★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Classical, simple and fun! These three words represent the latest pinball title of ASK Homework, the Art of Pinball. All the pinball tables of Art of Pinball represent pinball tables of 70s that means simple layout, easy gameplay, low scores and score reel without such modern features as kickback, jackpot, combo and ramp.

FEATURES
- 4 different camera views
- Realistic physics and ball movements
- Highly detailed 3D graphics
- Retina display support on iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S
- Realistic sound effects
- Special effects (light, reflection, shadow, glass)
- 9 different flippers (8 of them are available as an in-app)
- 3x3 types of balls (8 of them are available as an in-app)
- 3 various sound packs (2 of them are available as an in-app)
- 3 balls gameplay (5 balls is available as an in-app)

IN-APPS
FLIPPER PACK includes 8 flippers with different shapes and materials which prevent you to lose ball too often (Banana, Blue Gem, Vampire, Rubber, Zombie, Pussycat, Lava, Ring)
BALL PACK includes 8 balls with different materials and physical properties (2 steel ball, 3 marble ball, 3 rubber balls)
SOUND PACK includes 2 additional sound packs which make your gameplay more authentic (Retro, Modern)
BALL NUMBER adds 2 additional balls, so you have 5 balls in all to beat your high score

REVIEWS
Pinball purists will absolutely love these direct tabletop games. There are no special slow-motion ball features or three-second rewind. The Art of Pinball was definitely created for the diehard player who cares more about realistic action than realistic visuals. - AppAdvice
08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
The ugly button for the music on/off toggle

The developer continues to place a constantly present, large and intrusive icon on the left side of the screen for the music on/off toggle. If anyone from this company is following this thread, please consider changing the position of this in an update.

08-17-2012, 05:27 PM
[cross-posted from what I wrote at Pinball Arcade Fans]

These tables are pretty fun. They look great, and theyre definitely old school in their feel. The scores are kept low, there arent any dot matrix animations or missions, and you cant change lit lanes using your flippers. But the ball moves and reacts nicely.

Heres some random observations that I jotted down while playing:
  • Neither of these tables are available in their pinball collection, Age of Pinballs. I emailed them about this, and they mentioned that they dont currently plan on adding these tables as in-app purchases. Too bad.
  • Be careful which version of the app you buy, this isnt universal. Theres iPhone and iPad versions of each of these tables.
  • Theres lots of in-app purchases:
    Flipper Pack: $1.99
    Ball Pack: $0.99
    Sound Pack: $0.99
    Ball Number: $0.99
    Theres not a naggy sales pitch anywhere in the game for purchasing any of this stuff. Its available in the main menu, but there arent any pop ups or notifications trying to force your hand.

Before purchasing any of these in-apps, theres no way to preview what it is that youre purchasing. You can see some of these alternate assets in the App Store screenshots, but theres no way to preview anything from within the app. And Im damn sure not buying any of this stuff, so I cant comment on what any of these in-app purchases actually provide.

