Alright, I can take them or leave them. 63 23.25%
Dead, modern RPGs are far better. 37 13.65%
Who cares; all RPGs suck. 4 1.48%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Coldfire Keep: First-Person RPG

Coldfire Keep is a traditional first-person role-playing game for iOS. The game utilizes the 90-degree-turn and grid-based movement systems of early first-person RPGs, along with semi-turn-based combat.

The game is being developed by myself and several contributors.

Players will control a party of four heroes, created from four traditional classes, and explore a vast dungeon filled with puzzles, traps, and monsters.

Youtube link | Pop Up

For more information and ongoing updates, please visit my website:

Steve Jarman

You can also keep up to date with the latest by following me on Twitter:

@sjarm

Last edited by geppetto; 02-09-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Hey geppetto. Glad to hear that you're working on a new title. From the description the game sounds very intriguing. Hopefully this one connects better with a larger audience than Descend.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Hey geppetto. Glad to hear that you're working on a new title. From the description the game sounds very intriguing. Hopefully this one connects better with a larger audience than Descend.
CK is a very different beast to Descend, both in terms of scope and in the level of freedom that players have within the game. It will also be quite a different beast to the first-person RPGs that have come before it, though obviously there's a lot of great influences going into this thing.

The player's party is created from scratch using a traditional four-class system of Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Shaman, allowing much greater strategic freedom. But as a twist, I'm working on a pretty interesting conversation system that allows the characters to have discussions with each other that are "in character", or relevant to their "role" within the party.

Individual levels will be much less linear, with optional areas that are either hidden or require certain criteria to be met before becoming accessible. There is also a much greater scope of "Circumstances" that the player can find themselves in, in relation to puzzles, traps, etc.

All-in-all, this is just a much "bigger" game with much more ambitious goals. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all turns out

Last edited by geppetto; 11-12-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppetto View Post
CK is a very different beast to Descend, both in terms of scope and in the level of freedom that players have within the game. It will also be quite a different beast to the first-person RPGs that have come before it, though obviously there's a lot of great influences going into this thing.

The player's party is created from scratch using a traditional four-class system of Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Shaman, allowing much greater strategic freedom. But as a twist, I'm working on a pretty interesting conversation system that allows the characters to have discussions with each other that are "in character", or relevant to their "role" within the party.

Individual dungeons will be much less linear, with optional areas that are either hidden or require certain criteria to be met before becoming accessible. This concept also applies at the World Map level, with both "Story Areas" as well as optional areas that are either discovered by chance, or by fulfilling certain obligations elsewhere in the game.

Within the dungeons themselves, there is also a much greater scope of "Circumstances" that the player can find themselves in, in relation to puzzles, traps, etc.

Loot is also greatly improved with weapon and armor "Aspects" that grant special abilities, immunities, etc. These are also generated on the fly so repeated play-throughs will yield different pickups for the player to experiment with.

The "Talent" system is also a little more traditional, with D&D style feats and skills which characters are able to learn and improve when leveling up.

All-in-all, this is just a much "bigger" game with much more ambitious goals. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all turns out
Great to hear. Good luck racing funds.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Raising the funds... yep, that certainly is the challenge at hand
Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

One question: Will this be releasing for iphone/iPod Touch as well?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue016 View Post
One question: Will this be releasing for iphone/iPod Touch as well?
No. Unfortunately there just isn't enough screen realestate for what I'm trying to do. This one will be iPad only (as well as MacOS/Windows desktops).

EDIT OF THE EDIT: YES - the game is now Universal

Last edited by geppetto; 07-08-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 PM

The teaser is giving me flashbacks to Eye of the Beholder / Lands of Lore...making this game one to watch for me!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadon View Post
The teaser is giving me flashbacks to Eye of the Beholder / Lands of Lore...making this game one to watch for me!
The funding campaign isn't doing too well so far, but hopefully it will pick up so I can complete the game.

If anyone knows people that would be interested in playing a game like this, please point them towards the funding page to contribute.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I've just added a poll to this thread - curious about people's interest level in these sorts of old-school RPGs.

Closed Thread