Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

Default Any good freemium Tower Defence examples?

I know some people probably think "good freemium" is an oxymoron, but I'm doing a bit of research into the best way (or if) it could be done within the TD genre.

The kinds of freemium I really dislike and avoid are where the value is unclear and overall confusing. Say you start playing something and pretty soon you're not going to get any further without a coin pack - but how much progress are you buying? How many times will that be necessary? etc...

On the flipside, an example where I think it's used really nicely would be for example Hero Acadamy, where you can essentially experience the game and play it in complete form, and then optionally buy the other factions if you want to (which i personally did).

One thing I haven't seen though is a freemium Tower Defence example done well (not sure I've seen any freemium TD actually), but I'm hoping some one can point me in the right direction.

I would think maybe I'd do a basic level-set that more or less shows the game, then to get into it properly would be a once off iAP for all the main levels. Any other iAPs after that would be totally non essential.

If you're wondering why do this it all? I guess for me it's something new to try. The best potential it has in my view is to act as a more advanced and elegant version of the lite/paid staple.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

TowerMadness is a very good freemium TD game. The iAP's are just extra, better weapons or different maps. If you like bright neon graphics, Radiant Defense is also really good. Bloons Tower Defence is a classic TD and probably one of the best.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Tap defenense
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiplang View Post
I would think maybe I'd do a basic level-set that more or less shows the game, then to get into it properly would be a once off iAP for all the main levels. Any other iAPs after that would be totally non essential.
The Creeps is a great (free since last year) TD with a lot for free, and $1 level packs (there is also a buy all option).
Old 09-19-2012, 03:11 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Kingdom Rush is free for a limited time! It's one of the best and not even freemium!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM

Spice Bandits is the only freemium TD game I have played and it's borderline tolerable.

the game itself is a decent TD with great visuals and polish, but of course the freemium part spoils it.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Filing Cabinet in what way does Freemium spoil it? that's basically the kind of sentiment I'm trying to avoid if I decide to go this path...

I don't want freemium to affect (or worse - dictate) game design. I have reservations even about offering better towers for money because to me that throws balance way out of whack.

The content model seems to make the most sense.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Spice Bandits of course and I liked it!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiplang View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

@Filing Cabinet in what way does Freemium spoil it? that's basically the kind of sentiment I'm trying to avoid if I decide to go this path...
with Spice Bandits, you need to spend Spice [the in game currency] to buy upgrades for towers and unlocks and stuff. Of course earning Spice is tilted more towards IAP. [I would much rather have the game cost a couple of bucks but with an easier/more generous way of earning in game currency]

if you're going freemium just make sure not to unbalance the game to favour IAP heavily and it should be fine.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Go play army of darkness defense. Then thank me.