★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Whats the difference???

04-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Whats the difference???

My first Ipod Touch game was Aurora Feint. I really liked the way the game looked and played but it was obviously missing something(I dunno, like an actual game, lol). So now I'm thinking about buying Aurora Feint II....because I expect that it's an actual game by now. So my question is, what the heck is the difference between Aurora Feint II: The Beginning and Aurora Feint II: Arena Daemons? I thought Arena was just online, playing against other people, but I don't know. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. The thing is, I have a Touch not an Iphone so I won't be playing online a ton. I wouldn't mind doing it when I'm home or out where there is wifi but I don't want my entire gaming experience dependent on playing online. I'm just confused as to why they'd release two very similar games.
04-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
My first Ipod Touch game was Aurora Feint. I really liked the way the game looked and played but it was obviously missing something(I dunno, like an actual game, lol). So now I'm thinking about buying Aurora Feint II....because I expect that it's an actual game by now. So my question is, what the heck is the difference between Aurora Feint II: The Beginning and Aurora Feint II: Arena Daemons? I thought Arena was just online, playing against other people, but I don't know. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. The thing is, I have a Touch not an Iphone so I won't be playing online a ton. I wouldn't mind doing it when I'm home or out where there is wifi but I don't want my entire gaming experience dependent on playing online. I'm just confused as to why they'd release two very similar games.
What? The Beginning is a game... It's a match 3 clone with more depth than a typical match 3 game offers. You mine resources, build plans and get new items and level up etc. It's more of a game than Bejeweled, which is surely it's inspiration.
The Arena adds an online component. You record a 'ghost' of yourself that records how aggressive you are and your strength. When you play online, you pick a ghost to play against that belong to other players. I wouldn't spend the money if you don't think you will go online much, it's a nice tie in and it works well and makes the game feel complete, as well as gives you reason to continue playing.

04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
What? The Beginning is a game... It's a match 3 clone with more depth than a typical match 3 game offers. You mine resources, build plans and get new items and level up etc. It's more of a game than Bejeweled, which is surely it's inspiration.
The Arena adds an online component. You record a 'ghost' of yourself that records how aggressive you are and your strength. When you play online, you pick a ghost to play against that belong to other players. I wouldn't spend the money if you don't think you will go online much, it's a nice tie in and it works well and makes the game feel complete, as well as gives you reason to continue playing.
I think you misread what I post(or at least I hope)....I was refering to Aurora Feint(the lack of a II) as not being much of a game. It played more like a beta. It was a great idea, but kinda felt like there was no point since the game kept going, and going, and going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
If you don't plan to play online often, I'd avoid Aurora Feint altogether. Except maybe for Tower Puzzles, which is just a straight one player puzzle game. The rest are focused on an "online experience", which apparently means getting flooded with chat and other unnecessary crap when all you want to do is play a quick one player game.

You'll also notice that the original Aurora Feint is no more. Why? Because the developers replaced it with a Lite version of Aurora Feint II (seriously, the last "update" to the original made it a Lite version of the sequel), and because of the focus on an "online experience", playing a simple quick one player game is an exercise in futility.

You want my advice? Get Puzzle Quest, Samura Puzzle Battle or any of the myriad of other more worthy puzzle games on this device that allow for something like a simple goddamn one player game without the various headaches. Why the Aurora Feint developers don't just release a one player only, non online needed version is beyond me, but I guess they're pushing their online gaming "solution" for iTouch/Phone.

I have Puzzle Quest already. I like the game, but Aurora Feint just seemed very polished in the graphics department and was a great idea over all.

So what is the difference between the two then? It sounds like they both have some sort of single player element to it. Still confused.
04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Bump? Anyone know what the true difference is between the two? Or am I just over thinking it, lol.
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Bump? Anyone know what the true difference is between the two? Or am I just over thinking it, lol.
OMGNOBUMPING!! If you look at the description that Aurora Feint II Lite is the same as Aurora Feint, but with more features and stuff

Celebrating the Bliss of Eliss~
Eliss, my #1 favorite game of all time
04-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksl2006 View Post
OMGNOBUMPING!! If you look at the description that Aurora Feint II Lite is the same as Aurora Feint, but with more features and stuff
I was comparing Aurora Feint II: The Beginning to Aurora Feint II: Arena. Thanks for answer the question for me. Nevermind.
04-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Quote:
I was comparing Aurora Feint II: The Beginning to Aurora Feint II: Arena. Thanks for answer the question for me. Nevermind.
The Aurora Feint you have is equal to Aurora Feint II: Lite.

The Arena is all the content of Aurora Feint II: The Beginning but you also get Multiplayer. Basically in the multiplayer you play a timed match. That game is saved and posted for others to play against. When they battle you they will get the same tiles you did, and in the same order. The person to do the most damage first wins.

This allows you to gain experience even when you aren't playing.

You also get Daemons but those are very much like weapons that are only used in the battles.

Other than that they are the same.
04-23-2009, 02:13 AM
Aurora Feint was one of the first games on my iPhone, and I was really excited to see where the devs were going to take it. Sadly it didn't go in the direction I was hoping. The original got turned into a "lite" version and then they came out with the two titles that you mentioned. While developing the online component, they created Open Feint which seems to be the focus of all their efforts lately.

I uninstalled Aurora Feint as soon as it got converted to the "lite" version. My account got messed up somehow and I had to create a new one, and then seeing the title change to a lite version just left a bad taste in my mouth. Whomever they hired for marketing should be fired for poor choice in naming conventions. Between having the original change to a lite version and multiple Aurora II's....all it ended up doing was causing confusion.

At any rate, there are a bunch of good match 3 games to choose from now though, so unless you're looking for online matches like what Aurora Feint II offers, I'd go with one of those instead.