Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Default Quantum Legacy HD - (by Miles Godspeed)[Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Sanuku; 09-07-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

What's the difference between this and the free Quantum Legacy that was out a while ago?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I loved this game!

Yes it's on rails, and your job is basically to decided which one to lock on first, then using shields on time and shooting enemies when their shields are down. It's not really on-rails though. You have minor control over your flight rather than a full on-rails game.

The visual are good with it's art style, and the sounds are pretty intense during combat.

My question right now is this. Is the HD version completely the same as the first one in terms of content? I see thee are new ships on the screenshots, but I hope they expanded the story and added a few more upgrades.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionwebs View Post
Warpgate, spaceminer ore or bust and galaxy on fire 2 are just three games way above the genre compared to this game.

There was no exploration in the first game at the time they were marketing it as a game of exploration.

On rails space shooter always seemed a bit pointless to me.

There is Bound to be a few people that love this game which is fine. I do think there are others out there more deserving the attention though, good hidden gems a lot of people would have forgotten about by now.

This particular game got very boring very quickly, probably because it was too Arcady for my tastes.

Looks like the regular version of this game was pulled too as I can't find it on the app store.

Shady...

Could be wrong but I don't see it there, maybe they wanted to hide the ratings
LOL... Those brutal comparisons. It's like comparing Canabalt to Temple Run. But you have a point. There are better games in the genre, and it was a mistake that they chose to market it as exploration in the first game when it was soft-on-rails.

The reason why i liked the first game was that it was free, and the IAP is only for the impatient, as it needs some grinding to get all the upgrades unlocked. Also, it had more of a reaction-game feel to me which is something i love in quick bursts, with runner games being my favorite.

The reason why i didnt like the comparison is that this is supposed to be sort of a mini, simpler game, skinned to look fantastic, just like a space exploration shooter.

Now that it has a $5 price tag, I am not so sure what we're going to get because I thought the first one was worth $2 tops.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Developer Reply

Since I can already see "shady speculations" developing, I thought I would come here and set the record straight.

The first/free QL game had a development time of 9 months. It had 1 playable ship and 4 levels at the release (with another level added on top of the RPG-like upgrade/progression functionality that came with a free update). It was downloaded by over 50,000 people and had an average review rating of 4.5 stars. It was never mentioned by anyone in the press, nor was it ever promoted by Apple. The only thing it had going for it was the ".99 cent Support Token" IAP which was driven by the "honor system".

Before it was pulled from the App Store a week ago, the total "profits" from the IAP were at staggering $150. (That's less than 2 bills, and definitely a LOT less than what is needed to cover the original 9 months of development). Perhaps some of you are NOT surprised by this fact, but I definitely was

Originally, a few of the users on this forum called the above an "experiment" and indeed it was. All of the feedback from the players was gathered (including the lack of support) and was put towards the HD version of the game you see today (which now has an additional 6 month development time/cost added to it).

As for "what you get"? All of the info is mentioned in the game's description as well as the screenshots. The first game had 5 levels, this game has 20. The first game had 1 playable ship, this one has 4. The first game had 6 shield/weapon upgrades, and this one has 16. And of course Game Center support and a more cohesive story was added as well (as per the user's requests/responses) and NONE of the original game levels were re-used (so you should NOT feel as though you are paying to re-play the original/free game).

There is no IAP this time around, and I can assure you that the aim was never to "rip anyone off". If you thought that the content in the original game was between $1-2, then I can assure you that the content of this game does indeed justify the $5 price tag.

And as for the game's style/genre? It is what it is. If you are NOT a fan of on-rails shooters, then this game is NOT for you. It is that simple As mentioned already in this thread, there are plenty of "virtual joystick" style games out there, and while you could say that Q-Legacy is "inferior" due to it's on-rails concept, at least it tries to be unique with what it delivers (and is far from being just another clone on the App Store).

On another note: the members of this forum were one of the few who supported the original game, so if you feel that you were "cheated" in any way by offering your IAP support the first time around (only to see the game being pulled and replaced by another version) and/or if you feel you are unable to spare the $5 needed to "support" this game, please feel free to shoot me an email (either via this forum contact, or the support link on the App Store) and I will be glad to provide you with a free promo code to the new game.

