#1  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Hex Blade Hex Blade is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 70
Default Fast updates

I resently got an update for real racing 2 and it downloaded and install in a matter of seconds. It used to take about an hour with large games.

So I'm wondering, has the 6.0.1 update that I've resently installed improved app update speeds by any chance?

Last edited by Hex Blade; 12-03-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Primoz Primoz is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,786
Default

No, it has nothing to do with iOS. Apple updated the AppStore, so now developers can release "patches". So you only have to download the patch (or add-on or something like that) and not the whole game.

At least that's what I think.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Eoghann Eoghann is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,175
Default

An app store update or in game update?

Coz in game updates are commonly server based patches that are launched. Those tend to be pretty small. Blood and Glory II did that. Upon launching the game it would look for updates and they would take seconds. But those are patches.

App store updates are usually full builds of the game. So depending if you have a wicked connection or not, it can take minutes or much longer. But even then I doubt it would take seconds to download a full game build.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Primoz Primoz is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
An app store update or in game update?

Coz in game updates are commonly server based patches that are launched. Those tend to be pretty small. Blood and Glory II did that. Upon launching the game it would look for updates and they would take seconds. But those are patches.
Those are games that require online connection. That's kinda different Updating "online games" with patches only, was possible since... always.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Eoghann Eoghann is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
Those are games that require online connection. That's kinda different Updating "online games" with patches only, was possible since... always.
Regardless, the point was that it was most likely a patch and not a full build that he downloaded.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Primoz Primoz is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
Regardless, the point was that it was most likely a patch and not a full build that he downloaded.
Which is what I said in the first post. It's good that patches are possible now, but shouldn't somewhere say what the patch file size is? Or is there but I'm just missing it?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent