★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad app: need to support all screen orientations?

08-24-2011, 10:46 AM
iPad app: need to support all screen orientations?

I heard that some iPad apps have been rejected from App Store due to them not supporting all screen orientations, instead just one i.e. fixed portrait or landscape. Is this really the case that all orientations need to be supported in iPad specific apps?
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiva View Post
I heard that some iPad apps have been rejected from App Store due to them not supporting all screen orientations, instead just one i.e. fixed portrait or landscape. Is this really the case that all orientations need to be supported in iPad specific apps?
No, we've submitted 5 games for the iPad with only 1 orientation.

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio

08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Ok, thanks.
08-25-2011, 04:03 AM
you need to support at least 2: on iPad, you must be able to turn your iPad upside down and your app must support it. So, no need to support both landscape and portrait but if you support portrait, for example, you must support both portrait with home button down and portrait with home button up ( same with landscape)

BTW, iOS support that very easily, you haven't much to do to support it.

JC
08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
I see, well that makes sense. Thanks for the info
08-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
you need to support at least 2: on iPad, you must be able to turn your iPad upside down and your app must support it. So, no need to support both landscape and portrait but if you support portrait, for example, you must support both portrait with home button down and portrait with home button up ( same with landscape)

BTW, iOS support that very easily, you haven't much to do to support it.

JC
Funny thing is, while the guidelines do state that. There really are quite a number of iPad games that only support the one version of the orientation.

I guess the people factor in the review process has some chinks to it's amour
08-28-2011, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kellett View Post
Funny thing is, while the guidelines do state that. There really are quite a number of iPad games that only support the one version of the orientation.

I guess the people factor in the review process has some chinks to it's amour
I had apps rejected because of that. Are you sure they are any recent iPad apps not supporting this? This isn't mandatory for the iPhone, just the iPad.

JC
08-28-2011, 03:40 AM
One thing that surprised us was the amount of people requesting landscape orientation for our game. Maybe this is peculiar to our game, or perhaps most iPad games are in landscape to begin with.... anyway, something to keep in mind.

StrayRobot - http://strayrobotgames.com
Wooords - Just like playing with fridge magnets… only heaps better
08-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
I had apps rejected because of that. Are you sure they are any recent iPad apps not supporting this? This isn't mandatory for the iPhone, just the iPad.

JC
Just fired up the iPad and checked a few and these dont support both orientations:
  • Continuity 2
  • Rage HD
  • Tap Tanks Lite

The frustrating part about it is they usually support the wrong version of the orientation so when the iPad is on a table, laying flat and raised by it's cover the screen is the wrong way around :-(
08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kellett View Post
The frustrating part about it is they usually support the wrong version of the orientation so when the iPad is on a table, laying flat and raised by it's cover the screen is the wrong way around :-(
Just curious; what is the "wrong way" in this case, is it landscape with home button on the left side or right side?