Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Default Phantom Leader for the iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phantom-leader/id574229507?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Not really sure how to do the whole fancy post thing... But it is now out and I keep stop searching every 10 minutes.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

It's the appinfo tag (with or without =all) encased in square brackets. Just quote me and you'll see it.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I have been tracking this on some other sites and I'm glad to see it released. I'm still debating if I want to TOFTT because of the price of admission. I never played the board game that its based on so it's a bit of an unknown for me. I am in the camp of supporting premium priced iOS games (Battle Academy was a no brainer for me based on the reviews) if they're good. Just wish there was a lite or demo version, especially for a premium app.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

My biggest concern is whether the tutorial is any good. I've never played the physical version, so it's important that the tutorial does a good job of explaining the game. If anyone gets this, I'd appreciate it if you'd address the quality of the tutorial. If I take the plunge, I'll certainly leave impressions.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

If I remember this was a decided complex game in its nuance and minutiae, so I agree the tutorial will have to be good, or at least good enough. I will probably pick it up but not right now. With Baldur's Gate and other anticipated titles around the corner and other board games that I still need to get (Titan, Qin, and Twilight Struggle, Talisman, Through the Ages and Cadwallon: City of Thieves around the corner), in my catalog wishlist, this one will have to take a back burner for me, and sadly to say, at that price when I could spend that amount in several other games I want. I'm not against a $14 app mind you, but there's just way more games and board games I am anticipating that take presidence over this one.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Only had time to spend a few minutes with it so far, but I'm not a fan of the tutorial yet. It's just some overlays on the game screens, and I think just reading the rulebook a la the board game will be time better spent.

Looking forward to some quality time with it though, as I've heard lots of great things about the Leader series in physical form.

And a pre-emptive please, please, please, can the price whining be kept to a minimum in the thread? We've heard it all before. Really, we have.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Just an FYI...

I didn't really take one for the team as much as took one for myself. I purchased it before I posted it as available and will give a review after some time with it.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM

On boardgamegeek.com, there are reports that the game does not work on the iPad 1. The dev has been telling people not to download it on that device while they investigate the issue.

So, anyone with an original model iPad, proceed with caution...
Old 11-06-2012, 04:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

After fist mission play through I can say this is just like playing the board game. I think it is a steal at this price. I don't think it is as emersive as playing the board game but that probably just the geek in me who enjoys going through the stack of cards and playing with counters. Great game.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:25 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
My biggest concern is whether the tutorial is any good. I've never played the physical version, so it's important that the tutorial does a good job of explaining the game. If anyone gets this, I'd appreciate it if you'd address the quality of the tutorial. If I take the plunge, I'll certainly leave impressions.
As far as tutorial goes... It's really not that complex of a game as far as rules go. The game does a lot of the work for you as far as figuring hits, misses and who is attacked. I'm not a game designer and am probably biased as I have the physical game but I don't really see how the tutorial could have been made better. It really does a good job, IMO, of explaining every thing on the screen. A read through the rules is mandatory though. This isn't a game where you can pick it up having never played it and expect the tutorial to hit on every single thing the way the rulebook can. As far as board game rule books go, the physical game does a great job as I never ran into a situation where I had a question that wasn't answered.