Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Developer

Default Pocket God 1.44 - The Perfect Swarm

Hey Guys,

New update just hit the App Store. This is our second apocalypse update.

The Locust Chamber!

So, in this chamber we have the Locust Queen that is sitting on a pedestal. She is huge and unable to move, her only job is to create more locust babies which you do by feeding her pygmies. When you feed a pygmy to her, her stomach starts to bump around and make buzzing sounds and then you have to touch her belly to squeeze out the baby locusts.

The locusts themselves are an algorithmic effect kind of like the rainbow and lightning. So they fly around randomly until you drag your finger on the screen and then they trail behind your finger. You can do a bunch of stuff to the pygmies with the locusts, you can cause a pygmy to swallow a single locust which will turn him into a mutant locust, you can cause a pygmy to swallow a bunch of locusts which will make the pygmy get large like a balloon. if you tap the large pygmy or the mutant locust, they go splat like a bug. you can also cause the locusts to eat the pygmies flesh and fly off with his skull and hair bone, this was a shout out to the ant update. you can also cause the locusts to pick up a pygmy and toss him back and forth in the air. when he is in the air, you can swipe through the pygmy and cut him in half with the locusts ala fruit ninja. this isn't an official cross over, we just thought it would be a funny idea.

We are also starting to build out the apocalypse chambers, the Locust Chamber is accessed from the second door in the Time Chamber. and the Locust Chamber has two exits that will lead to two future updates.

The update comes with the Mondo Skin Pack, it's basically a collection of weird items, like the nerd doodler, lava lamps for the islands, an old school video game cabinet for the island statue, etc. The same artist that did our Battle of the Gods and Killing Time posters did the pack for us. We are going to try and have some guest artists that we admire help out with more of the skin packs. I think it's a good idea and will allow us to add new creative items.

It's too soon to talk about the next update but we will be starting it at the end of the month. This month we need to focus on The Runs. We won't release The Runs until we think it's good enough to stand next to the other great games on the app store. We usually crank out our mini games fairly quickly but for this, we really want to do something special and sometimes it takes time to find the right approach that will make it shine. We have somewhat of a deadline to get a bulk of it done this month before we start working on the next PG update and then use May and possibly June to polish and release it.

We actually did a ton of work on a pretty awesome level design tool for the Runs. We started the tool when we did decapithon but it's come a long way since then. it uses Adobe Flash as the editor but allows us to lay out huge levels and add things like camera triggers that change the zoom, or slow down the frame rate so it will be like a bullet time part of the level. It's taken a lot of work to get the tool this far but it will allow us to do larger levels and make them higher quality.

We also are using a new render technique in The Runs. We want to add a ton of layers to the levels and bitmaps that have alpha channels are actually pretty slow to render on the iphone. so we are using vector graphics with bitmap fills for large pieces of the background layers.

So I think that's about it. let me know what you think of the update.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Is The Runs running good on 2g iPods?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar599 View Post
Is The Runs running good on 2g iPods?
yes, its at around 55fps now, and I'm sure we will get to 60, but now we are focusing on game play again.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:14 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks for the update!!! Doing the acopalypse thingie was a great idea!! So far episode 43 and 44 were my favorite ones!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 AM
iPad, iOS 4.x

Like I've said in the precedent post in the Killing Time section, AWESOME update!!! When i first heard of locusts i tought:"Wow, cool! We will have a Chamber identical to the time one, but, instead of the time-warping engine, it will have a coocoon or a locusts nest, where the queen lies. Then we will tap her and drag a swarm of deadly locusts directly on the poor Pygmies." Then the icon came out and I said:"Great, maybe if you give her a Pygmy, she wil bite him and he will turn into a locust hybrid." Then you Dave told us that each Chamber will be unic. And I tought:"They will probably change the music an the colour of the Chamber." But THIS... I could never imagine THIS... The Chamber is out of this world, the Locust Queen is horrible and cute at the same time and the locust interactions... What more can I say? I can't even think of what are you going to do next, but, now that i saw this new Chamber, I let you doing whatever you want. Mr. Dave, Mr. Allan, as always, FANTASTIC update!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 AM

The balloon pygmys fart out gnats... lol. This update is hilarious... and it's sooooo nice having Battle of The Gods back...
Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Developer

btw, the next update will be a cute one
Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
btw, the next update will be a cute one
Is that a hint, or just a comment?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Is that a hint, or just a comment?
I guess its kind of a hint, it's the direction we are going. but no riddler sub message in that one.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 AM

The music in the new chamber is pretty intense...

Last edited by Jazzzed; 04-05-2012 at 03:25 AM..