Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Default Please help me decide between Ipad mini, and ipod touch 5th gen.

I am currently deciding between the two

Ipad mini:
+Big screen
+Ipad app market
+Longer battery
-$29 bucks more
- Less GB
- No retina

Ipod touch 5th gen:
+Retina Display
+$29 Bucks less
+Twice the GB
-Smaller Screen
-Less Apps

I am going to buy one before Christmas. I am going to be playing games, and 32gb is going to be good for holding all of my games, but ipad mini will have the better sized screen, What do you guys think?

Do not just say "IPOD TOUCH" please explain your reasoning.

Oh and do not argue.

Sorry for misspell on title.

Last edited by Infernado; 11-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Less apps on ipod touch ? Well i suppose 'slightly' but most games are universal. I've got an ipad and an ipod but theres very few apps i have which are ipad only.

I would go for the ipod touch due to more memory. Theres so many great games out there i think you would fill up the space on your new ipad mini straight away.

I'm a huge fan of the ipod touch as its so small and portable, the new ipod will be slightly bigger but still a great size.

Had an ipod touch for about 18 months now and love it, i read books on it, comics, tons of games, its perfect. Just love the smaller size of it
Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

iPad mini will be better for games due to the larger screen. There's a number of games that even though the run on my iPhone 4, they are far less playable then playing them on my iPad 2 due to the screen size - fingers in way and such. iPad mini seems like a good compromise, although I would like to see how well that screen size handles some of my board/card games. However if you also want the device for music, then I'd go with the iPod touch. You want a music player to fit in your pocket.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Ipad mini, hands down.

With the ipad 4 and mini coming out, there will be more and more ipad only games that you won't be able to enjoy on the touch. Plus the screen size makes it much more pleasant.

Remember, that just because a game is universal, doesn't mean the touch and mini versions are the same, far from it. Many of these universal games play far better on the ipad due to smaller sprite sizes, larger fields, and better touch controls.

I would never buy a touch over an ipad mini, even if you gave me $100, no way.

There will be more and more games designed for the ipad crowd that touch users won't be able to get cause of the mini coming out. Plus it is better to always get the hd version of games just in case later you go for the ipad 5.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I was asking myself this question too... I want the iPod touch for its size (smaller) but I want an iPad mini for its size (larger)...

So confusing is my plight.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
I was asking myself this question too... I want the iPod touch for its size (smaller) but I want an iPad mini for its size (larger)...

So confusing is my plight.
Then, I suggest getting an ipad 4 for it's even larger retina screen. Not to add to your plight and all...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Then, I suggest getting an ipad 4 for it's even larger retina screen. Not to add to your plight and all...
See, this would be the ultimate choice for me, but I'd want the 64gig and that's like what, 600 bucks? I think? And I couldn't afford that right now haha.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
See, this would be the ultimate choice for me, but I'd want the 64gig and that's like what, 600 bucks? I think? And I couldn't afford that right now haha.
$700 plus tax. So yeah, kind of hefty. I like the ipad minis size though, especially for women with purses. The new ipad and ipad 4 are too big unless you want to go out with a backpack all the time, which I have been resigned to do.

Ipad games are ssoooooooo much better than touch or iphone games though. The hd versions are usually far superior. So the gaming experience is definitely different. I would get the ipad mini.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
$700 plus tax. So yeah, kind of hefty. I like the ipad minis size though, especially for women with purses. The new ipad and ipad 4 are too big unless you want to go out with a backpack all the time, which I have been resigned to do.

Ipad games are ssoooooooo much better than touch or iphone games though. The hd versions are usually far superior. So the gaming experience is definitely different. I would get the ipad mini.
But I'm a man.

Haha, all joking aside though; the iPod touch appeals to me since it's a significant upgrade from my 3rd gen, and it's small enough to fit in my pocket.

But the iPad mini appeals to me because, as you said, the gameplay experience is enhanced by the larger screen. But what about the lack of retina display in the iPad mini?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
But I'm a man.

Haha, all joking aside though; the iPod touch appeals to me since it's a significant upgrade from my 3rd gen, and it's small enough to fit in my pocket.

But the iPad mini appeals to me because, as you said, the gameplay experience is enhanced by the larger screen. But what about the lack of retina display in the iPad mini?
Well, I always thought you were a woman, haha j/k.

While I love a retina screen, the ipad 2 screen is ok, and it will look even better in the mini since it is smaller.

But hd versions of games are usually far better than the sd versions, not only in retina grahics, but also in the size of the playing field, controls, and overall experience.

I never buy iphone only games anymore, and when I play them, I am disappointed. So by buying the ipad mini, you open yourself up to more games, especially cool titles like Mutant Storm, and there will be others soon as more and more developers make ipad games for the ipad mini and ipad 4.

I think ipad is a good compromise, retina screen or not. And web surfing, would be pretty good on it, on a touch, it's tough cause you are zooming so much. That is a big consideration too. Most websites will provide full page views for the ipad mini, for the touch, they force you to mobile formatted pages, would look like crap.

Anyway, start wearing a suit! I hear you can fit the mini in a suit pocket! Or buy a manpurse!