Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Any developers/publishers with bad result with FAAD??

Hello,

First, I am not here to bash FAAD as we also had good result before. Though this time is not so much and just want to know how others with bad results dealt with the situation like this. If you don't want to say it publicly, please PM me. Any advice, opinion will be helpful.

Thank you very much!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioUFO View Post
Hello,

First, I am not here to bash FAAD as we also had good result before. Though this time is not so much and just want to know how others with bad results dealt with the situation like this. If you don't want to say it publicly, please PM me. Any advice, opinion will be helpful.

Thank you very much!
Well, the worst thing I have against them is their crowd is fickle. My first promotion things went quite well, the 2nd was terrible and 3rd time we used them was ok.

That and they don't treat all developers equally. When we came to them with a project they weren't willing to highlight it. When we asked some of our friends at a much larger publisher to inquire about the same game, they were all over it.

Same game - 2 results. Both times the game was apparently 'tested and rated internally' (paraphrase, I can't remember what term they used and don't care to dig up the email).
Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM

I see. Did you do anything about the one you didn't fully satisfy w.? like asking for further promotion? moneyback? etc.?

If I think about the money we spent and the total # of downloads from promotion, I'd like to ask for refund as I can't imagine running another promotion wouldn't make much of a difference. But I want to know what others did first.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioUFO View Post
I see. Did you do anything about the one you didn't fully satisfy w.? like asking for further promotion? moneyback? etc.?

If I think about the money we spent and the total # of downloads from promotion, I'd like to ask for refund as I can't imagine running another promotion wouldn't make much of a difference. But I want to know what others did first.
They offered to feature us again another day, though we didn't like that because that meant going free another day that we weren't planning on.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Any other developers to share stories??
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen)

I don't know well about FAAD but when I check some games that they did the promotion recently, non of them gain the good result.

I don't know how much the price is of a promotion?

Can anyone help to share me that?

Antony
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony.thai View Post
I don't know well about FAAD but when I check some games that they did the promotion recently, non of them gain the good result.

Antony

Well, last I've heard is that it depends, if you're an indie dev or a big developer. FAAD seems to have different rates.
There's another thread here somewhere where one dev stated that it costed 1-2k bucks but now can go up to 15-20k. But I don't know if this is true.
I'll post it when I find it again.

edit: here ya go:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...highlight=faad

interesting blog:

http://ragtagstudio.com/devblog/?p=44

This is very interesting when it comes to pricing at FAAD:

http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/pr...-for-faad.html

This might be the best read regarding FAAD:

http://www.pocketnext.com/stories/th...-and-the-free/

Quote:
With More Power Comes Higher Rates

What looks like a pleasant partnership is actually more like a necessary evil. Their level of success has afforded FAAD the ability to continually raise their rates. They don’t publicly promote what they charge ‚€“ their website doesn’t even talk about payment, and rates vary based on the game in question ‚€“ but I’ve spoken with developers who have said they now charge up to $15,000 to $20,000 to promote a game for several days (itself a misnomer, as games can be promoted for more than “a day”). An expanding service always has more costs to cover, but that‚€™s much more than the roughly $1,000 some corners of the Internet say they were charging just 2 years ago for their FAAD package.

It’s reached the point where most indie developers can’t afford to use them, contributing to the problem of the more wealthy developers buying their way to the top of the App Store charts. This itself is a practice discreetly condemned by Apple in a recent statement (see below), although it’s clearly still happening day in, day out. At the time of this article, FAAD is promoting games by juggernauts like Zynga, Com2us Inc., and Nexon Mobile. By and large, these are the types of companies that FAAD is interested in doing business with.

[...]

“You Need Us”

Damaging though it is for developers who can’t afford the service, the ones who can afford it aren’t always better off. We saw a prime example of this in an exchange we were shown between a developer and a FAAD representative. The developer was willing to pay top dollar for a promotional period with them but ended up having to back out of the deal due to unorthodox practices by FAAD. We read evidence not just of unprofessional conduct, but of some unsavory financial practices. The attitude in general is that a developer needs FAAD more than FAAD needs the developer. This is absurd coming from a company that poses itself as benevolent towards developers, and it shows what really motivates them. Perhaps worse, the public generally has no knowledge of what it costs a developer ‚€“ not including lost revenue from app sales ‚€“¬ to release their game for free for a limited time for FAAD.
Looks like the winner is always FAAD.

But the thing that riddles me most is your posting above and the post from you from earlier this year:

Quote:
I experienced with both FreeAppAday and OpenFeint's Free App alot last year. To be honest, I can't find any better free promotion server looks any better than FAAD now, but the performance is really not 100% depending on the service itself, I would say that it's 80% depending on your app, even we bring to the front of iPhone users something that they're totally not interesting of, it's still pretty hard to convince them a download.

However, I saw that App-o-day (a new service maybe), do this kind of promoting very well, but at the same time, app or game that they do the promotion is very selective though.

Hope it help you something.

Quote:

Antony

Last edited by Vovin; 10-08-2012 at 05:46 AM..
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen)

Sorry if I confuse you, sometime last year I worked for my old company Colorbox, while that company did a promotion with FAAD one for Dalton - The AWESOME!, but now I'm on my own way already.

Back to the topic, thanks for raising more things to read, I'm on it now.

Antony
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I used to use faad until i found things far better like TA's price reduction forum, appadvice, appshopper, etc.

I think their service will go down due to competition in the long run. I know i don't use it anymore to save the disk space too.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Default FreeAppWin promotions

You can also try the FreeAppWin promotions. Sponsor a contest (where the prize value is given out to the users to attract them) in the new online booking system - tapgen.com/developers

There are many options like a daily or weekly or monthly promotion duration and price is very low - from only ~a couple hundred ($250) for a daily run to min $1500 for a monthly promo.

The higher prize amounts attract more users.