★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Topia World Builder suggestions thread

10-10-2012, 05:39 PM
#1
Topia World Builder suggestions thread

I don't believe this had already been started so I'm officially starting it here. Would be great to get your thoughts and feedback about Topia so that we can plan future updates! Anything goes (obviously we have to choose what is doable)
Thanks so much for checking it out!
-Josh
10-10-2012, 07:52 PM
#2
I'd prefer it to not have humans. I don't want an Age of Empires but more of a Spore. I have bought the game but haven't played much of it yet.

Team Monster ID: pwrbyethanol

Quote:
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
#3
I'd like community sharing of worlds a la Eden. I know it'd be difficult, it's just a suggestion.
10-11-2012, 01:05 AM
#4
My number one suggestion for an update is the ability to save our world/creation in its current state and resume where we left off.
10-11-2012, 02:18 AM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candykiller View Post
My number one suggestion for an update is the ability to save our world/creation in its current state and resume where we left off.
It would be quite easy to save out the entire world state but, for complex reasons, a dump of the entire world state takes around ten times as much space as a recording of an hour of 'play'. This is an issue because we want to make Topia about sharing worlds. Obviously in it's current state it's a little useless with no fast forward but that's going in right now. I'm pretty sure it'll be able to fast wind at around 50x speed.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
10-11-2012, 02:51 AM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennX View Post
It would be quite easy to save out the entire world state but, for complex reasons, a dump of the entire world state takes around ten times as much space as a recording of an hour of 'play'. This is an issue because we want to make Topia about sharing worlds. Obviously in it's current state it's a little useless with no fast forward but that's going in right now. I'm pretty sure it'll be able to fast wind at around 50x speed.
Thanks for the explanation, Glenn. I had a feeling there must be some technical reason why we can't save the current state and resume where we left off. The ability to fast forward would certainly help a lot. Glad to hear you are working on it.

The world building tools are excellent, and I could easily see myself spending hours creating and tinkering with one world, but I'm reluctant to do so at present knowing that I would have to sit through the whole playback in real time before I can resume where I left off.

Great work so far, and I look forward to the fast forward capabilities in an update.

EDIT - Another thing Glenn, when you say it takes ten times more space to save the entire world state, how much space are you talking about? Is it unreasonably huge?

Last edited by Candykiller; 10-11-2012 at 03:07 AM.
10-11-2012, 03:36 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennX View Post
...with no fast forward but that's going in right now. I'm pretty sure it'll be able to fast wind at around 50x speed.
This is enough for me regarding savegames my suggestions for future updates are:

- weather: rain, snow, wind, etc. Randomized if possible.
- temperature: hot/cold regions, possibility to change temperature. I guess this is directly related to the aforementioned "weather" option.
- fish: I think you said you're on it.
- different water level: to be able to make waterfalls, mountain lakes, etc.
- more animals and interaction between them? I haven't played much yet, so I don't know the interaction between animals that we have.

I like the game idea as it is now: and open sandbox world creator. I don't know if my ideas are programmer-friendly or not, but those are the ideas I had thanks for your work. Even in its current state it's been well worth the 0.79
10-11-2012, 04:17 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candykiller View Post
EDIT - Another thing Glenn, when you say it takes ten times more space to save the entire world state, how much space are you talking about? Is it unreasonably huge?
The entire world state is around 3mb compressed, not huge but way more than the 100kb that represents a 15 minute recording. The fully dumped level isn't unreasonably huge but right now we're not sure exactly what sharing mechanism we'll be using.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
10-11-2012, 04:22 AM
#9
Why do you have to go through the playback before you can edit again? Is it not possible to scrap that?

Team Monster ID: pwrbyethanol

Quote:
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
10-11-2012, 05:01 AM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazynahte View Post
Why do you have to go through the playback before you can edit again? Is it not possible to scrap that?
The game has to run through the replay, it will be possible to fast forward through it or even have a 'start from where I was last time' button that fast winds for you. This is almost working here already and will be submitted very soon.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-