Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-14-2012, 05:23 AM
iPad mini

Default Sword & Glory (by Ifelse Media)

Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 AM
iPhone 4S

Hmm.. This looks intriguing. May give it a shot.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 AM
iPhone 4S

I've spent a few minutes with this one. Is actually pretty neat. Haven't spent any money on it yet. It reminds me a bit of King if Dragon Pass in some ways but it is a very different game.

So far, the gameplay revolves around a simple one on one fighting mechanic. You can upgrade your character and your village through gold and epic points. It's kind of like infinity blade in that when you die, apparently the next generation continues and you keep your glory points but your silver resets I guess. Will play more.

Here's a link to their site. There's a gameplay video if you're interested.

http://ifelsemedia.com/

Last edited by Tutt22; 10-14-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Added link
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 AM
iPad mini

I'm sure it probably won't last long, bit this game has me terribly addicted. It's a permadeath RPG which gives it a roguelike feel, but everything is determined by decision making and sword duels. Instead of a dungeon, you're just dealing with a variety of typical life issues like rival clans taking resources from your land, people ogling your sister, and strange quests from people at your gate. The screenshots do not do the game justice due to its art style. You really have to see it in motion. The game is made on Unity. The real strength is the diversity of perks and character development paths. You can also buy gear and buildings to upgrade your home. There is IAP but so far it really hasn't bothered me, particularly since it's a free game, but it's there.

Edit: oh and you can change the level of graphical detail in the main settings. Took me a bit to find that.

Last edited by Royce; 10-15-2012 at 01:51 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Im quite cautious about the iaps, but im really liking the initial impressions of this one. The art style is really nice, especially the snowfall. The adventure game/infinity blade type gameplay is a really cool concept. ive had only two quests so far, but one i resolved through conversation, and one with my sword, nice! already several other quests have opened up as a result.
There seems to be a lot of things to buy and upgrade, so hopefully it doesnt requre too much of a grind or iaps.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 AM
iPhone 4S

I've come across one gripe with the game so far. I really enjoy the game and have died about 6 times in it and started a new life each time.

The problem I have is that there doesn't seem to be enough carry over from one life to the next. Despite the fact that the Epic points carry over from life to life, the things you buy with Epic points don't seem to. I thought that maybe by upgrading my village, you wouldn't have to upgrade it again in the next life. However, I found out that wasn't the case and the village was back to square one.

There is the option of paying with epic points so you can start off the game at a higher level when you die, but that seems like a waste since it doesn't matter how high you level in a life since nothing carries over. You do unlock perks as you progress which are unlocked in the next life, but I haven't found that to make much of a difference. You can purchase more epic points with IAP, but I don't want to spend money if its not on things that carry over into the next life.

I hope I'm missing something here because I really enjoy this game. I can see myself getting lost in it. It has a lot of charm and I think this could really be a hit. Also, since it's free, I wouldn't mind paying for something through an IAP, but I will not pay for things that are consumable and don't carry over into the next life.

Any body else run across this?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
iPad mini

That's half the fun It's a permadeath RPG, so you have to start over every time. As the game tells you worldly possessions go with you to the grave, only epic points carry over. I'm at the point where I can buy pretty much every building every game. If stuff like that carried over, the game would lose a lot of replay value. Think of it more like a roguelike than a traditional RPG or even infinity blade. You start from nothing, and see how far you can progress, how much you can develop your home, and how much glory you can amass before your inevitable death. Then start over
Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
That's half the fun It's a permadeath RPG, so you have to start over every time. As the game tells you worldly possessions go with you to the grave, only epic points carry over. I'm at the point where I can buy pretty much every building every game. If stuff like that carried over, the game would lose a lot of replay value. Think of it more like a roguelike than a traditional RPG or even infinity blade. You start from nothing, and see how far you can progress, how much you can develop your home, and how much glory you can amass before your inevitable death. Then start over
That's why I was wondering if I was missing something. I understand the premise of the game, and how it is supposed to work. However, I was finding that I was starting the same every time and I was getting to about the same level every game with the same amount of money. I don't seem to build on my epic points only gaining one per battle. I don't seem to be gaining any advantages when I start my next life. Sounds like I must be doing something wrong if you are able to progress.

So what I meant by my question was, what are you spending your money and points on? I've been trying to save and hoard my epic points, but maybe that's not the best plan. Maybe I need to spend them to get higher level to unlock perks that help me in the next life. I am so reluctant to spend them though because they seem to accumulate so slowly. You must get more the higher levels I guess.

Is that the case Royce?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM
iPad mini

I'm basically only making "progress" each time because I'm getting better at the game's sword fighting mechanics and learning how to most effectively develop my character. As you play, you unlock a ton of perks, some with prerequisites, and your perk allotment can have a huge impact on your success. Just keep trying different strategies. As for epic points, I haven't even touched the ones that you start with. I only spend what I can earn in a given game. If I ever have a game where I get tremendously far, I may spend some of my reserve on gear. As it is, I basically spend them on healing wounds.