43-year-old woman who loves puzzle games." You can't argue with it because there are millions of them out there, and they will gobble up product. These are the people we need to be marketing toward now.. unless you've got another N.O.V.A up your sleeve..
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
I know of one 43-year old woman (my wife) who burned hundreds of hours playing Final Fantasy and ChronoTrigger. She hates DoodleJump.

I think what the study is saying is that you will not understand the growing market if you don't drop your stereotypes of a what constitutes a "gamer." Good advice, IMO.

Gravity Music
Music and sound for Zombieville USA (I & II), OMG! Pirates!, Battleheart and more
"Gravity Doesn't Suck. It Attracts."
www.gravitymusic.com
07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
I know of one 43-year old woman (my wife) who burned hundreds of hours playing Final Fantasy and ChronoTrigger. She hates DoodleJump.

I think what the study is saying is that you will not understand the growing market if you don't drop your stereotypes of a what constitutes a "gamer." Good advice, IMO.
I won't argue with you - there are exceptions to every rule. Also, remember that although there are going to be certain cases (43-year-old Chrono Trigger fans!) there is a reason stereotypes exist, and more than enough market research has been done (and published) to prove this. The exploitation of this is the beginning of why we have companies like Zynga being so alarmingly successful.

I think one of the tenets of the past generation of games (specifically on consoles) is that it's proven there is a much wider market than the scope previously considered. Look at Rock Band, look at Wii, both (seemingly) lower-tech money-dominating powerhouses in gaming. And now we've actually got franchises like COD which are really considered "mainstream" whereas a generation ago they were far more niche. This will all grow as time passes, look at how much focus big groups like MS and Sony are putting on trying to catch up and snag "those casual dollars" as they concentrate on "kiddie-themed" motion control schemes for their HD setups..
07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
These are the people we need to be marketing toward now..
Aw, really? Looks like this is goodbye, it's been fun!

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30BelowStudios View Post
I'd like to know their definition of a gamer. I suspect it includes people that play solitaire on their PC etc. Different than what the traditional definition of a game player is.
My definition of a gamer (from a developerd perspective):

Any person in the world who may be interested in buying my game.