Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default I have some questions regarding Apple's rules...

I know the basic rules for app submission, but I have this... rather crazy idea/question that I've been having trouble finding an answer to.

Can a developer put a sequence in their application that intentionally crashes the application?

On a less crucial note, can an application use the front-facing camera to take a picture of the user without their explicit consent?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanHorse View Post
I know the basic rules for app submission, but I have this... rather crazy idea/question that I've been having trouble finding an answer to.

Can a developer put a sequence in their application that intentionally crashes the application?
Why would you want to do that ??

On a less crucial note, can an application use the front-facing camera to take a picture of the user without their explicit consent?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Looking forward to the answers to this !

Why would you want a crash to the app purposely ?

"On a less crucial note, can an application use the front-facing camera to take a picture of the user without their explicit consent?"

Please tell me the name of your app as i'll happily contact my lawyer and start sueing !

Seriously, an app which takes a picture of the person without their consent (and then does the photo get sent somewhere without the users consent ?) Sounds crazy
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I can see why you might want to crash the app intentionally, as part of some angle to the game, not sure if you can do it though. Regarding the camera, I think it would probably be okay, just as long as you aren't using the photos for anything and maybe ask them when they first open the app, like when apps ask you for permission for using notification and things, just ask, "this app would like to take photos of you" accept/decline haha
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanHorse View Post

Read again and just said
WTF did I just read
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsIpad View Post
like when apps ask you for permission for using notification and things, just ask, "this app would like to take photos of you" accept/decline haha
Why would anyone accept that ? I mean an app asking to spam your facebook/twitter is one thing but an app asking to take pictures (or not asking) is terrible.

I hope RoanHorse tells us the name of his apps so i can stay away from ANY of them
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

This isn't some kind of troll app that shows a scary face takes a picture of their reaction and closes is it?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Alright, allow me to explain myself. I want to make a game about 'decking'. You know, hacking into stuff, the incredibly incorrect portrayal of hacking that the movies have been peddling since computers became a thing in the average American's home.
>photos
I want to do something like The Heist, where the player is contacted by an NPC. Specifically, I need a picture of the player for immersion. Taking it without their consent makes it a very surreal experience. The picture would not be uploaded to anywhere.
>crashing
Immersion. The first time you (inevitably) fail, the application would crash. When you open it up again, you'd be contacted by an NPC expressing his/her worry over you 'going offline suddenly'.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

dont think the OP will tell the name of his app if there is any but if it is possible than i dont feel safe using apps now but i doubt apple will approve an app like that but we have seen apple rejecting good apps and approvings crapps , crap + apps = crapps

EDIT : ok just saw the OP replied back , seems to be different from what i was expecting.but i will leave the judging to others

Last edited by mkpred; 11-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Look under EDIT
Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Actually, the planned name of this app is "GuberDeck," but that's dependent on the legality of the term 'decking' and the actual scope of the game (The "guber" suffix refers to gubernational, specifically local government).