Note also, that since this app isnt universal, if you want these in-apps, youll need to purchase them twice if youre buying the iPhone and the iPad version of each table. If you get both tables, and you got both version of each table, and you get all of the in-app purchases, youre out $19.84. (If these tables were added to Age of Pinballs, wed be able to get all of these in-apps for each table with a single purchase. This, in my opinion, is why they havent done this, unfortunately.)
  • In what I can only assume is an attempt to coax you to buy the $1.99 Flipper Pack, the default (and free) flippers are ugly white flippers that put Flipper on them in bolded black text. This is good, I suppose, if you ever forget what these things are called. Its bad if youre averse to in-app nickel and diming.
  • The plunger control isnt analog. You dont pull back to release it, you just press in the bottom-right corner, and it pulls it back. So if you want to release the plunger at less than full speed, you have to release your pull early. If you hold the onscreen press too long, theres no way to lessen the strength of the pull. This is problematic on the Mummy table, because theres a 1000 point shot you can hit with a well done pull. On Aliens, it doesnt seem to matter as much.
  • Theres a ball-save feature, where youll get your ball back if you drain quickly.
  • The physics seem tweaked from what appears in the Age of Pinballs. To me, it seems less floaty, and it feels a lot better.
  • Inexplicably, theres an overlay on the left side of the screen where you can toggle the music on and off. If you press this onscreen button, the music turns off, but the sound effects remain. You cant hide this distracting button from the interface.
  • In Age of Pinballs, theres an ambient crowd noise that isnt present here.
  • If youre backgrounding music from another app, you wont be able to run it while playing any of these tables. Even if you turn the games music off, you still wont be able to play any of your music.
  • Each table is portrait only, and there are four views you can choose from. The first view shows the whole table from a three quarters view, and theres no zooming thats necessary. The other views have zooming in and out, but its nowhere near as jarring as what youll see in, say, the Gameprom tables.
  • Each table supports OpenFeint for leaderboards. Age of Pinballs supported Game Center, but it doesnt appear to be supported with these apps for some reason. (I thought OpenFeint was supposed to have built in support for Game Center, and that this was something that developers would get for free when implementing OpenFeint.)
  • OpenFeint scores are not synced between iPhone and iPad versions of the app.
  • When entering initials, the text field that theyre using doesnt limit text shortcuts. So even though Im limited to only three characters here and Im not trying to invoke this shortcut, when I type my initials, Im triggering this shortcut that Ive created to enter my email address. This shortcut doesnt work, and I dont want it to, but this suggestion should never be made to the user.
  • Theres a bug in the plunger code. When pulling all the way back on the plunger and holding, the ball will spin and spin and spin. The spin is fine when youre pulling back initially, but if you hold it, it should come to rest. Otherwise, it looks bizarre.
08-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Mmm would have been nice to have this tables in the Age of Pinballs app, or at least in a new Art of Pinball app where all the tables in this series could be bundled together... Looks nice though and the asking price is super cheap.

Favorite games: LittleWing Crystal Caliburn, Legends of Yore, Hook Worlds, Phoenix HD, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Spectral Souls, Bastion, Avadon, Dariusburst SP, Aquaria, King of Dragon Pass & Starbase Orion
08-18-2012, 08:03 AM
As mentioned @ PAF (see link above) I think this new pricing model and disto isn't the way to go. An Art of Pinballs collection (universal) would be much better.

Art of Pinball - The Mummy (for iPhone only) has just gone free so maybe they are finding out the change hasn't worked. I'll gladly buy every table in a new Art Of Pinball universal collection!
08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
As mentioned @ PAF (see link above) I think this new pricing model and disto isn't the way to go. An Art of Pinballs collection (universal) would be much better.

Art of Pinball - The Mummy (for iPhone only) has just gone free so maybe they are finding out the change hasn't worked. I'll gladly buy every table in a new Art Of Pinball universal collection!
+1 to this. I would be all over an Art of Pinball collection app.

Favorite games: LittleWing Crystal Caliburn, Legends of Yore, Hook Worlds, Phoenix HD, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Spectral Souls, Bastion, Avadon, Dariusburst SP, Aquaria, King of Dragon Pass & Starbase Orion
12-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Is Age of Pinballs still being maintained?

Last update for Age of Pinballs was April, I think. Are there still plans to grow that app or did the devs give up on it?

Personally even after having put over $8 into Age, Id happily buy a 70s table pack inside it, and be much happier having it all in a single app.

Of course this prevents nickel and dime'ing the flipper and skin pack stuff. So maybe it is not realistic to hope for it.

Age is a GREAT game, and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it, at $8 or whatever sale price it is at.

Cheers and hope to see these tables in Age one day!
12-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Now available as a universal build in a Art Of Pinball Tables Pack app, including all five singles tables released earlier and another table. On sale now for $2.99
12-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Now available as a universal build in a Art Of Pinball Tables Pack app, including all five singles tables released earlier and another table. On sale now for $2.99
Thanks for the heads up! This is how it should have been released originally. Glad I held off on buying any of the previous Art of Pinballs releases. The IAP is expensive, so I would have been seriously annoyed to have to buy it again to consolidate the titles. Looking forward to finally checking them out!

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic