Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Aryan? Really?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Aryan? Really?
I've seen this use of "Aryan" in several games from China. I'm not sure exactly what's meant by it, but it's a pretty good argument for running your game by a native speaker of English.

If the devs are monitoring this thread, you guys should really take a look at the Wikipedia page for "Aryan". To Americans and Europeans (at least), Aryan has only one meaning: the Nordic master race promoted by Hitler et al, as opposed to the Jews and Gypsies, who were to be exterminated.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Aryan? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSnyder View Post
I've seen this use of "Aryan" in several games from China. I'm not sure exactly what's meant by it,
Read the description. They do mean Aryan. The game seems to involve a secret Nazi city, populated only by Aryans one would assume.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
Read the description. They do mean Aryan. The game seems to involve a secret Nazi city, populated only by Aryans one would assume.
Yeah, I see that. However, when I think Aryan and Nazis, I immediately think of all of the negative imagery associated with the time of Hitler, WWII, and the skin head movement of more modern times. I don't think glowing ball with green eyes falling down a hole in search of an entrance to the center of the Earth.

It seems to me that the developers could have picked almost any other name for the city, including simply Project 9: The Underground City, without using the word Aryan. The use of the word Aryan in this case has nothing to do with any of the imagery presented in the promo materials. I understand the so called "factual subject matter" that the game is based upon, even though I'm not familiar with the story...but I doubt I'm alone here. It's just a sort of story that does not have to be based upon the "factual subject matter" of the history of Hitler's crazy Nazi ideals. The journey to the center of the Earth is a fine science-fiction story all on its own, and it does not need the Nazi/Aryan back story to be a perfectly capable game on its own merits.

It appears that the developer is not from a native English speaking background, and may have an entirely different opinion of their country's involvement during WWII, but if they aim to promote their game in the US, which is probably where they hope to have the biggest sales, I would think that they would want to do a little more research before throwing around the words Nazi and Aryan. I'm certainly not going to support this content, but that is simply my opinion, and I would doubt I'm alone.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to amn624 Send a message via Skype™ to amn624

Quote:
Yeah, I see that. However, when I think Aryan and Nazis, I immediately think of all of the negative imagery associated with the time of Hitler, WWII, and the skin head movement of more modern times. I don't think glowing ball with green eyes falling down a hole in search of an entrance to the center of the Earth.

It seems to me that the developers could have picked almost any other name for the city, including simply Project 9: The Underground City, without using the word Aryan. The use of the word Aryan in this case has nothing to do with any of the imagery presented in the promo materials. I understand the so called "factual subject matter" that the game is based upon, even though I'm not familiar with the story...but I doubt I'm alone here. It's just a sort of story that does not have to be based upon the "factual subject matter" of the history of Hitler's crazy Nazi ideals. The journey to the center of the Earth is a fine science-fiction story all on its own, and it does not need the Nazi/Aryan back story to be a perfectly capable game on its own merits.

It appears that the developer is not from a native English speaking background, and may have an entirely different opinion of their country's involvement during WWII, but if they aim to promote their game in the US, which is probably where they hope to have the biggest sales, I would think that they would want to do a little more research before throwing around the words Nazi and Aryan. I'm certainly not going to support this content, but that is simply my opinion, and I would doubt I'm alone.
You're definitely not alone.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Looks like a pretty cool game to me. I'll probably be grabbing this regardless of the name - its not used here in any kind of offensive context and there is no problem at all including the Nazis in a game... Plenty of precedents for this that are part of mainstream gaming.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Default I think you are right....

Quote:

I realized that I had made a mistake.And I think you are right.I'm so sorry...
The Underground Aryan City is a proper noun.
Some scientists believe that a German base still remains in the Antarctic. Moreover, it is even said that there is an underground Aryan city called New Berlin.
We all hate the Nazi's atrocities. So at the end of our game plot,the heros destroyed the underground Aryan city.
Relevant information:
http://www.rense.com/general32/aryan.htm
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/es...al_Information
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Default I realized that I had made a mistake.

Quote:
Aryan? Really?
Some scientists believe that a German base still remains in the Antarctic. Moreover, it is even said that there is an underground Aryan city called New Berlin.
We all hate the Nazi's atrocities. So at the end of our game plot,the heros destroyed the underground Aryan city.
Relevant information:
Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Default I realized that I had made a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSnyder View Post
I've seen this use of "Aryan" in several games from China. I'm not sure exactly what's meant by it, but it's a pretty good argument for running your game by a native speaker of English.

If the devs are monitoring this thread, you guys should really take a look at the Wikipedia page for "Aryan". To Americans and Europeans (at least), Aryan has only one meaning: the Nordic master race promoted by Hitler et al, as opposed to the Jews and Gypsies, who were to be exterminated.
Relevant information: