★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: BRAND NEW UPDATE: with new JAW-DROPPING RETINA GRAPHICS for iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C and iPad with Retina display, as well as new ON-RAILS action in the next generation arcade-style 3D SHMUP that is Quantum Legacy HD! Pilot one of 4 unique spaceships during your 3+ hour ON-RAILS journey through 20 action-packed ON-RAILS SHMUP missions filled with breathtaking cinematic game play and highly stylized storytelling, EXCLUSIVELY on the iOS! Featuring:

Brand New SHMUP DLC: offers a new playable drop-ship, 50% faster SHMUP-style game-play, new level variations, new graphics/effects, new AI, plus a never before experienced speed and finger-twitch ON-RAILS intensity worthy of a next-gen 3D Space SHMUP!
Enjoy Simple and Intuitive Controls: tilt your iOS device left/right to steer your ship manually while providing an opportunity for a skillful avoidance of enemy projectiles.
Alternatively, for a casual ON-RAILS experience: forgo tilting and simply tap your enemies to engage the Auto Pilot while controlling your shields and weapons with a smooth 2-button interface.
Bright and awe-inspiring JAW-DROPPING SHUMP graphics with highly polished game play will take your breath away! For the first time ever, Quantum Legacy HD provides you with full native retina support on the iPhone 5, and iPad with Retina display.
20 story-oriented SHUMP campaign missions offer over 3 hours of action-packed SHMUP-style game play.
Face more than 25 different types of enemies, including unique Gigantic Bosses in every mission.
RPG Style Progression System allows you to FREELY acquire, pilot and level-up 4 unique starships (including a brand new drop-ship) while unlocking over 16 different types of shield and weapon upgrades.
5 Brand new In-App Purchases allow you to skip the RPG grind and instantly acquire any of the playable ships! In addition, you can Restore your existing purchases to unlock content on multiple iOS devices.
Game Center support: with 6 SHUMP-DLC Leaderboards and 21 elusive SHUMP Achievements that demand an additional 10+ hours of game play.
Over 40 minutes of original music was created to accompany your Quantum Legacy HD experience.
Highly Stylized and Action-Oriented Storytelling is told through the com-sat radio of your starship, with full voice-overs for the game's array of quirky characters.
SHUMP AI with Dynamic Difficulty and Randomized Enemy Waves: provide for a near endless replay value, as the enemies constantly change and adapt to your style of game play each time you engage an existing mission.

>> Game Play Basics:

Steer your ship manually by tilting your device left and right, or tap your enemies to engage the ON-RAILS "Autopilot". To maximize damage, it is best to be facing your enemies directly before pressing the right "Weapons/Fire" button. Holding the left "Shield" button will allow you to deflect all enemy projectiles. Prolonged use of the Weapons/Shields will cause a temporary overload. Note that it is NOT possible to fire your weapons while Shields are active until you level-up your starship and unlock Translucent Shielding at Level 5.

Successfully completing each mission will unlock new game content while allowing you to level-up in an RPG-like fashion. Completing missions 5, 10 and 15 will allow you to FREELY acquire one of 4 unique playable starships.

>> IN THE PRESS: What others are saying about Quantum Legacy:

- "this is the evolution of the space shooter game." -iPadGameReviews.org

- "... youd be hard-pressed to find any space shooter that matches Quantum Legacys level of quality." -PocketNext.com

- "One of the best 2 button games on the iOS." -TouchArcade Forums.

YouTube game play trailer: http://youtu.be/RXzpPVo3WyA

Sanuku's comments:

09-07-2012, 08:27 AM
What's the difference between this and the free Quantum Legacy that was out a while ago?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I loved this game!

Yes it's on rails, and your job is basically to decided which one to lock on first, then using shields on time and shooting enemies when their shields are down. It's not really on-rails though. You have minor control over your flight rather than a full on-rails game.

The visual are good with it's art style, and the sounds are pretty intense during combat.

