Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Balu` Balu` is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,956
Default Help me pick a new phone?

Hey guys! I need some help choosing a new phone, since one I currently have (a SE X10 mini pro) is getting pretty old. The obvious answer would be an iPhone in this community, but a 4s and even a 4 would be way out of my price range... I've been thinking about a WP7 device, maybe the cheaper Lumia.
Any ideas?
  #2  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Teknikal Teknikal is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 1,997
Default

Depends really on where you are in the world and what network you are on. Also if you want to stay on Android or try something new.
If you want a cheap smart phone I'll throw in the Samsung Galaxy mini it's quite new but is much more like a galaxy S than S2.

I've actually been thinking about buying one of these but I kind of like the rugged indestructable kinda gadget I'm a sucker for G-Shocks etc.

Best bet is probably looking on your networks site for offers in truth though.
  #3  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Balu` Balu` is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneNinja View Post
4s are $50 on a plan and the 3gs is free.

Anyway, get an iphone! What answer did you really expect from a forum such as this?
I would. However, while they are cheap in the US, here a 4S 16GB costs ~$700 on an affordable (~$20-25 a month) plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Depends really on where you are in the world and what network you are on. Also if you want to stay on Android or try something new.
If you want a cheap smart phone I'll throw in the Samsung Galaxy mini it's quite new but is much more like a galaxy S than S2.

I've actually been thinking about buying one of these but I kind of like the rugged indestructable kinda gadget I'm a sucker for G-Shocks etc.

Best bet is probably looking on your networks site for offers in truth though.
I'm in Hungary on T-Mobile. And I'm getting sort of tired of Android, so I'm completely open to something new.
Galaxy mini is good, but way too small to use without a keyboard, thanks to my huge fingers. Plus, Google isn't known for supporting older or lower-end devices for a long time, it won't even get ICS.
These reasons are exactly why I've been looking at the Lumia 710 by Nokia. It looks decent, WP7 seems like a good system (and yes, I've tried it already) and there are few Android devices that are good in this price range (LG's Optimus Black, Samsung's Galaxy S Plus or SE's Neo would be options, though only the first two are available).
  #4  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
phazer89 phazer89 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 365
Default

If you want a WP7 a Nokia phone would be good, although the 710's battery life might be somewhat bad IIRC. Maybe the Lumia 610, but that won't be out for some time.
  #5  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Balu` Balu` is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer89 View Post
If you want a WP7 a Nokia phone would be good, although the 710's battery life might be somewhat bad IIRC. Maybe the Lumia 610, but that won't be out for some time.
Yeah, I've heard it's pretty bad, but my current phone's is absolutely horrible, so I'm used to it. :X I'm buying one really soon, so sadly that one is out of the picture.
  #6  
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
November's Chopin November's Chopin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneNinja View Post
4s are $50 on a plan and the 3gs is free.

Anyway, get an iphone! What answer did you really expect from a forum such as this?
$50 on a plan? Which country are you from?
In Canada it's $159 on a plan. O.o
  #7  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Cilo Cilo is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,187
Default

If you're getting a WP7 the Lumia 800 and 900 are so sexy ! The 710 . . . not so much .

Lumia 800
  #8  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Cilo Cilo is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneNinja View Post
Looks kind of like a Galway S and a iPhone had a baby and dressed in in bright fisherprice blue.
Lol it comes in black and white as well.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Cilo; 03-01-2012 at 09:01 PM..
  #9  
Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Fireball926 Fireball926 is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,469
Default

My dad has a windows phone 7 for work and he hates it lol. Probably one of the worst operating systems he's seen. He can't stand it haha. Neither can I. It might just be me but the metro UI is terrible and ugly
  #10  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 PM
phazer89 phazer89 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balu` View Post
Yeah, I've heard it's pretty bad, but my current phone's is absolutely horrible, so I'm used to it. :X I'm buying one really soon, so sadly that one is out of the picture.
Well you can probably get more juice out of it by turning off the standard battery-draining features (3G, auto-syncing etc.), and it should still last a day if you don't use it that much. Plus I think you can take out the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball926 View Post
My dad has a windows phone 7 for work and he hates it lol. Probably one of the worst operating systems he's seen. He can't stand it haha. Neither can I. It might just be me but the metro UI is terrible and ugly
Metro is probably a love-it-or-hate-it UI, although more people seem to like it than not.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent