★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: GameFly Games
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 39.8 MB
  • Version: 1.1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Chose a literary legend as your champion and take on friends online or survive waves of enemies solo in a word battle.

Universal buildbuy it once for all your devices!

What the critics say:

"The visuals are beautiful, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the gameplay is challenging, fun, and quite addictive" Christine Chan, appadvice.com

"With an art style that easily won over this English major's heart and battles that keep you guessing until the end, it's certainly one of the most action-packed word games you'll find on your mobile device." Giancarlo Valdes, GamesBeat

App Store User Reviews:

"Fun. Fast. Addictive. Amazing word game concept with character art to match." Mare do Well

"I love this game! Interesting and unique character designs and hours of endless fun." Rice365

*IMPORTANT* Writer Rumble requires an iPad 2 or newer, iPhone 3GS or newer, or iPod Touch (4th gen)

Words will never hurt you until now! With Writer Rumble, you can take on your friends in a game of speed spelling madness or battle against enemies in single player mode. Use your board to find the most damaging words and watch as your enemies take a beating. Unleash special powers to increase damage, get new letters, or save yourself from dying.

Choose from 6 legendary combatants
Use special powers to triple your word damage or black out your opponent's board
Challenge your friends in local or online multiplayer
Play against your friends with split-screen multiplayer for iPad
Game Center and Facebook integration to set up matches and compare scores
Play survival mode to increase your ability and set new high scores

dalbertson's comments:
11-28-2012, 10:53 AM

That looks good

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.

11-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Definitely one I've been watching for a while. When it was first announced it looked like it was going to be an ipad exclusive but now it seems to be universal.
11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Wow... and I thought that "Word Fighter" was never going to come out!

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
11-29-2012, 12:15 AM
So,did anyone actually try this one? I'm curious
11-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Who play it ? this game look interesting
11-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Added the trailer to the first post, downloading now
11-29-2012, 03:28 AM
Downloaded but can't try until later. I've got my fingers crossed that Thomas Pynchon's one of the 6 characters.
11-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Yep, this is another hugely polished outing that shouldn't go overlooked. The artwork, music, and gameplay all stand out, but I get the feeling it's not going to get the love it deserves.

The game is basically Street Fighter meets Boggle, with the aim being to create as many unique 3+ letter words as possible in order to do damage to your opponent in a standard fighting game "best out of three rounds" arrangement. Naturally, the longer and higher-scoring the words are, the more damage is done; trying spam CAT, HAT, SAT, RAW, WAR is usually not the most effective route. :P

There are six characters: Edgar (Poe); Agatha (Christie); The Brothers (Grimm); Jane (Austen); Homer (not Simpson); and Howard (Lovecraft), and in multiplayer each character has a pre-chosen set of three unique abilities and attacks that can affect the board, the other player, or themselves. Unfortunately, the game has no AI, so the single-player mode is a wave-based survival affair set in a library, where you choose your own three abilities and try to last as long as possible against a variety of slowly advancing... "things"... from the works of the writers in question.

For multiplayer, there are random quick matches, friend matches, local Bluetooth matches, split-screen (on iPad), and the ability to search for specific people. The split-screen game works really well, with the option to independently flip each half of the screen, so you can play side-by side or sitting across from each other. I just finished playing (and winning) a random match online, and the game goes by really fast; to be diplomatic, this is obviously one best played with - ahem - literate people. ^_-

The game lets you challenge people from your Facebook or Twitter, but doesn't become intrusive with these; there are also no IAPs to be found. In addition, there are GC achievements and leaderboards. The game keeps tracks of your stats, both in terms of your long-term accomplishments (win/loss record, survival score, highest scoring word, and favourite fighter), and your individual match performance, where you'll be shown post-game the various words you found and the abilities you used.

One off-beat thing I'd quite like to potentially see added is a fast-paced four-player "tag-team" mode for two teams of two people, where each player gets 15 seconds or so to play before their partner swaps in, and so forth.
11-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Unfortunately no story, no campaign, just endless wave mode for single player.

But still nice artwork and funny writers.