My question right now is this. Is the HD version completely the same as the first one in terms of content? I see thee are new ships on the screenshots, but I hope they expanded the story and added a few more upgrades.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
09-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionwebs View Post
Warpgate, spaceminer ore or bust and galaxy on fire 2 are just three games way above the genre compared to this game.

There was no exploration in the first game at the time they were marketing it as a game of exploration.

On rails space shooter always seemed a bit pointless to me.

There is Bound to be a few people that love this game which is fine. I do think there are others out there more deserving the attention though, good hidden gems a lot of people would have forgotten about by now.

This particular game got very boring very quickly, probably because it was too Arcady for my tastes.

Looks like the regular version of this game was pulled too as I can't find it on the app store.

Shady...

Could be wrong but I don't see it there, maybe they wanted to hide the ratings
LOL... Those brutal comparisons. It's like comparing Canabalt to Temple Run. But you have a point. There are better games in the genre, and it was a mistake that they chose to market it as exploration in the first game when it was soft-on-rails.

The reason why i liked the first game was that it was free, and the IAP is only for the impatient, as it needs some grinding to get all the upgrades unlocked. Also, it had more of a reaction-game feel to me which is something i love in quick bursts, with runner games being my favorite.

The reason why i didnt like the comparison is that this is supposed to be sort of a mini, simpler game, skinned to look fantastic, just like a space exploration shooter.

Now that it has a $5 price tag, I am not so sure what we're going to get because I thought the first one was worth $2 tops.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
09-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Developer Reply

Since I can already see "shady speculations" developing, I thought I would come here and set the record straight.

The first/free QL game had a development time of 9 months. It had 1 playable ship and 4 levels at the release (with another level added on top of the RPG-like upgrade/progression functionality that came with a free update). It was downloaded by over 50,000 people and had an average review rating of 4.5 stars. It was never mentioned by anyone in the press, nor was it ever promoted by Apple. The only thing it had going for it was the ".99 cent Support Token" IAP which was driven by the "honor system".

Before it was pulled from the App Store a week ago, the total "profits" from the IAP were at staggering $150. (That's less than 2 bills, and definitely a LOT less than what is needed to cover the original 9 months of development). Perhaps some of you are NOT surprised by this fact, but I definitely was

Originally, a few of the users on this forum called the above an "experiment" and indeed it was. All of the feedback from the players was gathered (including the lack of support) and was put towards the HD version of the game you see today (which now has an additional 6 month development time/cost added to it).

As for "what you get"? All of the info is mentioned in the game's description as well as the screenshots. The first game had 5 levels, this game has 20. The first game had 1 playable ship, this one has 4. The first game had 6 shield/weapon upgrades, and this one has 16. And of course Game Center support and a more cohesive story was added as well (as per the user's requests/responses) and NONE of the original game levels were re-used (so you should NOT feel as though you are paying to re-play the original/free game).

There is no IAP this time around, and I can assure you that the aim was never to "rip anyone off". If you thought that the content in the original game was between $1-2, then I can assure you that the content of this game does indeed justify the $5 price tag.

And as for the game's style/genre? It is what it is. If you are NOT a fan of on-rails shooters, then this game is NOT for you. It is that simple As mentioned already in this thread, there are plenty of "virtual joystick" style games out there, and while you could say that Q-Legacy is "inferior" due to it's on-rails concept, at least it tries to be unique with what it delivers (and is far from being just another clone on the App Store).

On another note: the members of this forum were one of the few who supported the original game, so if you feel that you were "cheated" in any way by offering your IAP support the first time around (only to see the game being pulled and replaced by another version) and/or if you feel you are unable to spare the $5 needed to "support" this game, please feel free to shoot me an email (either via this forum contact, or the support link on the App Store) and I will be glad to provide you with a free promo code to the new game.

