Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to ns804apps
Default Xbox 360 or Playstation

I am turning to you all for some advice. I game mostly on mobile devices nowadays and with Christmas coming my 12 year old is interested in an xbox and a playstation. I am wondering which you all prefer as gamers? I am leaning toward the xbox as I think the kinect technology is interesting.

thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to Pman

Xbox 360 for online gaming (although it costs more, it is worth it), and ps3 for movies, services like Facebook, and driver sort of games is my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to ns804apps

I should have specified thanks for the response he will be online gaming mostly with it. He has an ipod touch and soon and iPhone for facebook and the social aspect. I have a blue ray player already.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'd go with the Xbox, but keep in mind the next gen consoles are coming out fairly soon.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'd go with PS3 and save money on the online features. He's 12, he doesn't need the advantages Live brings. Online gaming with Playstation is absolutely fine, the big games are populated, voice chat works fine barring cross-game and you get the advantage of a few less whiny kids since (and this is both a negative and a blessing) you don't get a free headset.

For a kid of that age, the difference in consoles is practically negligible, so it really comes down to you. Do you want to pay a monthly/yearly subscription when the free alternative works perfectly well? There are other small advantages too, such as controllers that come with rechargable batteries built in (just connect 'em via USB whenever they get low, no worrying about buying batteries or a plug n' play kit) and having games on a single disc rather than several is a nice added touch. Oh, and the store deals in real money so there's no messing about with magical pixie points, trying to figure out which combinations of points cards to buy.

I say this as an owner of both consoles with over 50 games on my 360, so it's fair to say I've given them both a chance.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns804apps View Post
I am turning to you all for some advice. I game mostly on mobile devices nowadays and with Christmas coming my 12 year old is interested in an xbox and a playstation. I am wondering which you all prefer as gamers? I am leaning toward the xbox as I think the kinect technology is interesting.

thanks for the help.
Kinect isn't really used for games very well. It is interesting, but there is yet to really be an amazing Kinect game. It's good for party games though.

I'd go for the PS3 because it has better exclusives, but if he is more interested in multiplatform games, the Xbox might be better, though you do have to pay for online, and it doesn't make for a very good all purpose media device like the PS3 does. Also depends on what type of games he is into. If he likes platforming games, the PS3 would be the better choice as there are few on Xbox. If he's into shooters, the Xbox would be better, because those are the types of games the system was designed for.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

You should try to find out which system the majority of his friends have so then he could play with them.

Also I would highly recommend getting the xbox. The online for only $60 a year is FAR superior to the catastrophe that playstation network is. And no this is not a blind opinion. I have had a PS3 sitting in my basement collecting dust, unplayed. It only serves as my basements blu-ray player now.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to Pman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I'd go with PS3 and save money on the online features. He's 12, he doesn't need the advantages Live brings. Online gaming with Playstation is absolutely fine, the big games are populated, voice chat works fine barring cross-game and you get the advantage of a few less whiny kids since (and this is both a negative and a blessing) you don't get a free headset.

For a kid of that age, the difference in consoles is practically negligible, so it really comes down to you. Do you want to pay a monthly/yearly subscription when the free alternative works perfectly well? There are other small advantages too, such as controllers that come with rechargable batteries built in (just connect 'em via USB whenever they get low, no worrying about buying batteries or a plug n' play kit) and having games on a single disc rather than several is a nice added touch. Oh, and the store deals in real money so there's no messing about with magical pixie points, trying to figure out which combinations of points cards to buy.

I say this as an owner of both consoles with over 50 games on my 360, so it's fair to say I've given them both a chance.
Listen to him, not me. Very good post by the way.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball926 View Post
You should try to find out which system the majority of his friends have so then he could play with them.

Also I would highly recommend getting the xbox. The online for only $60 a year is FAR superior to the catastrophe that playstation network is. And no this is not a blind opinion. I have had a PS3 sitting in my basement collecting dust, unplayed. It only serves as my basements blu-ray player now.
It might not be blind but it still sounds biased. I can turn my PS3 on right now and play online with my friends with no lag or notable problems, where's the issue in that? I'd admit to flaws if you'd care to name them, but right now you're sounding suspiciously vague. There have been a few spurts of downtime, but in general it's more or less what you'd expect from an online service, and at a far more compelling price. I'm actually in agreement that Live is better too, it's just not $60/year better. I'd probably pay a one-off fee of about $20 to unlock the cross game chat and party features and other than that there's nothing I want from it that I can't get from PSN.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I'd probably pay a one-off fee of about $20 to unlock the cross game chat and party features and other than that there's nothing I want from it that I can't get from PSN.
Well, lack of cross-game chat and party isn't due to PSN. It's because of hardware limitations of the PS3. Sony actually tried to get it to work, but couldn't. It's because they divided its 512MB of ram in half- 256MB for the CPU, and 256MB for the GPU, whereas the Xbox has 512MB that isn't divided, and is shared between CPU and GPU, so the amount of memory going to both can change on the fly and doesn't hit the ceiling as quickly as the PS3 does. The Vita's RAM is configured in the same way as the Xbox's due to this, which is why it is able to do party and cross-game chat.