Lastly, for those who recall the original game info, please keep in mind that Q-Legacy is NOT a product of a company or a corporation. It is the work of a few indie individuals who have invested their own personal livelihood in this project. And while I have always hoped that the "honor system" IAP approach could have worked, unfortunately 99% of the 50,000 who played the original/free game did not even bother to say "thank you" for what they received

I suppose it's a sign of the times
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
As for "what you get"? All of the info is mentioned in the game's description as well as the screenshots. The first game had 5 levels, this game has 20. The first game had 1 playable ship, this one has 4. The first game had 6 shield/weapon upgrades, and this one has 16. And of course Game Center support and a more cohesive story was added as well (as per the user's requests/responses) and NONE of the original game levels were re-used (so you should NOT feel as though you are paying to re-play the original/free game).

There is no IAP this time around
For that, I am sold. No need to be overly dramatic. Hhahahaa! These look good

EDIT: Downloading now. I just hope the price doesnt drop in a week or two, or that would totally be disappointing.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 09-07-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

First thing i noticed is that the icon has been recolored to blue.

Yeah... I still have QL on my computer coz admittedly, i loved the game. Now time to destroy some ships.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesG View Post
Since I can already see "shady speculations" developing, I thought I would come here and set the record straight.

Glad to see Quantum Legacy re-released with greatly expanded depth and content, plus the premium price-tag it deserves.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM

I gave it a shot:

New Version (HD):

Old Version:

Old 09-07-2012, 03:49 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesG View Post

The first/free QL game had a development time of 9 months. It had 1 playable ship and 4 levels at the release (with another level added on top of the RPG-like upgrade/progression functionality that came with a free update). It was downloaded by over 50,000 people and had an average review rating of 4.5 stars. It was never mentioned by anyone in the press, nor was it ever promoted by Apple. The only thing it had going for it was the ".99 cent Support Token" IAP which was driven by the "honor system".

Before it was pulled from the App Store a week ago, the total "profits" from the IAP were at staggering $150. (That's less than 2 bills, and definitely a LOT less than what is needed to cover the original 9 months of development). Perhaps some of you are NOT surprised by this fact, but I definitely was

Originally, a few of the users on this forum called the above an "experiment" and indeed it was. All of the feedback from the players was gathered (including the lack of support) and was put towards the HD version of the game you see today (which now has an additional 6 month development time/cost added to it).

There is no IAP this time around, and I can assure you that the aim was never to "rip anyone off". If you thought that the content in the original game was between $1-2, then I can assure you that the content of this game does indeed justify the $5 price tag.

And as for the game's style/genre? It is what it is. If you are NOT a fan of on-rails shooters, then this game is NOT for you. It is that simple As mentioned already in this thread, there are plenty of "virtual joystick" style games out there, and while you could say that Q-Legacy is "inferior" due to it's on-rails concept, at least it tries to be unique with what it delivers (and is far from being just another clone on the App Store).

On another note: the members of this forum were one of the few who supported the original game, so if you feel that you were "cheated" in any way by offering your IAP support the first time around (only to see the game being pulled and replaced by another version) and/or if you feel you are unable to spare the $5 needed to "support" this game, please feel free to shoot me an email (either via this forum contact, or the support link on the App Store) and I will be glad to provide you with a free promo code to the new game.

Lastly, for those who recall the original game info, please keep in mind that Q-Legacy is NOT a product of a company or a corporation. It is the work of a few indie individuals who have invested their own personal livelihood in this project. And while I have always hoped that the "honor system" IAP approach could have worked, unfortunately 99% of the 50,000 who played the original/free game did not even bother to say "thank you" for what they received

I suppose it's a sign of the times
So...you support your customers by pulling the app from the store? Some of bought it on release. I just uninstalled it a week ago to make room for Combat Mission Touch.

Thanks a lot.

edit: I meant in app donation. I shouldn't bitch, it was only 1 buck. While the original game was simple, I felt the production values and lack o required iap-purchases alone deserved a dollar.

I'm not mad at the dev...I just hate seeing all but the scammiest, contact list-stealing, etc. games and music generation/syth apps disappear from the AppStore (yeah, I'm talking to you, Amidio!). I just saw the typical pattern I've gotten used to in the first post and jumped to conclusions. Sorry, Dev.

Last edited by Greyskull; 09-07-2012 at 06:01 PM..