Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
jamesallen jamesallen is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Isle of Man, UK
Posts: 26
Default How to market an iPhone game on a 15-year-olds budget?

If you were 15-years-old (like me) and had a cool unique game for iPhone ready launch, how would you get your game noticed with... well... a 15-year-olds budget?

You can see my game trailer at //www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XReXDmcc8c&feature=plcp, which shows you how the game works, or you can read my blog I've written since I came up with the idea in May at savegloop.com.

Any help or advice is welcome! Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
jamesallen jamesallen is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Isle of Man, UK
Posts: 26
Default

And if anyone has any advice at all on my game (design, gameplay) that you can see from the trailer, I'd love to hear it! Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Devcade Devcade is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesallen View Post
If you were 15-years-old (like me) and had a cool unique game for iPhone ready launch, how would you get your game noticed with... well... a 15-year-olds budget?

You can see my game trailer at //www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XReXDmcc8c&feature=plcp, which shows you how the game works, or you can read my blog I've written since I came up with the idea in May at savegloop.com.

Any help or advice is welcome! Thanks
We don't know what a "15-year olds budget" is.

People only care how much money you want spend. So name your price, in terms of dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Connector Connector is offline
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devcade View Post
We don't know what a "15-year olds budget" is.

People only care how much money you want spend. So name your price, in terms of dollars.
Yeah, some of us are so old, well maybe not that old, that we don't realize how much kids get nowadays for allowance or through part time work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Balloon Loons Balloon Loons is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 209
Default

Ok so here is my opinion. You're 15 and that's awesome that you did this at 15! Super impressed and it means you have a great future. Good for you! My suggestion is to improve your craft and you will only get better. So much better that a year from now you will look at this game and say wow I'm so much better now!

Use this as a learning experience. My bet is you won't make money from this even if you dump money into marketing. So don't worry about that for now. Just keep focusing on improving your skills and soon enough you will have something that really shines that will be ready for mass publication.

Meanwhile make some social pages, invite your Facebook friends and friends from school to join your pages and put stuff on YouTube. Also make some blog videos about yourself and your journey as a growing programmer / developer. And people will get interested. All this will pay off some time from now an until then you have time to improve your craft.
Great job buddy. Keep at it!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Comicool Comicool is online now
Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 95
Default

If you want to push the angle that your only 15 and developed an app, try contacting your local papers, community news organisations etc. At least you will get some recognition from your local community. It may improve your employment prospects and get a couple of downloads from some people who read about it if it gets published. Use those publications to further your profile.

Apart from that you can try mention it in a press release for the internet. PRMac is worth a shot at only 25 dollars for them to send one out for you. Otherwise there is not much you can do on a limited budget apart from the free social media etc etc.

Im also starting to figure that out, 15 years old or 26 years old, the odds are against you if you have a low budget and the competition for getting your game recognised over others is immense.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 AM
jamesallen jamesallen is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Isle of Man, UK
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devcade View Post
We don't know what a "15-year olds budget" is.

People only care how much money you want spend. So name your price, in terms of dollars.
I'm sorry, now that I read it back I realise it makes no sense.. my budget is a couple of hundred dollars (like 2 or 3). Nothing really compared to a proper budget I know but its all I can drum up at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 AM
jamesallen jamesallen is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Isle of Man, UK
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon Loons View Post
Ok so here is my opinion. You're 15 and that's awesome that you did this at 15! Super impressed and it means you have a great future. Good for you! My suggestion is to improve your craft and you will only get better. So much better that a year from now you will look at this game and say wow I'm so much better now!

Use this as a learning experience. My bet is you won't make money from this even if you dump money into marketing. So don't worry about that for now. Just keep focusing on improving your skills and soon enough you will have something that really shines that will be ready for mass publication.

Meanwhile make some social pages, invite your Facebook friends and friends from school to join your pages and put stuff on YouTube. Also make some blog videos about yourself and your journey as a growing programmer / developer. And people will get interested. All this will pay off some time from now an until then you have time to improve your craft.
Great job buddy. Keep at it!
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 AM
jamesallen jamesallen is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Isle of Man, UK
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicool View Post
If you want to push the angle that your only 15 and developed an app, try contacting your local papers, community news organisations etc. At least you will get some recognition from your local community. It may improve your employment prospects and get a couple of downloads from some people who read about it if it gets published. Use those publications to further your profile.

Apart from that you can try mention it in a press release for the internet. PRMac is worth a shot at only 25 dollars for them to send one out for you. Otherwise there is not much you can do on a limited budget apart from the free social media etc etc.

Im also starting to figure that out, 15 years old or 26 years old, the odds are against you if you have a low budget and the competition for getting your game recognised over others is immense.
Great ideas, thanks. I've heard of PRMac before and it sounds really good, I'll give it a try. You never know, maybe I'll be lucky!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 AM
jlauener jlauener is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42
Default

Yeah keep your bucks man! Maybe just pay the prmac fee.

Balloon Loons got a point here. The best for you now is to build your social network through twitter/facebook/youtube/... Get to know people, chat with them, increase your followers, all this will pay off in the long term.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent