★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Fencing-themed tactical card game.

Reiner Knizias En Garde is a card game for two players which simulates the sport of fencing. Published many times in a variety of formats since 1993, including a popular Second Life version, this respected game is now available for your iPhone or iPod touch.

Your cerebral battle against the AI expands with unlockable opponents, each with different strategies.

Includes three game types, which require different tactics.

25 cards - 5 each of the values 1-5 - are shuffled each round. Can you get into position to score a successful hit? Does your opponent have the matching card to parry? Who will be the first to win five rounds and become the champion?

Helpful text throughout guides you through playing the game.

PROBLEMS?
---------
Check out our website at www.engardeapp.com
or email support@engardeapp.com

sizzlakalonji's comments:
Another Knizia game=instabuy.

08-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Nice surprise! One of my all-time favorite two-player card games along with Battlelines, Blue Moon and Lost Cities. As you said, instabuy. My iTunes credit is shrinking dangerously this week...

Hmm, still not available in Germany

Now playing: Desktop Dungeons, Card Crawl, XCOM, PvZ2, Kingdom Rush
Waiting for: Love you to bits, Lumino City, Onirim

Last edited by abstractgamefreak; 08-30-2011 at 08:30 AM.

08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractgamefreak View Post
Nice surprise! One of my all-time favorite two-player card games along with Battlelines, Blue Moon and Lost Cities. As you said, instabuy. My iTunes credit is shrinking dangerously this week...

Hmm, still not available in Germany

According to http://www.engardeapp.com/
Reiner Knizias En Garde has now launched on the App Store in major English-speaking territories. We will launch globally in the next few days after the German translation is complete. Over time we will be adding further languages including Dutch, French and Italian. All such updates will be free.

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
According to http://www.engardeapp.com/
Reiner Knizia’s En Garde has now launched on the App Store in major English-speaking territories. We will launch globally in the next few days after the German translation is complete.
I see... Then let's hope they let Reiner proofread before the release- The average german translation in apps is rarely without grave errors and omissions. The En Garde rules, especially the expert variant, are a bit tricky.

Now playing: Desktop Dungeons, Card Crawl, XCOM, PvZ2, Kingdom Rush
Waiting for: Love you to bits, Lumino City, Onirim
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I downloaded this one when it came out, which was about 2 a.m. or so in California. So far, I think it is really good.
08-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Universal or just iphone?

All times favorites : CAVE shooters, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Groove Coaster, Infinity Blade 2, King of Dragon Pass, Ascension, Alien Frontier, Sorcery!, Gamebook Adventure
GameCenter: Corroyeur
08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
This is another Knizia game that seems really simple but has a tremendous amount of depth behind it. This is also the game that filled my second Knizia folder. Wonder what game will start the third...Tigris & Euphrates?

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
This is another Knizia game that seems really simple but has a tremendous amount of depth behind it. This is also the game that filled my second Knizia folder. Wonder what game will start the third...Tigris & Euphrates?
Is there multiplayer or just AI?

Current Favorites: Lords of Waterdeep, Ascension, Cafe International, Lost Cities, and Agricola.

GameCenter ID: cprloe
08-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukester View Post
I'm going to have to take your word for it; from my angle, this one looks deadly dull.

And I'm not just Knizia-bashing here. I've got like 17 of the guy's titles, all the way back to Knights of Charlemagne.
That's ok. It may not be for everyone. It's got a cool mechanic of either advancing or retreating that really mimics a fencing match. It just clicks with me, but it may not for everyone. I certainly wouldn't classify it as dull though.

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
08-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprloe View Post
Is there multiplayer or just AI?
AI only, although I could certainly see multiplayer working. IMO it would have to be live multi though. Asynch would take FOREVER in a game like this that's built on a feeling of quick-flowing card play.