Lastly, for those who recall the original game info, please keep in mind that Q-Legacy is NOT a product of a company or a corporation. It is the work of a few indie individuals who have invested their own personal livelihood in this project. And while I have always hoped that the "honor system" IAP approach could have worked, unfortunately 99% of the 50,000 who played the original/free game did not even bother to say "thank you" for what they received

I suppose it's a sign of the times
09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
As for "what you get"? All of the info is mentioned in the game's description as well as the screenshots. The first game had 5 levels, this game has 20. The first game had 1 playable ship, this one has 4. The first game had 6 shield/weapon upgrades, and this one has 16. And of course Game Center support and a more cohesive story was added as well (as per the user's requests/responses) and NONE of the original game levels were re-used (so you should NOT feel as though you are paying to re-play the original/free game).

There is no IAP this time around
For that, I am sold. No need to be overly dramatic. Hhahahaa! These look good

EDIT: Downloading now. I just hope the price doesnt drop in a week or two, or that would totally be disappointing.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 09-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.
09-07-2012, 01:04 PM
First thing i noticed is that the icon has been recolored to blue.

Yeah... I still have QL on my computer coz admittedly, i loved the game. Now time to destroy some ships.

09-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesG View Post
Since I can already see "shady speculations" developing, I thought I would come here and set the record straight.

Glad to see Quantum Legacy re-released with greatly expanded depth and content, plus the premium price-tag it deserves.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
I gave it a shot:

New Version (HD):

Old Version:

09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesG View Post

The first/free QL game had a development time of 9 months. It had 1 playable ship and 4 levels at the release (with another level added on top of the RPG-like upgrade/progression functionality that came with a free update). It was downloaded by over 50,000 people and had an average review rating of 4.5 stars. It was never mentioned by anyone in the press, nor was it ever promoted by Apple. The only thing it had going for it was the ".99 cent Support Token" IAP which was driven by the "honor system".

Before it was pulled from the App Store a week ago, the total "profits" from the IAP were at staggering $150. (That's less than 2 bills, and definitely a LOT less than what is needed to cover the original 9 months of development). Perhaps some of you are NOT surprised by this fact, but I definitely was

Originally, a few of the users on this forum called the above an "experiment" and indeed it was. All of the feedback from the players was gathered (including the lack of support) and was put towards the HD version of the game you see today (which now has an additional 6 month development time/cost added to it).

There is no IAP this time around, and I can assure you that the aim was never to "rip anyone off". If you thought that the content in the original game was between $1-2, then I can assure you that the content of this game does indeed justify the $5 price tag.

And as for the game's style/genre? It is what it is. If you are NOT a fan of on-rails shooters, then this game is NOT for you. It is that simple As mentioned already in this thread, there are plenty of "virtual joystick" style games out there, and while you could say that Q-Legacy is "inferior" due to it's on-rails concept, at least it tries to be unique with what it delivers (and is far from being just another clone on the App Store).

On another note: the members of this forum were one of the few who supported the original game, so if you feel that you were "cheated" in any way by offering your IAP support the first time around (only to see the game being pulled and replaced by another version) and/or if you feel you are unable to spare the $5 needed to "support" this game, please feel free to shoot me an email (either via this forum contact, or the support link on the App Store) and I will be glad to provide you with a free promo code to the new game.

Lastly, for those who recall the original game info, please keep in mind that Q-Legacy is NOT a product of a company or a corporation. It is the work of a few indie individuals who have invested their own personal livelihood in this project. And while I have always hoped that the "honor system" IAP approach could have worked, unfortunately 99% of the 50,000 who played the original/free game did not even bother to say "thank you" for what they received

I suppose it's a sign of the times
So...you support your customers by pulling the app from the store? Some of bought it on release. I just uninstalled it a week ago to make room for Combat Mission Touch.

Thanks a lot.

edit: I meant in app donation. I shouldn't bitch, it was only 1 buck. While the original game was simple, I felt the production values and lack o required iap-purchases alone deserved a dollar.

I'm not mad at the dev...I just hate seeing all but the scammiest, contact list-stealing, etc. games and music generation/syth apps disappear from the AppStore (yeah, I'm talking to you, Amidio!). I just saw the typical pattern I've gotten used to in the first post and jumped to conclusions. Sorry, Dev.

Last edited by Greyskull; 09-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.