★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Toucharcade App ads

07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
#1
Toucharcade App ads

I opened the TA app and I saw a little add under the front page article and then a full screen add popped up. Are there always goin to be the adds you have to close, cause I really don't like those. I like the smaller one. Can we have them more like that?
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
#2
Seconded, I'd rather have no adds at all, but I realize you guys and gals need some funding to keep the site in the air. Please just get rid of the godawful popups.

07-31-2012, 07:02 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthop View Post
Seconded, I'd rather have no adds at all, but I realize you guys and gals need some funding to keep the site in the air. Please just get rid of the godawful popups.
Yeah i can deal with the banners but I hate pop ups
07-31-2012, 07:16 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 233
Might I suggest a small compromise?

How about an in-app purchase that removes the ads? I am not quite sure how the economics would work, such as the benefits of ad revenue over a series of one-time purchases, but it's a thought.

Or, to take it further: a weekly/monthly/yearly recurring IAP? That could allow for those who support the site but hate the ads to get what they want, AND support TouchArcade. Thought and planning on pricing would, of course, need to be taken into consideration.

In any case, the thought would be to allow iOS peeps on the App and not the website proper to give monetary support. In short, the IAP could be the equivalent of a PayPal donation.

Any thoughts on the idea?
07-31-2012, 07:47 PM
#5
Ugh paying to remove adds is really a gimmick that many devs use. You get dual income then from sponsors and users. I don't like devs that focus on profit.
07-31-2012, 08:08 PM
#6
Hey guys

Yes the app can display ads. There are a couple of kinds. The full screen one and the simple banners.

The full screen one has a lockout measured in days, so it shouldn't be a daily burden. Given the realities of supporting a site like this, I think we did a reasonable job balancing the experience, but, of course, I may be a little biased.

arn
07-31-2012, 08:28 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Hey guys

Yes the app can display ads. There are a couple of kinds. The full screen one and the simple banners.

The full screen one has a lockout measured in days, so it shouldn't be a daily burden. Given the realities of supporting a site like this, I think we did a reasonable job balancing the experience, but, of course, I may be a little biased.

arn
So the full screen one pops up like once every 24 hours? That sounds very reasonable pretty smart to
07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two_Face View Post
So the full screen one pops up like once every 24 hours? That sounds very reasonable pretty smart to
The pop up happens once per the duration of the ad, so likely several days.

arn
07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
#9
Ok glad you aren't just spamming adds down our throats to make some profit. TA staff just gets smarter and Cooler
07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Upstate NY/USA
Posts: 2,342
yea, I had noticed it but it doesn't seem to pop up to the point of me cringing when I open up the app. Like arn said, its fairly well balanced as not to be too annoying to keep me from using it.