Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Pulp Diction HD - The Detective Word Game for iPad

Pulp Diction HD is the detective word game for iPad.

On the App Store

Trailer

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

MUZBOZ Games website
http://www.muzboz.com

Developer Diary Videos
And here's some developer diary videos I put together while making the game... I had fun making them, maybe you will watching them.

Music Research - Old Vinyl

Recording the Music

Voice Acting

Last edited by Red1; 10-13-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Ah ha, how many of you thought it was Pulp Fiction and clicked this thread, that was the idea behind this right? Very clever and I love it, the trailer's style fits into it perfectly!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 PM

Default Pulp fiction and dime store novels

Haha, yes! The name Pulp Diction is a play on words, partly from the film Pulp Fiction, but also dating back to where that film took it's name from, which is from the pulp fiction novels of the 40's and 50's.

Many cheap-to-make books were sold for spare change, often about hard boiled detectives, crimes, dames, the same material that were the themes for film noir films.

These cheap books were called dime store novels, or pulp fiction novels. The movie poster for the Pulp Fiction film is also a homage to the style of those dime store novels, that generally had colorful, sensual artwork, dames and guns! If you do a quick Google image search for "pulp novels", you'll see an example of the beautiful stylish artwork. So cool.

I actually came up with the name of the game before I started making the game... it seemed like the perfect name for a detective word game!

Enjoy!

- Murray

Last edited by MUZBOZ; 10-13-2012 at 06:45 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

This looks cool. I will post my impressions later.

Edit: Early impressions are quite good. This has kept me up for the last hour when I intended to get to sleep. I have just ranked up to an Inspector and it has already gotten quite challenging. The polish on the game is excellent and the variety of missions is keeping it fun. I always love a new word game that brings something new to the game and this one seems to do just that. Also, I love the detective vibe of the game and the jazzy background music works well. I am looking forward to playing more of this and when I have gotten further I will post a review on the App Store as this deserves some attention.

I think it may be cool to have theme relevant words score extra bonus points in the game (e.g. words like murder, search, client, weapon, dame, etc).

Last edited by slewis7; 10-13-2012 at 01:07 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Thank you so much for your comments.

I'm chuffed you're enjoying it!

I wanted to make a thinking game that could even keep me entertained once I'd finished it! And I'm really happy with what I achieved. I'm learning great new things with each game I make.

And that's a really good suggestion about getting bonus words for "crime related words".

- Murray
Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Review left on App Store

I was wandering around the App Store looking for a new case, but the gritty streets were filled with the same old ex-cons. They all had stories to tell, but I had seen and been played by those words before. This time, I had a yearning for something new. Then I spotted her and she had a seductive look to her that had me wanting more. The hour was late and her pay was right, so impulsively I accepted her case hoping that I would not regret it come the light of the next day. It didn't take long to learn the details of her situation and I was able to quickly dive into to my sleuthing. She was an interesting dame with plenty of variety in her ways and I was soon seduced by her polished looks. I continued investigating and found myself strongly drawn in. The many hours on the job quickly flew by and we finally got in front of the judge. He handed down a swift verdict - guilty of 5 stars.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Default Excellent!

Haha, I love your review! It's so great that you're appreciating the character of the game. Glowing. Love it.

Thank you for your enthusiasm!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Glad you like the review. I had fun writing it and I continue to enjoy the game. Best of luck with it.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Can you make words by dragging or is tapping each letter required?

Last edited by Misguided; 10-13-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post

This looks cool. I will post my impressions later.

Edit: Early impressions are quite good. This has kept me up for the last hour when I intended to get to sleep. I have just ranked up to an Inspector and it has already gotten quite challenging. The polish on the game is excellent and the variety of missions is keeping it fun. I always love a new word game that brings something new to the game and this one seems to do just that. Also, I love the detective vibe of the game and the jazzy background music works well. I am looking forward to playing more of this and when I have gotten further I will post a review on the App Store as this deserves some attention.

I think it may be cool to have theme relevant words score extra bonus points in the game (e.g. words like murder, search, client, weapon, dame, etc).
Your iTunes review was delightfully groan worthy but fit perfectly with the theme, touche!