Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default FlyingDaggers by Sparklet Studio (action/platformer)

Just saw this on the upcoming thread, and was surprised to see it's live on the PH appstore. Currently downloading, impressions later.

Trailer Video 1
Trailer Video 2

UPDATE (September 15, 2012): A message from the devs:

------------------------
Quote:
Thanks friends keep looking forward this game. New update is submitted yesterday with new control scheme and until now the status is "waiting for review". i'm not sure when can be available on appstore. Auto shooting and double virtual joysticks make control's experience to be more comfortable. Here is test playing video for preview.

I have to say, at first version of this game, bad control feeling makes many friends disappointed. I'm very sorry for it. People really hard to used to it. Maybe we have developed for too long time, 18 months by two people. We always thought hardcore game should be liked that. Cut instruction, no easy congratulations, fast moving and just likes "Contra" in my childhood. iPhone platform is so popular, there should be some hardcore, serious game for game fans. So game difficulty got higher and higher then forgot the first playing for people.

At very beginning of game developing in 2011, we tried some simple, popular control schemes actually. However, original design passion makes us want the game to be different, be even better.I know of high risk but…you know….the passion of first time to make game. We placed buttons in the bottom for giving touch area as much as possible. That made down button looks strange in the middle of left and right. Left finger still can slide between left and right arrow buttons and the down button wouldn't take any touch event. Down only works when figure single click on it. I thought it was perfect. Sadly, distance between arrows I think is too long now.

Last week, we have test seven different schemes. Cross direction with two action button, one joystick with one button, no down button arrow pad with auto-aiming and etc. Finally, double virtual joysticks scheme I think is easiest to hands on. We combine jump and shoot pad into one joystick. It works much better than previous. Old control scheme is also maintained, somewhere I think old control is necessary. You can pick two control scheme at anytime. But I still worried about jump(needs touch down and up quickly to trigger). So I make this test video by myself to hearing your point.

Thanks to Exact-Psience, area, Mfox76, Janni, Darth Ronfar, Mrwubbs, psj3809, dr_watson and many other friends' advices. Your replies makes FlyingDaggers much better. And we will keep improving, fixing, update this game.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 09-15-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Sweet, anxious to see your impressions!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Trailer for this looks really awesome. But concept wise, is this sort of like a Super Crate Box/Muffin Knight arena style game? Looks like there's bosses and lots of other stuff going on. Just was curious if the main game is arena style as opposed to true platforming levels. Also anxious to hear impressions on the controls.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM

I think it most closely resembles metal slug in terms of graphichs and gameplay(also quality)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
Sweet, anxious to see your impressions!
This is a fantastic game... on paper.

It is marred by crappy controls. I foresaw the down button to be a problem, and it is. The double jump, has a second jump that's too weak (very low second jump) that it only feels like delaying your landing more than elevating your first jump higher.

I'd prefer it if they have the down button as a shield button right beside the jump button instead. Whoever thought of having a down button in between left and right buttons on a touchscreen platformer is just wrong.

Attacking is tapping the screen to shoot in that direction. This sounds cool as you have 360-degree shooting angles, but it also means your fingers are going to be everywhere on the screen covering all the action. There are 3 weapon types, and you tap to choose one, and tap the screen to shoot in that direction with the currently chosen weapon.

Another problem with shooting is that when shooting almost off the screen, you will always accidentally tap either pause, jump, or any of the directional buttons because you will be mashing the screen.

Having completed or failed a mission, you gain some gold from it which you can use to upgrade your 3 weapon types in between missions.

The game has a frantic pacing which is very good and the action never stops. But most of the time, your thumbs will cover it.

Levels are about 2 screens wide, in which you can only move forward if you have killed everyenemy in the current screen. When you reach the end of the level, you get to a boss fight.

You have a fairy with you which has her mana that regenerates automatically, which slows down time when tapped, so you can go apesh*t with all your attacks, or make dodging attacks easy.
Graphics is nice, but sadly it isnt universal so it'll probably look bad on the pad.

One thing I like about this game is the background music and the sound effects. It almost has it perfect on this department.

Im sure i'll be playing the game some more as I can see potential in this, but the flawed controls need to be changed.

Please devs, if you are reading this, make the controls customizable so i can move it around myself. With better controls, im sure this game will be a blast. Maybe a virtual stick shooting option, so your thumbs dont cover the screen, but that would eliminate the need to mash-tap. Right now, I just want the down button to be moved to the right, near the jump button.

Right now, at $2.99, this game is hard to recommend.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 09-04-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

And just found a glitch, but cant determine how it happens. Sometimes, the left or right buttons get stuck and you just walk into that direction. Remedy is to tap that direction to unlock it.

Ugh. For a platformer, it's usually the controls that make or break it.

Last edited by CygnetSeven; 09-04-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

^^ Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like it needs some work. I was concerned that the controls could be a problem. It did look really nice, but as you say a platformer needs spot on controls. And these sound like it's not even responsiveness that's a problem, but that they're not even really workable.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
^^ Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like it needs some work. I was concerned that the controls could be a problem. It did look really nice, but as you say a platformer needs spot on controls. And these sound like it's not even responsiveness that's a problem, but that they're not even really workable.
They are responsive, but they are just all over the place that your thumbs will keep fumbling on.

The game really does look nice though. I hpe the devs will pick up on these and make adjustments on the controls.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM

Doesn't look like a platformer really more like a action shooter? I dunno whatever metal slug is... For example you can't fall down pits and die etc.. Bqscicly it's the enimies that's the only objective. Doesn't seem like a game where controls need to be perfect, but I guess it could def. Help
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
Doesn't look like a platformer really more like a action shooter? I dunno whatever metal slug is... For example you can't fall down pits and die etc.. Bqscicly it's the enimies that's the only objective. Doesn't seem like a game where controls need to be perfect, but I guess it could def. Help
Well, it is like Spellsword or SCB, with the areas 2 screens wide, but without the pitfalls. And you need to clear the enemies to move to the end of the level for a boss fight. The boss fights (although i've fought only the first one so far) felt like a Mega Man boss fight, where you are stuck with him in one room with platforms you can use to avoid enemy attacks or position your self for openings. It definitely is a platformer, but a little bit more on the action side of things.