Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default what are the best strategy games for the ipad

i can never get enough strategy games, and just wondering, what u think are great. so i can take a look at them if i dont have them

i have distant star, starbase orion, settlers, c+c red alert, blue libra, greed corps, hunters episode 1 and a few others but i cant remember from the top of my head
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnel View Post
i can never get enough strategy games, and just wondering, what u think are great. so i can take a look at them if i dont have them

i have distant star, starbase orion, settlers, c+c red alert, blue libra, greed corps, hunters episode 1 and a few others but i cant remember from the top of my head
Ascendancy is 4x like Starbase Orion but I find S.O. to be a much, much smoother and polished game.

Carcassonne is a *HIGHLY* regarded (and 9.99) strategy game, but I never connected with it. Fell absolutely flat for me. Which is strange, given it's boardgame roots and my history as a tabletop gamer. I just don't dig it.

You mentioned Hunters -- I almost pulled the trigger on that since I love Xcom, but a lot of the watered down elements don't appeal to me.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

sorry mods, posted in the wrong forum, thought i was in general

hunters is a pretty good game, but its too easy and too quick, and there arent enough elements in the game to keep playing it, the levels are all either kill everything, defend something, destroy something, capture something or rescue someone.

i have ascendency, loved the game ever since i first played it on pc years ago.

i think theres alot more that can be accomplished in terms of strategy games on ios, i would love to see a total war game. i know sega demo'ed 1 on an android tab, so hopefully in the near future. and would love to see something like homeworld or an actual civ game, maybe civ 3 or 4
Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Other 4x games are Civilization Revolution, Vincere Totus Astrum and 9 Colonies...

You may also want Keg Bearer.

If you can put up with old graphics and non-touch controls, you should definitely get the Elite ZX Spectrum Collection and the Jullian Gollop IAP (early games by the guy responsible for X-COM, there are a couple of solid titles there including CHAOS which would make for a great multiplayer pass-n-play game!)

I'll 2nd Carcassonne - not as serious of a strategy game, but still one of the most polished iOS games, and a great board game to boot.

Neuroshima Hex would be another great board game that's a bit more serious, as would RK's Samurai. Battle of Wesnoth is a must-have, and War on Eustrath is good too.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

got wesnoth, eustrath, vta, but gonna check the others... someone should release xcom terror from the deep on the ios
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

I guess I'll have to mention my own then....

Great Little War Game might be of interest. Formerly held #1 in strategy charts for a while.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnel View Post
got wesnoth, eustrath, vta, but gonna check the others... someone should release xcom terror from the deep on the ios
If Xcom and SMAC were released for iOS I'd probably die of a heart attack or have to change my shorts.

I'm not into multiplayer titles at all, but one online game that hooked me in the mid/late 90s was Myth II. The guilds, the leaderboards, the teamplay... just a freakishly good strategy game.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post

Great Little War Game might be of interest. Formerly held #1 in strategy charts for a while.
I've almost picked this up a few times but haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. Can anyone comment on AI and campaign length? I've found too many strategy games have a combination of

- lackluster AI
- limited unit choice, or limited upgrade/tech paths
- short campaign

The cartoony graphics don't appeal to me, but I don't find them offensive either and they'd grow on me if GLWG can deliver the gameplay.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Not for me to say really, but TA did a major review of it a while back - the link's in my sig.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post

As long as we're mentioning our own...
give our game Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising a go!

Not really "large scale strategy" as such, more a small unit tactical approach. Gameplay obviously heavily inspired by x-com (which I personally still play at least once a year by the way! ) and the like.