Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Developer Services and Trade

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Default I got an idea for a game I know would make millions

I'm willing to teach myself to use unity 3d. I have 0 experience programming. I need c++ and java to use unity correct?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep View Post
I'm willing to teach myself to use unity 3d. I have 0 experience programming. I need c++ and java to use unity correct?
To develop an iOS app in Unity you need a Mac, iOS developer licence and a Unity iOS licence. If you've got all of that then you can build Unity apps either in Unityscript (Which is in essence Javascript) or C#. If you need any help starting off then feel free to give me a shout
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Why don't you just sell your house/car/family members and hire someone to do the dirty work for you, if you're so sure of those millions?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I have no doubt whatsoever the game I have in mind would be a huge success. I dunno if I'd trust someone else to bring my idea to life though I'd wanna do it myself. If anyone wants to help feel free and we can probably work something out percentage wise. It's not just a simple game though would take a couple years to develop and test.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Only advice I can offer here given you have no coding experience is make a really simple game first. Really simple.

Even if you don't ever release it and this simple first game is some basic pong clone, or just a massively cut-down proof-of-concept prototype of one aspect of this master plan, it will make the whole thing actually feasible.

What I'm saying is don't jump in at the deep-end until you've learned to swim. Although most of us just learn to tread water then jump in ;-)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonJim View Post
What I'm saying is don't jump in at the deep-end until you've learned to swim. Although most of us just learn to tread water then jump in ;-)
Totally agree, think many people think 'i've got an idea for a game that will make millions' and then get a jolt of reality !
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

People pitch me their million dollar ideas all the time, 99% of the time it has already been done and on the app store or it is a logistical nightmare. I'm not saying this to discourage but you really need to learn the boundaries and logistics of iOS and appstore marketing before you can really plan a successful app.

If you are truely keen to learn, lynda.com is a good starting point to learn unity. Along with all the tutorials provided on the unity website and community sites.

Definitely make a simple game first to learn what you need to learn, think of it this way, it gives you time to refine your plan for the perfect game

Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm pretty sure it wasn't their first project :P
Old 09-28-2012, 02:40 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice

Million dollar game ideas don't make money on the App Store.

Million dollar marketing does.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice

Also, the odds of you crafting a game of high enough quality game to make millions are about the same as your level of programming experience. Which is to say, about zero.

You'd be better off, as others mentioned, finding a good developer, a good artist, a good sound effects person and a good musician.

Even once you have all that, and if you make a great game, you still have a very low chance of actually making money with it.

Sad, but true.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
Also, the odds of you crafting a game of high enough quality game to make millions are about the same as your level of programming experience. Which is to say, about zero.

You'd be better off, as others mentioned, finding a good developer, a good artist, a good sound effects person and a good musician.

Even once you have all that, and if you make a great game, you still have a very low chance of actually making money with it.

Sad, but true.

Very true.