★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: It is the year 2097, humans can longer sustain the repeated alien invasions to earth. The UN commissioned the strongest cyborg soldier to the legendary space death squad....

Out Zone Reloaded is a classic run and gun arcade shooter game that takes place in the year 2097 whereby mankind is invaded by an alien race and it is up to cyborg soldiers controlled by the player to destroy the invasion force. Your task is to take command of the cyborg marine sent in to eradicate all alien scum in a region called the "Out Zone" through 7 long and extremely challenging levels, complete with a full compliment of very tricky to defeat end-of-stage guardians.

---Gameplay / Instructions---

*Energy Bar*
This game imposes a time limit in the form of an energy bar that slowly drains as time goes on. If the bar empties completely, you lose a life. It is refilled when you pick up "E" icons or complete a level.

*Bomb*
These destroy all minor enemies and bullets on the screen, and severely damage larger foes, and will make you invincible for a short period of time.

*Main Weapons*
You can use one of two main weapons, and switch between them by picking up "C" icons. The semi-automatic gun shoots forward no matter which way you move, but shoots three bullets in a slight spread each time. The all-direction laser fires in whatever direction you're moving, and create a sweep of bullets as you change direction. The two main weapons can be upgraded by picking up "P" icons. Several special bonuses are available as different colored "SP" icons.

Super Burner (yellow SP icon)
Super Ball (pink SP icon)
Speed UP (blue SP icon)
Shield (white SP icon)
Energy Extend (green SP icon)

Sanuku's comments:

03-28-2012, 12:38 AM
looks ikari warriors-y. But futuristic. And free? Okayyy, ya got me!

03-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Horrific controls. Laggy. Graphic issues (screen tear between tiles, etc). Crashing. Wifi symbol = fire button?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
03-28-2012, 01:04 AM
whew! this one is tough. and I don't just mean challenging to play.
pixel art is cool (if garish, but I don't mind that) and honestly the stage layouts are varied and well-designed enough to feel proper. but yeah as strive said, control is a major problem here, unless you have the 3 way weapon - which, admittedly, they give you many, many times - it's extremely unsatisfying to move & shoot (and even then, still not very much!)

Also in spite of the nice pixel work, the translation anim's are terrible, simply rotating the sprites in-engine which look terrible (actual aim frames of walking/etc are fine). It doesn't matter to gameplay, but gives it a very cheap and hacked-in feeling. The UI/etc all feels like it was done by a different person altogether, and much lower-grade, so if I found out these sprites were nicked off of somewhere else I wouldn't be surprised.

Overall, I recommend that you don't waste your time with this.
03-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Game Impressions

03-28-2012, 05:20 AM
This is my sort of game, love Commando/Mercs/Ikari Warriors etc. But hearing some of the views above, hmmm doesnt sound as good as i want it to be, at least its free so i'll give it a go. But yeah yuck that wifi icon is horrible for the shoot icon !

Hope there'll be some updates in the future for this, it 'looks' good but i know that doesnt always mean anything, all about the gameplay so i'll try this later
03-28-2012, 05:26 AM
All these years and i hadnt tried this game out in MAME, oops ! Didnt realise it was an old arcade hit, heres the original with the same first level...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBR1mLvHpkQ

Now the original looks a 'bit' quicker to say the least ! You watch that and then this iOS version and the iOS version seems to be a nasty slow version, shame
03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
All these years and i hadnt tried this game out in MAME, oops ! Didnt realise it was an old arcade hit, heres the original with the same first level...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBR1mLvHpkQ

Now the original looks a 'bit' quicker to say the least ! You watch that and then this iOS version and the iOS version seems to be a nasty slow version, shame
Wow the arcade looks way better. This one I wouldn't even call a port, but a terrible remake using the original art assets.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
03-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I'll still give this one a try but compared to the original it plays terribly.

Thank god its free, would hate it if i had to pay for it and then i realise its just a lazy remake of a good shoot em up. Really really hope the devs can update it to make it quicker, only good thing is i didnt realise this was an old arcade game so i'll try this right now in MAME

Last edited by psj3809; 03-28-2012 at 10:11 AM.
03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Horrific controls. Laggy. Graphic issues (screen tear between tiles, etc). Crashing. Wifi symbol = fire button?
Amen... the controls are horrendous,dreadful,terrible,awful,extremely bad etc.I cant think of enough adjectives to describe how bad the controls are...good luck