Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Word Wonders - The Tower of Babel (by dreamfab)

This game does not run on an iPad 1.

RPG + word game, looks very interesting. Also like the cool comic style gfx and the 1001 Nights-theme.
Too bad, not near a wireless LAN emitting device at the moment. Will try later and TOFFT in a few hours if nobody else jumps in.

Very good: Supports Game Center, iPhone 5 and iCloud game saves. Exactly my needs.

Official iOS trailer on Youtube:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Red1; 11-10-2012 at 03:47 AM..
Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Ok. Took the plunge since dreamfab are German developers, so it's a patriotic TOFFT.

What shall I say? I think there's a PC version of this game and this is the port.
Hoorrrray for Captain Obvious.

You can expect a full fledged game with a high level of polish. The game plays like Scrabble. You're encountering monsters and battle them scrabble-style. I think the overall theme and especially the comic graphics are very well done, the game runs smooth and has a good UI.
If you are into word games and like a shot of RPG added, you have to give this a try. This needs attention. Really.
A buck? No-brainer.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Ok. Took the plunge since dreamfab are German developers, so it's a patriotic TOFFT.

What shall I say? I think there's a PC version of this game and this is the port.
Hoorrrray for Captain Obvious.

You can expect a full fledged game with a high level of polish. The game plays like Scrabble. You're encountering monsters and battle them scrabble-style. I think the overall theme and especially the comic graphics are very well done, the game runs smooth and has a good UI.
If you are into word games and like a shot of RPG added, you have to give this a try. This needs attention. Really.
A buck? No-brainer.

Thanks....going to buy now.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks For the impressions, Vovin. That was enough for me and the game seems really good after about 20 minutes of play. Dreamfab is a good developer too.

There have been quite a few really excellent word games released recently but this one seems to have a unique enough angle with the RPG trappings and it is quite polished and appears to have plenty of content.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Wow... just played in English and the difficulty rose quite a bit. The game has a nice learning curve. As I got stuck, I switched to German. Supercool feature, multi-languaged. As in the app's description stated, use it to improve your language skills.
And it has tons of content.

By the way, I see the devs already in the background, watching us...

Folks, if it stays at this quality level, this will get my Game Of The Week vote.

Sanuku, gameplay video time!

edit: ok, now I got some spare time, so lets take a closer look at the game.

Put your headphones on because you're greeted with a slow, relaxing musical score right out of ancient Persia. The music will get a bit faster and more dynamic later, but never distracts you from gameplay. It is able to catch the mood and the flow of the game perfectly.
Graphics are sharp and crisp, rich and colorful, deepening the whole 1001 Nights-experience. The game looks gorgeous on the iPhone 5 retina display. The game starts out easy, but gets more difficult and challenging after you've learned the basics (in a well done tutorial).
Gameplay... well - I don't tell you about the story and also won't give away spoilers. You should learn everything about your mission yourself. In the game, you have a random set of letters as well as your opponent. Each round you draw your letters on a board (which changes in size and form as you play on) to form a word. The better, longer or more original the word is (depends on the used letters), the more powerful your attack at the opponent will be. On the board are coins and other stuff for you to collect and use later.
While you battle various and cool enemies, your characters progresses, becomes stronger and even learns to use magic.
All in all, this game has the typical "ok, just another round" or "just one last round!" feeling and can get quite addicting. The game is challenging, but never unfair or an enemy unbeatable.

For a buck, or even for three, this one is easily recommended.
It's a mix between casual gameplay and deep, tactical game. As I said, it has Game Center, iPhone 5 resolution and iCloud game saves. Moreover, it is an universal build and therefore a good choice for people with more iDevices.

I don't found any downsides yet, spelling and grammar are good as expected and the game didn't dare to crash yet.

I think I said everything you need to know. If your finger still hovers over the Buy Button: let it drop.

Last edited by Vovin; 11-08-2012 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: I spelt "spelling" wrong. Haha, silly me.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

PS: archievements, for those who love them.
And to you fans of very-much-gameplay-for-my-money: yes. Nice offer.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

There are a few good word games out in the store
which i enjoyed to the point of "that's it with my english".
Being able to switch the language ? Sold !
Thanks Vovin for the tip.

PS: Word...nders under the icon. Dear Devs, if your watching,
don't you have control about this ? Just wondering.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

One thing I can't find in the app is the ability to get a definition for a word that has been played. The AI has thrown out a bunch of words not in my vocabulary.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
One thing I can't find in the app is the ability to get a definition for a word that has been played. The AI has thrown out a bunch of words not in my vocabulary.

Yes, there are two things I noticed - the game made up a word I never heard before, but that can be just me. And it only happened once.
The other thing is that the character portraits should be more dynamic, at least of the protagonists. They feel a bit static. A change in facial expressions could do wonders. But that's not really an issue for me.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Are you, by any change, thinking of adding dutch? :3