Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Is Apple clamping down on third-party app promotion services?

What do you guys think? I'm using TapJoy fairly successfully to get a bit of downloads, especially to get kicking with a new game, wondering how this will affect.

With the changes to the App store, promotion tools become even more important, however if Apple really sorts out the semi-legit promotion issues and forces EVERYONE to play fair, this may actually be better for real game developers, and indies.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...ws.asp?c=45364

(via pocketgamer)

Last edited by Samuramu; 10-01-2012 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: added credit
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I hope Apple won't be doing anything against promotion services like FAAD
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM

lol. With this change, something like "Chomp" can never happen again since it'll never be approved in the first place.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
iPad 2

I honestly want them to destroy those promotions... we need to stop giving our software away just to get noticed. It's creating a defeatist mentality among developers and is giving the consumer all the choice in the world to sit and wait for app A to go free after app B just came off a free promotion.

It's basically giving everything you've worked on away for free just to get noticed...that's a sad situation and needs to be solved in a better manner than you taking the hit in sales. All those titles given out means you lost money.

My company did it for 4 days with FOTD, we gave 94,000 titles away only to make about 200 sales in the next 3-4 weeks. That type of return is basically rape.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

From the sound of the new clause in their T&Cs, it looks to me like they're trying to stop apps from using App Store-like features to promote other apps. App Shopper, for example, uses buy buttons very similar to the App Store.

I've also seen a dating app, where the ad for 3rd party apps is designed to look like it is part of the UI of the actual app, in order to trick users into thinking someone has sent them a message and therefore tapping the ad.

I don't think they're going to stop the legitimate cross promotion of apps. I think they want to stop stuff like this.

However, I could of course be completely wrong. Will have to wait and see who gets affected by this.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Hi guys,

First post around these parts. Please don't bite.

I work for Chartboost as their Marketing Manager and would love to get your guys' opinion on our service and your impression of our company in general. If there's anything we can do to help you guys out in the mobile games space, don't hesitate to ask.

I've been in the games industry a long time (or as long as someone who's 27 can be in the games space). I've spent time at IGN.com as an editor, worked for Apple in their marketing communications department on iOS games and apps, and worked for another small mobile games startup that no one has ever heard of. Also have done consulting for EA, THQ and LucasArts in the past.

Ping me if you need help, advice or just want to talk about games!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by apps2be View Post
I hope Apple won't be doing anything against promotion services like FAAD
Me too, since we just launched AppRewardsClub.com and the associated iPhone/iPad app!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogX View Post
Hi guys,

I work for Chartboost as their Marketing Manager and would love to get your guys' opinion on our service and your impression of our company in general. If there's anything we can do to help you guys out in the mobile games space, don't hesitate to ask.

I've been in the games industry a long time (or as long as someone who's 27 can be in the games space). I've spent time at IGN.com as an editor, worked for Apple in their marketing communications department on iOS games and apps, and worked for another small mobile games startup that no one has ever heard of. Also have done consulting for EA, THQ and LucasArts in the past.

Ping me if you need help, advice or just want to talk about games!
Just wanted to say that I've been working with Chartboost (and Nate, directly) for the past few months on both the publisher and advertising side, and cannot say enough good things about the service and the team there. Nate makes every effort to respond to any emails as quickly as he can (which, given Chartboost's growth, can not be an easy task), and it's just one of the reasons why we're pushing to implement it inside each of our games.

The only issue that some developers may have is the type of ad, which functions similar to a near-fullscreen pop up. But Chartboost's dashboard lets you customize the frame so that it feels like a part of the your game, rather than a random popup.

Definitely check them out: https://chartboost.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 3.x

This could potentially have a really big impact on marketing of apps. The problem with Apple is they make things extremely vague and so we'll have to wait and see what the true repercussions are.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogX View Post
Hi guys,

We are using Chartboost, but in very limited capacity due to some issues we have with your service. Fist, every time we show an ad, 16Mb of memory gets allocated and it doesn't get freed until the app is closed. This is by far worse of all networks serving interstitials (we are using 5 others).
Second, running campaigns through your system is confusing. After placing the CPI bid and clicking compare, I get comparison with the CPC campaigns and even then it doesn't really show me any relevant info - number of expected installs, etc.
You guys have some very cool features and I would like to use Chartboost more so hopefully those issues will be resolved shortly.