Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default The Disastrous Changes to the App Store for Indies

The new App Store in iOS 6 offers no exposure for New Releases anymore. If you browse to a category, you see only 'Top Paid', 'Top Free', and 'Top Grossing' (which is surely just a reordering of the previous two?!)

Gone is the 'New Releases' section to browse of a morning to find the next big thing. To check out the innovative niche apps that don't have a marketing budget to fling them up the charts to success.

The search results are now so slow and painful to browse (only 1 app on a screen at a time, and no fluid scrolling) that the chances of anyone bothering to look past the first few results is minimal.

They've changed the font so now everyone's carefully chosen names are getting chopped.

Landscape apps are penalised by their screenshots being shown much smaller rather than letting users rotate to see them properly.

We need to make a noise! We need to complain! If Apple leaves things this way then only the top of the charts will be seen, and they'll get to stay there, without anyone ever seeing the new games that they're missing out on!

Have you noticed these changes? Have you realised their impact? Have you tried searching for your games?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Yep - for the last two years i have woken up to check the new releases every morning. Thankfully I kept my iPad 1 so i can still do it this way but it really is proper rubbish. Can't do on my phone or ipad 2 any more.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

It definitely needs some improvement. It many ways it feels like a step backward and I really hope Apple sort it out quickly.

I spoke to Edge Magazine about this very subject the other day.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 AM

Yes, the iOS 6 app store needs major improvement. The loss of new release browsing is a huge bummer. It's also much slower than the old store. Still no videos in addition to screenshots - the only improvement for me is the new app details page.

There's also an ongoing discussion in the apple dev forum

Last edited by Future777; 09-23-2012 at 05:37 AM..
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 AM

Hi,
I am gutted and more than a little annoyed at the new App Store. I got an iPad simply because I wanted to be able to play loads of indie games. I put off getting an iPad for a long time because I never really liked the company and the locked down nature of the iPad.
Since I got my iPad in August I have really enjoyed monitoring the daily games releases, and as I have a professional interest in supporting indie devs I feel this a kick in the teeth to both my work and indie devs careers...
Now I feel like my fears have been confirmed.
Is there a way to go back to the old App Store ?
And how do you think the best way to complain is?
Cheers all.
Pz
Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

The unfortunate thing is I get the feeling Apple has their hands full with the iOS 6 Maps that it may take their focus away from the App Store.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I'm so glad to see other people actually concerned by this issue. My searching on the internet showed people upset about the change to search results but no one seemed to have noticed the lack of New Releases. Even that article on Edge Magazine doesn't seem to mention the lack of ability to see new things!

Being lucky enough to have had real human contact with a real human being at Apple, Iíve already ranted at someone. Apparently this person works in "iOS Developer Relations", so I explained just what it means for our relationship and Iím hoping that his remit is to actually care what developers think.

If you donít have a direct contact, use this form: Apple Developer Program Support

If youíre an end user and feel strongly enough about how crappy this makes your App Store experience, hereís your link: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/
Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Developer

Thanks all, I am also concerned by this removal of hope and have sent some developer feedback to the link provided by StarlitSkies above.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Good job StarlitSkies I'll send some feedback too!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:40 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future777 View Post
There's also an ongoing discussion in the apple dev forum
Could you point me to the discussion on the dev forum? I can't seem to find it!