Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 PM

Default Nyrthos: New RPG by BeerDeer Games

Saw this on PocketGamer, which did a short preview that included a call for beta testers. I signed up for it, and they contacted me and asked if I would help them get some coverage on TA. My guess is that some folks around here might be interested .

Here's the press release:

Quote:
NYRTHOS: AN UPCOMING BEAUTIFUL INDIE 2D ACTION RPG

January 4th, 2011: BeerDeer Games, an independent game development studio, officially announced its first game: Nyrthos. Nyrthos is an action RPG for web browsers, Android and iOS. The game is built on an in-house engine, in 2D, seen from an isometric view. Closed beta is scheduled to Q1 of 2012. For more information and beta sign-up, please visit www.nyrthos.com

Introduction
Do you enjoy 2D action RPG games that have great graphics, are simple to learn yet hard to master, fun and addictive? Do you wish to have an impact on the actual history of the world you journey through, taking actions that make a real difference? If you answer “yes”, then Nyrthos by BeerDeer Games might just be the perfect game for you. Play it and watch as a world reveals itself before your eyes.

Gameplay and Features
Besides the typical RPG routine -- travel, fight, loot, upgrade, craft, etc -- every hero will also be given the opportunity to buy a house, establish his own village, manage it, gain more income resources and honor, and, in the end, be able to progress even further in the game.

The will to survive will be greatly rewarded, as strong players will likely uncover previously undiscovered locations. Still, all the players together will have the power to decide the flow of important events in Nyrthos.

Key Features:
• Deep connection between players and developers
• The playable parts of the world unravel based on player actions
• Original world and setting
• Playable right in your browser, with Android and iOS versions coming soon
• Beautifully crafted 2D visuals
• Story and survival modes
• Arena mode, where players will fight through hordes of enemies to earn their rank and honor
• 4 schools of magic, many skills and unique environments

Background Story
The Land of Nyrthos is being slowly consumed by an unknown darkness. The council of elder mages embarked to investigate the eastern border, but has not been heard from ever since. 23 days ago, the pillars of fire were ignited. The whole continent prepares for a war…a war that was foretold by the ancestors, yet nobody knows the reason for it or the enemy they will stand against…

A word from Martin, the graphics and animation artist:
“We always loved the feel of 2D games and though it takes a lot of work, we are convinced that the result is worth it. In the flood of 3D and/or cartoonish games of today that often look cool but somehow generic, I believe Nyrthos will be a great refreshment for many eyes.”

About the Developers
BeerDeer Games is a small independent development studio located in Prague, Czech Republic. It was founded by two web and flash “natives” Martin Jelinek and Martin Pivko. As of today, BeerDeer is working on its first own original release, an RPG game called “Nyrthos” for PC, Android and iOS.

Our goal is to create games that are accessible, beautiful and fun to play, combining established principles we value and enjoy with ideas of our own - often things that we think are missing in other games.
Here are a few images:

That's as much as I know right now. I'm sending this link to the devs -- hopefully they'll post and add more info.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Wow, these graphics are beautiful, and it really reminds me of the golden days of Baldur's Gate!! :-) I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

See...this is what I'm f'n talking about. Hell yeah!!! See if you can get the devs to come on over to TA!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

They are making a RPG to be compatible with "web browser"? There is a multi-paragraph description that does not specify gameplay style? I am not inspired to confidence yet. Will this be turn based, action/KRPG, or other?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
They are making a RPG to be compatible with "web browser"? There is a multi-paragraph description that does not specify gameplay style? I am not inspired to confidence yet. Will this be turn based, action/KRPG, or other?
Based on the description it sounds like it will look like Zenonia but will be a bit less linear while still being linear. So... it knid of sounds like a 2D Dungeon Hunter 1/2 (or Diablo clone) with "every hero will also be given the opportunity to buy a house, establish his own village, manage it, gain more income resources and honor, and, in the end, be able to progress even further in the game."

I'm super excited about this game from the description, but I definitely understand why your confidence is shaky. There are so many things that could potentially ruin this game, which is why I signed up for the beta ASAP!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 AM

I lied!!!

I did some looking around the website and this seems to be more along the lines of an actual RPG. I'm going to fully read everything, bu by the looks of things they could turn the aRPG into RPG, which would be awesome in my opinion; especially since I really dislike the term aRPG.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:25 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via MSN to relaxgod

mark
Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by macatron View Post
Wow, these graphics are beautiful, and it really reminds me of the golden days of Baldur's Gate!! :-) I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one!! Thanks for sharing.
Exactly what i thought ! Love the look of the graphics, hope its a huge non-linear world. Either way its exciting to follow this one
Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

The lighting looks pretty neat on those darker levels. Hopefully there will be lights that cut through the fog?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Hi from the Devs

Hi guys,

I am one of the devs of Nyrthos. I got a message from squarezero that the post is up. He is obviously "no zero", as we like to say in Czech Republic Thank you for putting it up!

To all of you, thank you for your kind words. It feels great when people talk about our game, and even much better when they seem to like it

In case you have any questions, I will try to answer them here. We dont have our own forum up, so it will be a great opportunity to get to know you!

See ya,
Martin