Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Default Elite Collection

---------------------------------------------------------
This came out today in Europe, dont think its out in the US till January.

Theres a few games you get with it and a couple of in app packs to buy (cheap price)

Introductory price 69p (99c) for now. Had a few goes on it, couple of nice games, plus the Ipad version is iCade compatible. Heard of a few nice games coming in future app packs so looking forward to those.

Bruce Lee was recently taken off the C64 app and is now in this Elite one. A classic game from the 80's. Looking forward to seeing future games, would love it if they could include 16 bit Amiga/Atari ST games as well.

Included with the app

Singles (included)

Batty (8 bit Arkanoid clone)
Frank Brunos Boxing (Classic punchout game from the 80's for the 8 bits)
Battleships

Collections (included)

Elite collection (UK) (Uridium, Buggy Boy, First Samurai)
Alternative Reality - (Black Magic and two versions of Alternative Reality)
Elite colllection (German) - Bundesliga Manager, but Enforcer and Denaris look great shoot em ups

In app shop

- You can buy Bruce Lee (a classic), this should be surely a single rather than a pack to buy ?

- Also Barbarian which includes Barbarian, Cauldron and Sacred Armour of Antiriad

- Gremlin Collection, Alternative collection, Software Projects collection

Some good games in it, a few seem to be available already in the ZX Spectrum app though so i'm not buying both twice. Nice to see games from other systems though. Hopefully there'll be some great 8 bit games coming in the future in the in app purchases.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

I sure hope it goes on sale for US launch if it's in January.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

I guess I'm not understanding why I have to pay for Bruce Lee, given that it was in the C64 app, and uninstalled(out of that app)without me asking permission to uninstall it. Besides I own the original C64 version on disk and its owned by a company called DataSoft. So is that Elite? or did they buy them out? I guess I just want to know why a game that has been Freeware for years and years, why has it all the sudden become a "pay for game", and quite frankly should have been one of the free ones that came with this collection.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by blades View Post
I guess I'm not understanding why I have to pay for Bruce Lee, given that it was in the C64 app, and uninstalled(out of that app)without me asking permission to uninstall it. Besides I own the original C64 version on disk and its owned by a company called DataSoft. So is that Elite? or did they buy them out? I guess I just want to know why a game that has been Freeware for years and years, why has it all the sudden become a "pay for game", and quite frankly should have been one of the free ones that came with this collection.
I have the C64 app too and I have noticed that the latest update has removed the game from the app altogether. Not sure why, perhaps licensing as they knew it would be on this collection.

I was bought a C64 when I was 13 and had it for many years (25 years ago now!!!! lol). I have many fond memories of the games so picked this up without even thinking.

The choice of included games is "ok". Very similar to the C64 included games. Frank Bruno Boxing is probably the best one included but you also get Buggy Boy, Uridium and First Samurai.

Of course, the best games are saved for iap - Bruce Lee, Barbarian, Manic Miner and School Daze but the seller for me was Monty on the Run. This was my all time favourite C64 game and I can clearly remember unwrapping one Xmas day !!!

Controls are very good I must say. You can move them around in the settings menu and even choose between dpad, curser keys and joystick. They are very responsive - better than the C64 app.

The downside is the price. Dont get me wrong, 69p/$0.99 intro price is a steal so get it before it goes up to 2.99/$3.99 next week. BUT the iap games are 1.49 per game (or per pack if you are buyiing a pack). i.e. Bruce Lee on its own is 1.49. The Gremlin pack with Monty on the Run/Jack the Nipper/Krackout are 1.49 for the pack.

There are currently 4 additional packs plus Bruce Lee within the iap so thats roughly 7.50 for all games. I would have thought 69p would have been better value as this is the price within the C64 app (if I remember correctly, I may be wrong).

I had to get Monty on the Run though.

Overall retro heaven for me with EXCELLENT controls. My advice is to get while it is 69p/$0.99.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I noticed that last update said "removing games" but I didn't see where it listed them out.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum0ik View Post
The downside is the price. Dont get me wrong, 69p/$0.99 intro price is a steal so get it before it goes up to 2.99/$3.99 next week. BUT the iap games are 1.49 per game (or per pack if you are buyiing a pack). i.e. Bruce Lee on its own is 1.49. The Gremlin pack with Monty on the Run/Jack the Nipper/Krackout are 1.49 for the pack.

There are currently 4 additional packs plus Bruce Lee within the iap so thats roughly 7.50 for all games. I would have thought 69p would have been better value as this is the price within the C64 app (if I remember correctly, I may be wrong).
Not a bad deal compared to the Manimino app, which I paid $5 for, plus a dollar or two each for a few games.

I'm sure they lost B.Lee due to licensing, which is too bad, but licensing is licensing, and it was a free IAP when it was there...

I look it it this way - I don't feel so bad about the IAPs as both developers are sending some of that money TO THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPERS! So... if you ever felt bad that you played a pirated version of XYZ for months back in the day, here's your chance to throw them a few bucks, play the games again and feel good about yourself! I remember saving up $20 for games, and that was back in the 80's! These things are dirt cheap in comparison.

Last edited by drelbs; 12-16-2011 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: fixed quote block
Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Downloading now for the intro price who can say no to some cheap nostalgia. :-)
Old 12-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Some games are already in their ZX app. Any reason to choose one over another? Would Cauldron be better on this or on the ZX app for example?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Not a bad deal compared to the Manimino app, which I paid $5 for, plus a dollar or two each for a few games.

I'm sure they lost B.Lee due to licensing, which is too bad, but licensing is licensing, and it was a free IAP when it was there...

I look it it this way - I don't feel so bad about the IAPs as both developers are sending some of that money TO THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPERS! So... if you ever felt bad that you played a pirated version of XYZ for months back in the day, here's your chance to throw them a few bucks, play the games again and feel good about yourself! I remember saving up $20 for games, and that was back in the 80's! These things are dirt cheap in comparison.
I agree with you - these are cheap and they are very faithful ports rather than a cheap remake.

Dont get me wrong, even 7.50 would be good value for the complete collection. My thinking was purely comparing to the C64 app where the identical games are a little cheaper.

BUT the more I play, the more I realise the value here. The controls are far superior.

Are there going to be any further games?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
Some games are already in their ZX app. Any reason to choose one over another? Would Cauldron be better on this or on the ZX app for example?
Back in the day, the C64 graphics were better than the ZX Spectrum graphics. Being a 64k system compared to the Spectrum 48k system it could produce more. The music will also be a little better (compared to todays standards you could best describe as better quality beaps).

The only difference will be the graphics and music though. The game itself would be the same.