Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Aurum Blade (By Oddy Arts): Free Diablo-like KRPG

Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM

Surprisingly, this is not bad. I've only played a few minutes, but it's immediately apparent that the controls are decent, the framerate is pretty much perfect on an iPhone 4 (not crazy fast, not too slow). The character animation and special effects seem like a step up from the typical KRPG (in fact, with the isometric design it feels decidedly 16 bit). The writing is not great, but well translated. The interface seems clear and easy to use. More important, it seems to plays more like Diablo than like the typical fetch-quest-fest, and the combat (while still button-mashing heavy) is actually kind of satisfying. If I understand things correctly, the game takes place mostly in massive tower; you return to the village only to buy weapons, sell loot, etc. Like in Diablo, there are barrels and boxes that you can break for loot. Again, I'm just getting started, but already the game feels, well, different.

I'm not clear on how the fremium model works -- it could turn out that it ruins the whole experience. Nevertheless, I see no reason why RPG fans should nor at least download the game and check it out.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Surprisingly, this is not bad. I've only played a few minutes, but it's immediately apparent that the controls are decent, the framerate is pretty much perfect on an iPhone 4 (not crazy fast, not too slow). The character animation and special effects seem like a step up from the typical KRPG (in fact, with the isometric design it feels decidedly 16 bit). The writing is not great, but well translated. The interface seems clear and easy to use. More important, it seems to plays more like Diablo than like the typical fetch-quest-fest, and the combat (while still button-mashing heavy) is actually kind of satisfying. If I understand things correctly, the game takes place mostly in massive tower; you return to the village only to buy weapons, sell loot, etc. Like in Diablo, there are barrels and boxes that you can break for loot. Again, I'm just getting started, but already the game feels, well, different.

I'm not clear on how the fremium model works -- it could turn out that it ruins the whole experience. Nevertheless, I see no reason why RPG fans should nor at least download the game and check it out.

From what I have seen, it appears like the the iap are not needed at all. I am about an hour in and like squarezero said it feels solid. Haven't hit a boss, just played with the different characters and skills.

But this has that same feeling I got from Wild Frontier and Demon Hunter, except that the controls are leaps and bounds better.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Genuinely having fun with this, haven't seen anything approaching a paywall yet. It looks like what's available to buy is all the little extras you don't need but are handy to have, like auto looting, bigger inventory etc etc. There's a respec option in there too, but If the game avoids forcing me to use that I will be happy. Fingers crossed for the rest of the game, I think this just might be the addictive loot collector I've been waiting for!

Edit: oh yes, the controls are pure bliss compared to half the rpgs out there.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM

Does the "free" in the name imply that they will release a paid version later?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Good question. So far, I don't see any free-version limits, and no ads for a full version.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Anybody find an enjoyable class? Tried the 2h warrior and found his default attack combo soo slow and he get's hit pretty hard.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

I'm playing with the dual wielder, combat consists of backing groups of monsters into corners and hitting them really fast. And missing....good lord the missing. Saving my points for the passive accuracy skill, hope that improves it.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranne View Post
I'm playing with the dual wielder, combat consists of backing groups of monsters into corners and hitting them really fast. And missing....good lord the missing. Saving my points for the passive accuracy skill, hope that improves it.
I'm playing the dual wielded, too. My favorite tactics is to line up mobs and hitting them with a power attack -- as you level up you can deal serious group damage doing that. Getting a MP drain jewel is a very, very useful.

I'm really, really enjoying this. The story is weak, but the gameplay mechanics are surprisingly sophisticated. I'm really digging the graphics, too. All equipment is visible on the character, with a pretty wide range of designs. The dungeons are nicely varied, too -- it doesn't feel like the same 4 tiles repeated over and over. Content-wise, there seems to be plenty: the main tower is immense, and there are "Power Dungeons" and Blade trials that seem like unique experiences.

The fact that this is free is kind blowing my mind...
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM
iPhone 4

Quote:
Daily Free Tickets to the Power Dungeon
You can enter the Power Dungeon everyday with a Daily Free Ticket. For further exploration, tickets can also be purchased from the Power Shop.
Anyone know what this is about? Taken from the game's iTune description.

Yes I have downloaded the game but yet to try it. So it would be nice for someone to answer it anyway...