Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default WORDPLAY 1.5 - "Scrabble meets Tetris" - New Single Player Mode!

Hey, Team Springy here. We just released a huge update to WORDPLAY, adding an awesome single player mode. If you like Words with Friends or Spell Tower, you will love WORDPLAY.

WORDPLAY is a new iOS game we made that combines crossword-style gameplay (ala "Words with Friends") with an interesting gravity twist. Think Scrabble meets Tetris. Our goal with the game was to build a faster playing, beautifully modern crossword game. If you are looking for something different, give WORDPLAY a try.

WORDPLAY FEATURES

THE GAME - Simple to pick up, but delightfully deep.

SOCIAL - Two-player turn-based word game

SINGLE PLAYER - master the game playing against the computer

GRAVITY! - Place one or many words anywhere on the board. Then you hit PLAY and watch your words score as they fall.

REAL-WORLD OPPONENTS - Play multiple simultaneous games against your Facebook friends or random opponents

STAY IN TOUCH - supports push notifications and in-game chat

MASTER THE GAME - includes Game Center leaderboards and achievements!

FOLLOW US OR SHARE FEEDBACK
https://www.facebook.com/WordplayApp
http://www.springyapps.com

ABOUT US
WORDPLAY was made with love by Springy, a two-man Indie game shop from Seattle. We hope you'll check it out!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Game Impressions

First off, I really like this game. The game play is vey nice. You put a word on the board and score like scrabble, but then the word drops and the letters can break off and continue to fall, creating more words. It says that it's like "Tetris" but that is a little off line. The pieces in Tetris don't break off as they land on other objects, but I can see where they were trying to go with the description.

Having to plan out your words so that they can drop and form more words is a really nice twist to the genre and I had a great time playing the different Wordbots in the Single player mode.

I wish more people were playing this because all of the random games I've tried so far have left me waiting for them to move, but I guess it's to be expected.

There are GC achievements and scoring so we have another plus.

But I do have some problems with the game. The biggest being the ads in the free version. I don't mind having a banner at the bottom of the page, but this game hits you with a full page ad between EVERY move. That's bad enough, but you have to touch the ad first, and then touch the "skip" button. And often it's followed by some sort of survey that you're asked to take. I'm one who always likes to support a dev and buy the full version if I think I'm going to play for more than five minutes, but I almost wanted to delete the game out of protest for the overuse of ads. And I can tell you that I will certainly avoid any company that I saw in an ad like that.

In the end, I bought the full version because of the game play.

There are two things I would really liked to see fixed in the game, however. The first is strange, and I might have missed something, but it seems like you actually have to go out of your game (back to the menu) before the robot takes its turn. I've waited a while and nothing happened. Then I'd go to the menu and find out that it was my turn. When I had more than one game going at a time I would get a notice that the other game's bot had made a turn and that was okay, but it seemed like a lot of screen changing.

The other has to do with the touch detection. I'd guess that about 35% of the letters I moved up to the board were not the letters I was trying to move. It seems like if you move even slightly the letters will swap with one next to it and take that one up instead. Not sure what was going on, but it was bugging me.

And if I could have one more thing... how about a pass and play feature?

I've brought up some gripes (the ad one was HUGE, but I bought the game so that will go away), but in the end this is a very solid word game. Fixing the turn thing and giving a little more polish to the touch control and this will be near perfect. And having more players playing will also make me a lot happier.

Best of luck with the game!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Hey QuickWit, thanks a ton for the detailed review. Glad you like the gameplay! We're iterating quickly - hopefully we can address your feedback in the near future!

A few more detailed comments:

- Ads: We hear you on the heaviness of the ads, and agree they should be less jarring. We're actively looking at alternative ad formats for an upcoming version.

- Single Player: You shouldn't have to leave the board for the bot to play. Do you know if you enabled "Push Notifications" when the app launched? Right now, Single Player mode requires that Push is enabled (since the bots run on a server).

