★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite game?
Game #1 1 25.00%
Game #2 2 50.00%
Game #3 0 0%
Game #4 1 25.00%
Game #5 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Publisher: Photics
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 3.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: FIVE FREE GAMES IN ONE APP!

It is the year 2011, the once great arcade empire has fallen. No longer could players enjoy the nostalgic rush of classic arcade games. Lunch-breaks at work went on uneventful and after school time was left to mundane chores. Gamers across the nation are now forced to retreat into their basements and their bedrooms.

But as if sent from the heavens above, a new app has appeared. Shining brightly for all gamers to see, there is a new hope for fun and adventure. A compilation of classic clones was created, to fit in the palms of your hands. No longer will you have to endure the innards of a dark sanctum, in order to enjoy the adrenaline pumping action of historic gaming. Now retro-style arcade gaming can go where you go.

Instructions

Title Screen Numbered balls bounce around the screen. Touch the number of the game you want to play. That numbered ball will move to the center of the screen and the high score for that game will be displayed. If you want to play that game, press that numbered ball again. If not, you can select a different numbered ball.

Game #1 Harness the power of a small star and use it to burn away the space debris. The space paddle will follow your touch. Dont let the fiery orb fall past your paddle. Collect sparking orbs for score bonuses.

Game #2 While traveling through space, an asteroid field jeopardizes your mission. As leader of the convoy you must destroy any asteroids in your path. If you miss, or if you are hit yourself, the mission is over. Touch the screen to shoot and to move. The spacecraft travels in a circular path. Shoot the targets before they leave your view.

Game #3 - Your city is under attack. Fiery balls from the sky threaten the sanctity of your city. Can you stop them with your launcher? Touch the upper part of the screen to fire your weapon. A direct hit is not needs, as the blast wave should stop any projectiles in the area.

Game #4 You are in a testing facility, for a new type of tank. Destroy the target and collect bonus points. Touch the screen to move. Hold the touch to fire. With practice and skill, you can move and shoot at the same time.

Game #5 This is locked! Are your skills good enough to unlock it?

Photics's comments:
Whoops!

I forgot to activate iAds in iTunes Connect. That means version 1.0 of Arcading is free and without advertisements. HA! Enjoy! It's always something. This time I got the listing perfect. Arcading is perched right at the top of the new listings...

Click image for larger version

Name:	arcading-release-date-list.png
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	35167

...heh, but I screwed up the iAds setting.

So, if you hate ads and like free games, you might enjoy version 1.0 of Arcading. I'm currently working on an update to activate the advertisements. If you're planning to download the game, you might want to snag the advertisement-free version before it's too late. I'm almost ready with the update. HA HA

...and I'm going to fix that icon too. Apple's automatic shine effect is ugly... bad contrast!

07-06-2011, 09:21 AM
UPDATE: The update has been sent to Apple. I think that means roughly 3 days of advertisement free downloads. HA HA! I'm not sure if this will retroactively add iAds to the app... as the code is already in the 1.0 app. It's just not turned on.

I suppose I should be angry about this, but I've gotten used to iTunes App Store issues like this. Heh, and I got a good laugh out of Arcading already... and it's not just the iAds issue.

When I logged in to see how people were doing, there were a lot of names already on the leaderboards... but most said "Anonymous". I thought my game got hacked by the infamous hacker group. I was like, "What is this?!" HA HA.

Anyway... if Arcading is popular, then there's a good possibility that I will make another update to the game.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.

07-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Ha... I laughed at this review...
http://appleno1.com/2011/07/relive-t...ough-arcading/

I like how the reviewer played through the game to figure things out. Unlike BOT, which actually had documented controls, Arcading has nothing. Heh, I suppose I should update the app description with some instructions on how to play... and it's certainly an area of improvement for future versions if I decide to continue development.

And yet, because the game is free, over 300 players managed to get listed on the leaderboards. I think that's pretty good considering it just launched yesterday. Even though I put far less effort into this game... it's still only half-a-star less rating than BOT. To me, that just highlights the randomness of the iTunes App Store.

My expectations for this game were low. I think that's why it's been fun.

There's something odd with the combined scores though. It's not working properly. It just seems to be repeating the scores of Game #1. That's odd, as the four leaderboards are all the same type.

In another thread on this site, I wrote that I would make an update (not counting the 1.1 iAds fix) if there were 1337 downloads on launch day. It was close, but not close enough. So, I'll have to wait and see. Maybe I will put some more effort into this one, but so far I don't think it's worth it. There's not a lot of discussion on this game. Heh... no one even voted in the poll.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.
07-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Has anyone figured out how to unlock game 5? If not could you give us a hint photics? Thanks

Edit: Photics I heard you asked toucharcade if they wanted instructions on unlocking game 5. Well this is toucharcade and if anything I say matters then, "YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!"

Last edited by Scorpion008; 07-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.
07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Version 1.1 of Arcading is now available. I think I fixed the issue with iAds, but I'm not sure. I haven't actually seen an ad yet. I don't know if it's something I messed up, low fill rate or because Apple's servers haven't fully processed the update yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion008 View Post
Has anyone figured out how to unlock game 5? If not could you give us a hint photics? Thanks

Edit: Photics I heard you asked toucharcade if they wanted instructions on unlocking game 5. Well this is toucharcade and if anything I say matters then, "YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!"
Wow... I thought that was a secret. I don't remember telling you that.

Yes, I did send an email to one of the editors at Touch Arcade. I didn't receive a reply. Basically... I told them about two secrets... there's a cheat code in the Mac version of BOT and there's a secret to unlocking game #5 in Arcading. I don't think anyone has figured it out yet, so I asked if they wanted to publish the exclusive. There was no reply.

This game is just a litmus test... should I keep creating games? So far, there hasn't been enough interest to continue development on this app. Arcading might be simple now, but I could update it. The grand plan for Arcading is an app with like 100 games... and improvements to the existing games... but I don't think there's enough interest to warrant that much effort. I've been watching to see if that can change.

07-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Since there isn't much interest how will I ever know how to unlock game 5?
07-16-2011, 06:32 AM
The app is now working the way it should. I'm happy with it. Apple's servers just needed to catch up.

Quote:
Since there isn't much interest how will I ever know how to unlock game 5?
I'm going to wait the weekend. If I don't get a response, I'll start looking for another website to tell about Game #5. (Maybe I'll just post the secret on my site.) Unlocking Game #5 a big secret, so I've been thinking of special ways to announce it. Right now I'm busy with another project, but I like this game. I find it fun!

07-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey Photics, here's an idea. Why don't you add an unlockable npc/room/ object that tells how to unlock arcading game 5. Advertise the fact in BOT's discription (including what to do to unlock it: all upgrades, high survival time, etc.), and presto, sales will go up for both games, and players will play BOT to the end, earning you a better review (the game gets better as it advances). Just an idea. By the way, what are you planning for BOT to increase sales?
07-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Just an idea.
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I've been busy with other projects.

I've been having fun playing Arcading. I was enjoying the competition for the top scores on the Game Center leadboards.

Quote:
By the way, what are you planning for BOT to increase sales?
That's still a secret. I'm not ready to make a presentation yet. Heh, maybe I should play Arcading less and work on my projects more.