★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How do you organize closed beta?

07-07-2011, 01:53 AM
How do you organize closed beta?

Hi TouchArcade community!

Recently, I started iOS game development and have been wondering how to do a closed beta test of a game?

Because all the certificate stuff it seems impossible (unless jailbreaking of course) to manually distribute a test version of the application. Still I could install it on my iPhone and pass it around... but well that's my iPhone so I do not want to do that

Is it possible to release a 'private' App on the iOS market? Or do you simply release a public 'beta' version of the game. I'm not even sure Apple will accept an App marked as 'beta'.
07-07-2011, 02:14 AM
that's what ADHOC build are used for. You'll need to create a profile with ID devices of all your beta testers.

07-07-2011, 02:51 AM
07-07-2011, 04:19 AM
We use Testflight

It's pretty easy to recruit tester, distribute test build and collect feedback.

Give it a try and you'll like it
07-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Yup, testflight, emails and the UDIDs of the people testing is all ya need.
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by BravadoWaffle View Post
Yup, testflight, emails and the UDIDs of the people testing is all ya need.
Another big thumbs up for testflight. We did our first game without it, and it was a pain to manage... our 2nd game has been a breeze comparatively.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
And more!
07-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Testflight is probably the best service/app i've found/used this year. Luckily i found it before i started the beta testing process, because it surely has made things easier. I would actually pay upwards of $30/month for their service. (luckily it's free!
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
yup, testflight works like a charm. I think you just need the testers' emails. and btw, make an upcoming thread and ask for testers here on TA. there's tons of beta testers here that are experienced and willing. me included.

im back guys!
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
since i don't want beta tester to jump through hoops with just another service i use beta builder http://www.hanchorllc.com/category/ios-betabuilder/

i also don't like the image of an service collecting huge amounts of ipas from games.. that just cries for hacker to knock their pitty defenses and just grab everything.. nahh.. and in the end they have the udids and mails of my beta testers and what not.. nahh..

i rather use beta builder and host my files on my server of course you have to collect the udids and send emails out by hand.. but i actualy enjoy interacting with the testers and sometimes even write individual mails to them..

later i point them to a download page and they just press download and its gets downloaded.. you can customize the html pages you point them to.. show screenshots, manual whatever you desire..

you just have more control over things..
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys for all the pointers, that's gonna help