- Touch detection: that's great feedback. I'll investigate what's going on there. One thing we're considering doing is having a "magnifying lens" show what is under your finger.

- Pass and Play - yes, this is high on our list of features to add. We're hoping to add that once we finish making the app iPad ready, which shouldn't be long!

Thanks again!
Alex Malek
Team Springy
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM

Hi,

this is my first post here. just wanted to say that this is one of my most played word games, right up there with W.E.L.D.E.R and Spelltower in my opinion. I've been playing it for several weeks and I am really enjoying it. I bought the paid version almost straight away, and I can't really think of any improvements. Great game that deserves more attention IMO.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Hey Kris1974, really happy to hear you like the game! We have many changes coming down the pipe this year. Hoping to keep the game feeling fresh!

Thanks!
Alex
Team Springy
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 AM

Default Game Impressions

It may be just me but this app has stopped working since two days ago...the splash screen opens and then it just quits. I even uninstalled and reinstalled but it's the same...

Anyone else?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Hey Kris, sorry to hear that. Could you try restarting your phone? Sometimes the phone gets really low and memory and runs into issues. We also have a new update coming in the next week that should fix a number of bugs (as well as adds iPhone5 support!)

Regards,
Alex
Team Wordplay
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

I grabbed a promocode the other day and I have to say, I'm completely baffled as to why this isn't more popular around here. The design of the app and how full-featured it is set it apart from most word games I've played in the app store. Also, I'm generally pretty good at word games but this one really threw me for a loop when I started - it's really brain bending at first. I'm still having trouble winning games but I'm getting better and it's a blast. There's nothing quite like setting up the perfect sequence, hitting Play, and watching it play out exactly how you hoped (and sometimes even better than you hoped!). Also, the single player with four difficulty settings is so awesome for practice.

A few issues, though -

-First off, I've signed in to Facebook on the iPhone and iPad but for some reason on my iPad it still calls me "Anonymous" in all my games. On iPhone the same games call me by my real name.

-The other day I started about five games several hours apart and they all started against some dude named "Stephen S" who was always going first and never took his turn. It was frustrating not getting anyone new... will the games he hasn't played ever time out or do I have to resign and mess up my stats?

-Also, what is the "auto" difficulty? It seems to be the same as "easy" right now... will that change if I keep using it?

-It might be nice to add a Check Dictionary option where you type a word you hope to create to see if it'll play... I usually have to exit out and launch a dictionary app for this and it'd be nice if it was built in!

Anyway, overall this is one of the best word games I've played in a long time (even counting the much praised Letterpress) and I hope you continue to support it and find ways to get more people playing. : )
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
iPhone 4

Hey sweetdiss, thanks for the great feedback! Glad to hear you like the game. We're doing our best to get the word out!

1. Are you still seeing the "Anonymous" issue? We haven't seen that yet on our end.
2. Yes, games time out after two weeks. It will be marked as a loss for the inactive player.
3. "Auto" will pick the closest bot to your level, so yes, it will definitely continue to keep things interesting .
4. We are working on a "Check Spelling" feature right now. Hopefully not too long!

Thanks for playing!
-Team WORDPLAY
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotWheelie View Post
Hey sweetdiss, thanks for the great feedback! Glad to hear you like the game. We're doing our best to get the word out!

1. Are you still seeing the "Anonymous" issue? We haven't seen that yet on our end.
2. Yes, games time out after two weeks. It will be marked as a loss for the inactive player.
3. "Auto" will pick the closest bot to your level, so yes, it will definitely continue to keep things interesting .
4. We are working on a "Check Spelling" feature right now. Hopefully not too long!

Thanks for playing!
-Team WORDPLAY
1. I was, but I decided to delete/reinstall the app and now it's working perfectly!

2. Awesome!

3. Awesome!

4. Even more awesome! I can't wait : )

I've gotten some family and friends hooked on this so I'm doing my part as well. Best of luck, from a fellow Seattleite!